Adenium

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Funniest thing, Jim: I went on e-Bay to see who had adenium seeds for sale. An auction on 30 "Dance Of Butterflies" adenium seeds was ending in 3 minutes. There was only 1 bid at $0.99, so I bid $1.04 on the lot of 30 seeds. Wouldn't you know it, I won the auction. The phytosanitary certificate will cost me $1.99 and the shipping if $4.00. They'll come from Thailand.

For $7.03, I guess I made a good deal. We'll see what comes from that.

Sylvain.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wow Sylvain, I hope you have better luck then I do with those seeds, do you know what color Dance of Butterflies is? Your going to have to check out WQPs how to make your desert rose produce seeds, he gives great instructions for planting them, but start at the top of his thread which is now getting very very long. Jim

What colour is the Dance of Butterflies adenium? It's hard to describe: "freaky pink on a heavy dose of crack" would be my best description. I include a picture which, I am told, is worth a thousand words.

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Fort Lauderdale, FL

LOL, I will have to ask my friend Joe if the colors look familiar. It is a pretty one I think.

There's a lot of work still until it actually blooms but nothing ventured, nothing ventured... or something like that.

I make an awesome cosmopolitain. HMMM! Actually, I just had two. That's a rare event: me partaking in cocktails when noone is home. Hey, it happens. My quotes tend to be kind of mishkabibbled after that.

Sylvain.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

I am also awaiting an order from Thailand. I usually perfer to stay within the states but I wanted to try some different types that I haven't seen around here. With the increase of travel time to get to me, I wonder what kind of germination rate I will be able to get... we shall see!

mulege, Mexico

Mine went from Thialand to Ca. to Mexico and I'm getting about 50% germination.

kb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Katibear, still a lot better then what I've gotten, but I will try try again till I get it right.

mulege, Mexico

It's better than most of the seeds I've gotten from Horizon Herbs and other high-priced sites. I'm happy. And I'm still spraying the containers so I may get more.

kb

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

Katie, they ship to Mexico? or you brought them across the border yourself? I wish I could find a way to have seeds shipped here. I'm much too far from the US border to make that work very often. I'm close to Belize but doubt that would be any better.

mulege, Mexico

The seller said he would ship to me in Mexico but then he used the Ca. address. Luckily I was in Ca. shortly after they arrived.

Packages sent to Mexico often get lost in the mail. Or destroyed.

If you can have someone send you a small mailer marked "collectibles" that has worked. I've also gotten seeds from JLHudson sent to me here successfully.

In dealing with the ebay sellers who are in Thialand or Viet Nam there is a big language difference which adds to the confusion.

Just remembered I also got seeds from Johnnysseeds - a replacement when they made a mistake on my order. Packages which I received were sent with a return receipt requested, but not insured.

kb

Hi, everyone.

Extranjera, I will be in Bélize in February 2010 for one day. Would seeds mailed to you from Bélize have a better chance of reaching you? If so, I would be happy to oblige.

Sylvain.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pureplants, I hope when you get and plant your seeds from Thailand yoiu keep posting about how many you planted and what your success was...Jim

Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

I get mail here at my house regularly, so far nothing has disappeared. It's about 2 weeks from the US, 3 weeks from Canada - rarely shorter. I receive credit cards, debit cards and all sorts of other stuff. However, my concern is the certs needed to mail seeds or plants, if they did look and discovered seeds I believe they would confiscate them without the phyto-xxx papers.

That's a kind offer Lou but my experience with Belize tells me that my mail service here in Mexico is hugely more efficient than that in Belize. Plus, the same phyto cert problem would no doubt ensure it disappeared.

I have heard that there is a British company that ships seeds without additional charges to Mexico. I have to do more research to find out the name.

mulege, Mexico

I've received packages from the States that were marked seeds. No problem. I don't know the legalities but I haven't had a problem.

kb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Sylvain, I hope you post that Dance desert rose on WQPs new "Just Desert rose pictures" thread, I think you'd get a lot of feed back, the more I look at it the more I like it

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Live in the Bahamas and have lots of beautiful desert roses, but just received my first seeds and need help in planting. Where do I find the wondrous Wilfred's information? Any other planting tips?

mulege, Mexico

I sprinkle mine on a bed of perlite and spray them about twice a day with plain water. I've been getting about 50% germination.

I think the info on Wilfred's thread is higher up on this thread.

kb

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mooshkadoo, All the information you could possibly want is on a thread called How to make your desert rose produce seed posted by Wilfred, I don't know how to do links, but would bet that some kind heart will see your question and post the thread for you, or you could just click on Wilfreds name (his screen name is WQP) and it will show the threads he has started. The thread is a VERY long one and we've decided to start a new one called Wilfreds family of desert rose growers, where you will find many like minded souls and one guy who whines a lot^_^ Jim

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Jim, thanks for your quick reply. I managed to find both Wilfred's thread on seeding desert roses and the newer thread of Wilfred's family of desert rose growers. I'm happy and proud to be a new member. I'll start posting over there.
Thanks so much.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wilfred has been a God send for growers of desert rose, good luck with yours. Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.