Posey County Cantalope Photo

Hopkinsville, KY

My wife stopped at a produce stand in Indiana an got some Posey County Cantalopes. We always get them when we go through there in season. Talk about big and such great flavor. All four of them weighed over 10lbs each.

Thumbnail by kygreg2000
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Wow! Do you have any idea of the variety name or what they might do for fertilizer. I know I've never seen any cantalope approach 10 lbs. What do they charge for one of those?

Hopkinsville, KY

I don't have a clue as to what variety they are but maybe a small chance I can find out. I live about 4 or 5 hours from the area and I know they ship them out for at least a couple of hundred miles. I have bought them locally for as little as 1.99 but these were in the 5lb range. The ones we just bought were very reasonable I thought. $2.50 each.

I think it may be like the Vidalia onion, the Grainger County Tennessee tomato, or the Hanover County, Virginia tomato in that is more where it grown than the variety itself but someone with more knowledge may want to comment about that. I will be happy to try to save you seeds if you want.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

$2.50 is more than reasonable. The little ones cost $2 here. I haven't grown any for awhile. This year all my space went to mostly heirloom maters which were a great success. I expect to still have sauce next spring so I'll spare some room for cantaloupes. Thanks for the offer but I've got seeds for Honey Rocks. I just think those 10 pounders are amazing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.