The Return of BSV, Grandiflora thunbergia Part III

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is the continuation of last threads, we came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/903718/

The very first flower and buds on the vines this season. Since I posted this thread back in 2007, I'm glad other DGer/gardeners have also shared the same experience that indeed this vine is hardy in zone 7b.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Baton Rouge, LA

Lily_love, did you get my dmail about the 'Frankie'? It's not going to make it if I don't mail it soon. It's looking very sad indeed!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello Evie, you've dmail.

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

Well doesn't look like the air layering is going to work either, how on earth do you make more????

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Very easy with these vines, coco. I cut the vines into 2 feet long section. Root them in water. They take a while to root, but that's all it takes. Keep them in indirect sun that prevents them from wilting.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 2:27 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More flowers opened up today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mine in water just rotted....

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

I've been trying to root mine in water since mid-July. Some rotted but none rooted so far- 3 weeks. I'll keep changing water and hoping.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I live nearby a lake --thus my water in a bucket rarely needs to be changed out even. I was wondering if the chlorine in your tap water is giving you (both) problem rooting/propagating the vines. Though, the sure way of increasing these is by devision -- if you've followed my thread from the very beginning -- that was how I jump-started my vines back in 2005/2006.

During the heat of summer, susan and coco. I try to root only those that are trimmed back to keep the arbor looks tidy. I've a 3 feet tip cutting that I kept it in with the bucket that I was rooting my brugmansias in, it has been couple of weeks, no root forming yet, but there is signs that the roots are about to form. (the vine looks fresh -- without wilting or rot), I'll send some pix later this afternoon.

editted to add; I've got side tracted and forgot to update. No pix but the little vine/cutting was transplanted into soil medium and it's growing at present. (8/21/09)

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 2:54 PM

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Just found this thread. Now I know why I save rain water. I have discovered a spot in back of my husband's workshop where I can collect some rainwater. I pour it up into gallon jugs to keep mosquito's down. I just thought it would be good for the plants.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The vines today:

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Well I have failed once again, but strangely I have one in the kitchen, been in water about a month, not rotting, not rooting but still looking very pert and happy..weird!

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

Yes, I have 3 from the mid-July batch that look happy but not rooting nor rotting. Come on, guys, put some roots out!
Susan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's very characteristic of the vine, lol. I've one that did that. So I potted it up and it's looking real good in potting soil now.

Oh maybe I will try that, what medium do you recommend?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I use Promix or Sunshine - 8. or any commercial potting soil will do. :-)

Thanks Lily will try this weekend. My vine in the tree is thriving but I am so frustrated I can't get any cuttings to take, I am usually quite good at that.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's a real challenge with rooting these vine, Coco. Good lucks. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Lily,

I ordered a BSV mid summer and it is growing very well. I didn't plant it in the ground because I thought it would freeze out here in central Arkansas, z7b. I really don't have a place to over winter it so think I might plant it in ground and mulch real well, just to see if it will over winter here, especially since you've had such good luck. We probably have a bit more cold than you do but if I don't try it, I'll never know.

I also took a BSV cutting and stuck it in ProMix. Just kept it damp and shaded. I haven't tugged on it but it is putting out new runners so I'm assuming it is ... or about ... to put on roots. I think I'll take a few more and see if I get lucky again. It is such a lovely, lush looking vine and a very fast grower. If I could get it to come back for me here, it would be wonderful. It doesn't seem to have a pest problem, unlike the Morning Glories, which are looking pretty tacky and ragged.

Anyway, just wanted to say 'thank you' to all the contributors for a great thread.

Mary

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Mary, I'm glad that you've found the thread helpful. Should you locale is bit colder. I would recommend take cuttings at the end of the growing season, just in case. At the mean time -- enjoy.

Heavy mulch is key if our ground doesn't freeze. And remember, to pull the mulch off the base of the plant in early spring to allow the soil to 'warm up' and allow light in for the plant to take off at the beginning of the the growing season.

Thanks Mary, I will keep persevering. Sue

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The vines are at their peak for the season. Many buds are forming that give the arbor a continuous blooms of blue flowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More blooms:

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful bloom!

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

There are 1/4" roots on one of the cuttings I put in water in mid-July- it took 8 weeks to get those precious quarter-inch roots!

That is great news that I can propagate my plant by cuttings, since I have teased out as many rooted cuttings from the mother plant as I dare; any more and I damage the main rootball.

I think I will try to put dirt over many of the stems as well as mulch around the rootball this winter. I'd like to see if any of the stems may sprout roots over the winter while covered; it is worth a shot since they will die anyway. Lily_love, what do you think? Have you given away a lot of cuttings?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Susan, yes I've. I gave a local friendly nursery a bunch of cuttings year before last. I didn't follow up with them and see how they did with them. :-)

I hate to part with these vines at the end of the growing season. But, I don't have room to take cuttings either. Giving away. I may need to advertise on local newspapers and invite gardeners to come and take their own cuttings. 'Cause I ain't going to do all the work for free. It's too much work and dedication involved.

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

Yes, I agree, I only have a million and one other projects that are unfinished to work on....

I will try covering some 'cuttings' with dirt and see if they root for next spring. People do ask me for them in trade so I'd like to have some ready.

Thanks, Susan

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, it takes preparation for trade and RU, I attended several RU in LA. and I enjoyed the time shared with other gardeners and friends. BSV trading takes some time investment. One of those good things that doesn't happen over night.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2009 3:59 PM

Lily Love I think I have finally succeeded, both in water, yes I agree I spend so much time, money and effort making things I actualyy don't want tand giving them away, I just get sooo much pleasure in knowing I can do it (_)

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Kim,
As usual your vines are in full bloom and mine are just getting started.
this year the coral vine (rose 0f Montana) vine made a big showing and covered the blue sky vine. That may be why it is so slow in making a apperance. I want the dark flowered one but so far I have not found it. I think Cindy and Betty both got them from Forest Hill. It has'nt been convient for me to go yet.
Hugs
Mary

Re-potted my two water babies today, is there a formula for knowing which cuttings are good in water as oposed to soil or any other medium, I tried more than a dozen in soil, even tried air layering, anyway now I have two babies I am happy. Also two baby brugs coming yipeee!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Kim dear, I am still in awe of these beautiful flowers.
2009 and look at this cluster. Who can get tired of these beauties year after year.
Yes, it's one of your babies you graciously let me have more than a year ago.
I'm very 'over' protective of them. When MIL failed to overwinter hers, I refused to let her have another cutting :( She had to drive up to the house to enjoy these angels.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Heavenscape yours are much mor 'blue' than mine, are there different shades like plumbago? tha is a love picture.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I found the ones facing Northwest is the bluest.
This here faces Southwest. Taking a different hue.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

See mine are not as deep as yours.

Thumbnail by cocoloba
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Guess it's all about location.
DH says the one facing South is 'totally' blue! This vine was transplanted late in July.
Don't mind the makings of a garden spider in pic.
The BSVs love to be fed.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

you mean they actually eat spiders? Ours here are as bit as your hand!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Well if you offer your hand as snack, they might take up the offer!

No matter which shade of blue these BSVs blooms become, they're a treasure to have in any garden.

I posted two pics after this one, lost in cyber space?

This is my garlic vine, love it but wish it was more prolific, only blooms a couple of times a year and only for a few days.

Thumbnail by cocoloba

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.