Nepenthes care

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

From the pictures I've looked at on this forum,I'm guessing this is some form of nepenthes. My friend rooted a piece for me and for all the beautiful plants she grows,she is HORRIBLE about labeling plants.Not looking for an id at this small stage but do need growing info for my zone,most specially growning medium. Soil? Live spag? Looks like she has it in straight peat.

P

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by bigred
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like a Nepenthes to me. :)

Here's a care sheet. Between Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato and cobraplants.com, I have finally managed to grow carnivorous plants successfully. I have about 230 now, including about 20 Nepenthes. :)
http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=32&zenid=5f5878f2b4a6ff34fb856758ccbdf46f

I grow all my lowland Nepenthes outside when temps are above 60 degrees (below 60 they come inside). My intermediates stay outside until it is 40 degrees. In Florida it is too hot for highland Nepenthes, so they grow on a windowsill under a grow light. Even then it isn't cool enough in the evening, but they hang on.

The ones outside grow in an orange tree and a rain tree, so they receive dappled light. I grow mine in a mix of peat and perlite with orchid bark thrown in. All nutrient free. I fertilize mine about every two weeks with very weak orchid fertilizer directly to the leaves (never on the roots or soil). They like open, well draining soil and rain water, RO or distilled. They tolerate tap water better than other carnivorous plants, but make sure you flush the pot with pure water regularly.

Since you do not know the species, you don't know where the parent plants are from. So what I would do is keep it where it is at until temps drop below 60 at night. Then bring it inside in a sunny window. When it produces pitchers, post those for an ID. If the plant has major problems outside, it could be too warm, and in that case, the plant may be a highland and may appreciate air conditioning.

For the sake of clarification: all Nepenthes are tropical, but some grow at sea level (lowland) where temps stay hot and some grow in mountains (highland) where the temps can go from 80 during the day to 50-60 at night.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'll go down to my friend's and see if her's is blooming so I can get a picture.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Most of the blooms look alike. The plants are either male or female, and that is my only experience with the flowers.

Your best chance at identification is leaf shape and looking at the pitchers. The pitches are the actual leaf of the plant, just like the traps on Venus Flytraps are the actual leaves. :)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yes..there's tiny blooms that had started in my friends greenhouse then dried up while aclimating to life on my porch. There's one or two new little blooms/buds now that it's aclimated

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Are you sure they are blooms or are they pitchers? Are they at the tips of the leaves or are they on long spikes coming from the main plant?

If they are on the end of the leaves, then they are pitchers. While my plants adjust to life outside of a greenhouse, it usually takes about 6 months before I get pitchers forming. I mist the plant a bit with rain water to help it out. Sometimes a lack of pitchers is due to not enough light. They need lots of energy to form the pitchers. When I grow them on my porch I get about 25% of the pitchers I get when I grow them under the trees where they get a lot more light. Then they pitcher like crazy.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yes,on the tips of the leaves...I ahve it on the front porch in morning light until about 2-3 pm(but no real direct sun after noon)It's been raining like crazy here so no misting needed

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Could you post a picture of the plant on your porch in the sun, so I can see? I think it may be getting too much light.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

picture in original post is where it sits

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am sorry. I wasn't clear. I was wondering if I could see a picture from a distance and during the morning light to get a better perspective. I wanted to see the way the plant lives. It sure looks healthy in the picture. Not like it is getting burnt -- when I first started with Nepenthes, I put them in the sun for a couple hours, and scorched the plants. They recovered, but I felt bad. I think that the plant just needs time to pitcher.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

OK..sorry*S*. I'm getting ready for garden club meeting here at the house today so I'll get a picture posted later.

north coast nsw, Australia

Maxima x Talangensis. How cool are these babies? There been on the plant for as long as i can remember.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Gorgeous.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

WOW! Those are wonderful.

I still haven't made it down to my friend's greenhouse to see if her's is blooming so I can take a picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.