Share pics of garden "friends"

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I found a momma and a baby wooly bear today

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, I read in BugFiles today that their weather prediction abilities were just folklore. Are these the kind of moths that eat your clothes?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It's the larvae that will eat your woolies because moths lay their eggs in them. So just make sure to keep all moths out of your house.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jen. I have had clothes eating moth problems since I moved here. BugFiles said that they are attracted to Maples. Well, there are sure plenty of them here.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't know if someone released them or just normal swarming... but my house was covered with lady beetles today... had to take a few out of the house... stow a ways!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here too.... it was CRAZY. Hubby came outside and they decided to hitch a ride. There was about 10 of them on him.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have never seen that before... Randy was even freaked out... one just landed right on his face as he is trying to tell me they are swarming ... he had to ask.. is one really on my face???

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I never saw anything like it either.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I told a couple to go in my basement and check the plants before they leave

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Stormy, have you tried cedar, lavender or dried mint leaves?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Jen. It's under control now. We have massive Ladybug populations here especially in Bucks County which borders Jersey. I know people who have to vacumn them off of their ceilings by the hundreds. Some government agency released them here by the gazillions about 7 or 8 years ago.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

too bad they weren't here over the summer.. maybe we wouldn't have so many mosquitoes

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You need bats for your mosquitoes.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gals in the Iris forum told me to start taking vitamin B for about 3 weeks before skeeter season and they won't bite.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A multi B?

If the lady bugs become a problem coming inside your house...
http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-lady-bugs.htm

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Jen a multi B. Take it everyday all summer long.

I love my ladybugs. I did not have to spray the roses at all this year.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started vit B early this spring.. it worked for a while... then it didn't

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if your body was using it up. Maybe increasing the dosage would have helped.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

We are getting lady beetles at the office, this happened about 5 years ago. We were vacuuming them off the ceiling too. We have an alarm system that if one of them walks across the sensor and breaks the beam, the alarm will go off.
I'm sure the police would love to handcuff and arrest the little intruders.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh, hope they don't start charging you for false alarms.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Just cuz I'm an annoying science-y person~~~clothes moths are not the same kind as tiger moths. Please don't wreak revenge for holey sweaters on your wooly bears. And yes, ladybugs don't eat mosquitoes.
This has been a message from your annoying science-y person~~Now back to regularly unscheduled thread discussions

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have always taken vit. Multi B Complex and still do.
My body, for some odd reason, does not absorb Vit. B12 too well. I get shots a couple times a year.

I read in one of those Pharmacy columns that people that have used acid reflux meds for a long time cannot absorb vit. B12 too well. Thar might be my case.....

Onewish--Do you use Prilosec or one of those? Might be your case too....
HOW could you tell that it stopped working?....You can D-mail me, if you like---Don't want to digress too much here....

Gita

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Today's visitor

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sitting on the kids swingset

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, He's a beauty!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's Daphne. She's a beauty.....

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

another

Thumbnail by dybbuk
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wow, Daphne looks HUGE.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

She sure does! Hope she's been eating lost of nasties in your garden.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Cool hawk! Cool mantis!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Found this guy yesterday. Anybody know who he is?

Thumbnail by stormyla
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty sure it's a giant leopard moth caterpillar, Hypercompe scribonia. They're beautiful moths, white with black spots and a blue and orange body.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/493

http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/587/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Mike. I knew he would draw you out of the woodwork!! I had some pretty spectacular butterflies here this summer, but don't remember seeing him. I hope he stays around till Summer!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.