currant and gooseberry recipes

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

I was hoping some of you would share your favorite gooseberry and currant recipes??? I'd love to try some new ones :-)

Thumbnail by batflower
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought my first Gooseberries and Currants last night at a Whole Foods. There were not very good fresh. Are they supposed to be that tart? They sure were pretty.

Greensburg, PA

I have found that gooseberries rapidly lose their quality under refrigeration. Add to it that they are hard to determine when perfectly ripe and most are harvested when not optimum, you can see the problem. A ripe gooseberry will have a tart skin and sweet flesh for most varieties. Also, the most common forms available commercially appear to be older types that may not be up to current standards. If the gooseberries you bought have been stored for a length of time, that might be the problem. Did your gooseberries have vertical stripes or were they solid in color. A refrigerated gooseberry can lose it stripes under refrigeration and is a sign not to buy/try for me.

A trick I like to use is to freeze my gooseberries. Try freezing a single fruit and then eat it. Sometimes that can improve the flavor. I am currently harvesting most of mine and freezing them for wnter treats. Do not let them completely thaw after freezing unless you like gooseberry flavored mush.

Gooseberries used for pies are traditionally havested under-ripe for tartness. Many gooseberry home growers can also thin their fruit and use for cooking and baking. This practice allows the remaining berries to get larger for table use.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.