Anybody grow citrus or bananas near Baltimore?

Middle River, MD

I live in Middle River eastern baltimore county, zone 7b. We are right on the river, so I suspect that I have a microclimate in the backyard, maybe as high as an 8. with the white west facing wall on my shed it may even be higher.

Are there any hardy citrus or banana plants I can grow in ground? maybe with burlap or something over it on particularly cold nights.
Or would I have to have them in pots to be taken in for the winter.

any insight would be appreciated.
rachel

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

I think either Hart or Chantell, both here in Virginia, grows bananas outdoors. If they don't, one of them will remember who the Mid-Atlantic forum does.

I haven't grown citrus outdoors here because I don't think it could surrvive in my zone 7 (even by a brick wall with in an Z8 micro climate) When I had outdoor trees in zone 9, if the temp went below 28 for more than 4 hours, the trees lost many leaves and fruit might fall off. Generally the trees would get new leaves but since they only get one crop a year, little or no fruit that year. Prolonged temperature at or below 28 would result in a denuded tree that wouldn't make it.

I'm growing a calamondin in a pot that I can bring indoors in winter here in zone 7. It doesn't take up as much space as an orange or lemon tree, the flowers come on at different times, thus the fruit is at different stages, and it fruits young. I got a 6" pot in Nov '08. It had a half dozen green fruits on it then. I moved it into a 10" pot in May and took it outside. It started flowering as soon as I put it out, has given me numerous ripened fruits, and has been flowering and setting new fruits ever since. If there are any cons, the fruits are small (but they are pretty), and the fruits are seriously tart, but I squeeze them (they are very juicy) in low-cal cranberry juice and you can really taste the fruit. One issue for me is I haven't got any citrus fertilizer and my tree's leaves look much paler than when I got it. I think the green house have the knack for fertilizing and making the leaves really green and glossy. Here's a picture of it when I first got it (on the left side of the bench) but it's very hard to see the fruit.

Thumbnail by Pamgarden
Middle River, MD

I knew there was a type of banana that would grow in 7b. If I cant find it here, there's always the rest of the internet.

I also had a feeling If I tried citrus outdoors here it would freeze. Just wanted to verify that.
If prolonged 28 degrees would denude them, I would assume 30-32 would probably weaken them too.
Guess that's not happening.

I like the calamondin, I will have to look into that. I don't have space to roll a full size tree into my house and I love the idea of such a small tree with cute little fruits on it.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.