The Return of BSV, Grandiflora thunbergia Part III

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Lovely flowers of the Garlic vines Susan (?). Jaye, I'm so glad you've enjoyed your BSV as much as I do. Here is a latest pix of mine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another, a close up. There are so many more buds yet to open on this arbor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's a pretty vine Kim. I'm going to have to look it up.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlotte,

The vine is said to be hardy only in subtropical zone(s). But I discovered that it's hardy here -- as a deciduous hebacious perennial. At the end of the season I cut them down. Mulch the plants/vines heavily, but remove the mulching early in the growing season to encourage them to return early in a growing season. The sooner they resprout, the more vigorous they become for the year.

editted for correction above.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 9:36 AM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim! When I looked it up I found someone else on DG in zone 7b that grows them in the ground.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

An update; all my 3 Thunbergia grandiflora were killed back by winter 2009 due to unsual and prolonged cold period. I'm just now working on re-establishing my Sky Vines. How have you been doing with yours?

Ooops wrong pic, I think...

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This isn't listed as grandiflora, the species. It's said to bloom in summer. Having been cultivated in greenhouse, I suspected that's the reason it's sending out flower-bud. pix was taken yesterday;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Today;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I bought a Thunbergia last year and wintered it in the gh and it did very well. Didn't realize it may be the blue star vine. I'll have to take pics of it and see if it is the same as yours. I don't recall it saying grandiflora on the tag.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Bonnie, the T. grandiflora maybe the species Blue Sky vine. Other could be one in the same genous.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Bonnie Thunbergia can also be the Black Eye Susan Vine in a variety of different colors.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, Jeri is correct. The Black Eye Susan can have several different cultivars with orange or orchid pink color as I recall. :)

The bloom is blue on the vine I have. I used to have a tag - maybe I can find it.

Here it is: Thunbergia Battiscombii

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Bonnie I like that one too!!! It is beautiful!!!!

Thanks Jeri -It sure liked it in the greenhouse. Just hope I can keep it alive since it is not hardy for me.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That sure is pretty Bonnie!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Every year, it's like a phoenix rising from the ashes - the blue sky vine! Glorious!

Donna

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna, how have you been? How is the Lilies growing season? Another blue blooming flowers that I adore in the garden. Remember the Baptisias? I so admired yours. It took several years for mine to bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

The one that I had for years did not come back this year. I will dig where it was and see if there is any thing left.

It will be one vine that I will miss a lot if it isn't there. Mine had the lighter blue blooms but Betty had one that had

dark blue blooms which I really liked. I guess we are never satisfied. LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Mary, we must have the same BSV, yours and mine. It's nice to see you posting. How is Betty doing I haven't heard from her for so long. About the vines, I lost it year before last....I just now replacing them. It's going well so far, but the weather has been really weird.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Kim,

Betty is doing better. She has relocated and has a new job.

I am hoping lisa and I can meet her for lunch very soon.

Nice to talk to you and would like to see you and Jim again.

m

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Please holler when you do and maybe we can all make it!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sis, am I invited too? I really missed you guys. Mary, and Jeri, please give Betty big hugs for me next time you see her.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Kim you are welcome any time!!! We still have to get together. Jim pulled storm units from Selma to Tupelo yesterday and is on his way to Chicago today.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I would love that Jeri. I just need to see what weekend she has off.

Kim, We need to all get together again, Love to see you.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Mary, we need to. Maybe soon. :))

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hope so!!

Oh, My Blue sky Vine has decided to make a appearance. I was talking to myself when I discovered it. Sure glad there was no one to hear me. I know a lot of people that would think I was crazy talking to a plant. LOL.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, enjoy. Hope to see your pix of the vine soon.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Had a major disaster with my blue sky vine. I had a lady come in to help me weed and put out mulch. She was working the bed it was in and asked me about removing the morning glory vine and I said yes. Remove all of it and she dug up and wacked off my beautiful blue sky vine. We replanted it but it is only about 3' high. Boohoo!!! Some days you just can't win!!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My goodness. Sorry Jeri that that happened to you. I replaced mine, but the vines appear slightly different, and they bloomed lot earlier than the Thunbergia grandiflora. Here are a flush of the blooms last month.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dear Lily_ love,

Forgive me for missing your response above! The lily season here is going to be amazing. I have a zillion buds. I learned a trick about three years ago. Rabbits and voles, the enemies of lilies, will not go near daffodils. I put miniature ones around my clumps of lilies, and low and behold I am seeing lilies that I thought had died, because the rabbits had bitten them down for 5-6 years! It's like a lovely bonus.

Your blue sky vine is so beautiful...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna, that's one valuable tip on caring for lilies. I appreciate that very much and hope others who may be interested can learn as well. I'll keep that in mind when I revise my lilies garden in the future. On the BSV, currently this new vine is yielding some more flush of flowers.

Compton, MD

I just purchased a Thunbergia Grandiflora. I am in zone seven in St Mary's County, Southern MD ,but have things proving hardy for zone 8 and sometimes , 9. Eucalyptus , Calla and Amaryllis, all return reliably.
I'm wondering if I should take a chance and plant it in the ground instead of in a pot. If I put it in a pot ,I imagine it would need a large one. Any ideas?

This message was edited Jul 9, 2011 4:01 PM

Compton, MD

I recently bought a Thunbergia Grandiflora. Although I live in zone 7,St Mary's County in Southern Md , I have some plants that are reliably hardy, although they are for zone 8 or 9. Amaryllis, Calla and Eucalyptus return yearly. I'm wondering if I should take a chance and plant it out instead of in a pot. If I plant it in a pot ,I imagine it should be a large one. Any ,ideas, anyone?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

BJ, the species T.G. is hardy here in my zone 7b. If you would trace this thread back to its previous thread and see. Only the toughest winter will get to them. We've had several tough ones these past couple of years. On average they survived if we mulch them well.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a pity it is not hardy in zone 5a!

Compton, MD

Thanks , Lilly. Maybe I'll put it in a large pot and try to keep it in our unheated greenhouse for the winter. I think I'm in 7A .I'll have to check.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good lucks, and enjoy.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

OT. Mary (busybee), look at what blooming in my garden from your garden. Thank you for the formosa lily bulbs you've given me.
Blue sky vine is blooming off and on all through the months. :))

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.