Hardy Plant Society Mid Atlantic Plant Sale

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The Hardy Plant Society will be holding their annual sale on Saturday, August 22nd from 9am to 2pm. It will be held at the Freedom Foundation (Boy Scout National Headquarters) on Route #23 just west of Valley Forge National Park. There is a great vendor list including Brushwood Nursery, Garden Visions, RareFind Plants, Pine Knot Farms among many others. This is a great Sale. Last year I came home with 2 wagons full of plants and could have bought lots more. Don't miss it!

http://www.hardyplant.org/calendar/aug.htm

Thumbnail by stormyla
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Can you move this closer for me if I ask nicely???? ^_^

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a wonderful day. Enjoy!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure the Daylily Society sale is the same day and only 15 minutes away. Last year I easily did both. The DVDS doesn't have it on their website yet, but I've put a call in to the treasurer. .

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, We are thinking of coming up for this. The list of venders looks great. Perhaps we'll meet up. Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, You won't be sorry. The plant selection at this sale is wonderful and except for RareFinds, most of the prices are very reasonable for large healthy plants. There is one dealer who only sells Heaths, Heathers and Ericas.
The Daylily Sale, if it is the same day, is not to be missed. The plants are usually $5 a piece and there are lots of expensive ones included among them. Even though they are single fan plants,they are from established plants in member's gardens and the roots are hugh and they send up many blooms in their first year.
If I won't be away that weekend, I'd love to meet up with you and Ric.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

For you Jersey folks, this is about a 55 minute ride from the Pa/NJ Turnpike connection or 2 1/2 hours closer than the ride to Holly's place.
This is almost a 3 hour ride from Frederick, Md and 2 1/2 hours from Baltimore.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Stormy, you enabler you! LOL I remember you posting about this sale last year and I was thinking of it the other day when I was asking about Epimediums - would be a perfect opportunity with Darrell Probst exhibiting! Argghhh, 5.5 hr drive :( I'd jump in the car in a flash but I'm not sure after our recent trip to Plant Delights ($$$$) if I can convince Rick to go. He'll probably hear me whining a lot in the next few weeks :)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, Garden Visions brought 100's of Epimediums to this sale last year. Stormy went home with an assortment of a dozen of the under $10 varieties. They had all of the collector items there too.

Pine Knot brought so many different kinds of Hellebores and there were many people crowded around their booth, that I got a headache and went home without any.

Almost every vendor had great selections of hugh Heucheras and there were lots of Hosta for sale by most vendors.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Rick's still not interested but I haven't given up yet! Talked with a friend last night and told her about the sale - her birthday is August 23rd and she thought a road trip would be perfect for her birthday :) Like I said, I haven't given up yet! LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, If you come up please let me know. RIc and I are hoping to attend.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Holly, I will definitely keep you posted :) Rick may be right though, we've got some pretty hefty expenses in the next month and we've already spent way too much on plants this year :( If we're not able to make it the plants will have to wait for another year and at least I'll be satisfied with the new flooring for the living room and entry that we're patiently waiting for!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, If you do go to the sale and are hungry afterwards, there's a nice Italian restarant on Rt#23 about 1/2 mile west of the sale called LaTaverna. It's a full service restaurant with cocktails that also serves Pizza. Lots of seafood too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, We were planning to come, might depend on the $$ though. Won't come unless we have enough to spend to make the trip worthwhile. Dear old Buddy required an emergency trip to the vets, tooth abscess which has added up to big$$. I'm afraid that might have used up my extra$$ for this month. Haven't completely counted the trip out but it is looking slim.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmm... that's 3 hours away... I have a feeling if we drive 3 hours with a newborn, it had better be in the direction of some grandparents, LOL. Very tempting, especially with Brushwood there!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, I'm a grandparent and only an hour and a half away! Do I count? LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL!

I hope you'll drive down to see us if we don't get up to see you... :-)

I just got a "?????????" Dmail from a friend who saw this thread that made me think I'd better put a link to our prayer forum thread for anybody who's missed the way I've been jumping up & down lately about this.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1019325/

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh no, I'm in trouble!! I just realized I will be in Valley Forge that weekend WITHOUT my husband and on my own.. I will have to check this out but must remember I am not driving a truck (I might be able to borrow my daughters Explorer for the weekend, she likes driving the convertible). Yes, this could be dangerous...

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Definitely, borrow the Explorer. ;-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

(really, you didn't think I'd be recommending restraint, did you?)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I will be down, nothing nicer that a little baby to snuggle.
Cat, If you don't want the passenger seat of the convertible full of plants you will need the explorer. Don't think for a minute the fact that you don't have hauling space will keep you from buying that wonderful big bush that you have always wanted.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I make sure I have shower curtain liners from the Dollar Store in the trunk. They cover car seats quite nicely, you wouldn't believe how many plants you can put in a convertible, especially if you put the top down and then up for the ride home. I love it when I hit a sale unexpectantly.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, I keep a plastic shower curtain and an old sheet in the back of my Subaru, too.
Those look like nandina in the back, I pick up a couple earlier this summer at a very good price wish I grabbed a couple more.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, did you or anyone else get to the sale? If so, what did you bring home?

I didn't go as I went to AC for the Moody Blues Concert. Fabulous show!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No we didn't get there either. Just had too many extra expenses this month and so far behind on things here that I really didn't need more plants right now. WOW, Moody Blues Concert.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Holly, they were absolutely great and have quite a following among the younger set. They've cut a few albums in the last 15 years and have gotten fans among a whole new generation. But they did all of the great old stuff too. Nights in White Satin, Tuesday Afternoon and lots from Days of Future Past.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I was in the area but I didn't go either, I spent my money at Beadfest in King of Prussia. What a rainy weekend.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, Nights in White Satin takes me back a "few" years :) We didn't make it either, just too much going on right now but maybe another year!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Love the Moody Blues!

I guess y'all know what we were doing instead of going to the plant sale... :-)

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

When and where are some of the events for 2010 going to be held? How do I get my name on that list of persons interested?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Pippi, We have to resurrect our event thread and then you mark the thread to your watch list. We didn't keep up with it this year as we should have. We'll make that a January project!! Thanks for posting and feel free to join any of our threads. Add the Mid-Atlantic forum to your watch list and then when we add a new event thread, it will come up on your list.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Talking about events Stormy seems someone made a comment about a group heading to Longwood for the Christmas Display? Do you know if that has turned into anything?
Pippi, We have quite a few get togethers here in the Mid-Atlantic Forum and your location is a good one there are many of us located not far from you.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, no nothing so far. Critter has been tied up with a bunch of things and you were incommunicato. Maybe she'll come back now and help set some things in motion. We've been dmailing about the seed swap, but not since Thanksgiving.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL

Critter was a little more stressed than she thought about last week's home study visit, which was just fine. Ours is not the sort of home that family court is going to have concerns about, no matter if I've tidied every possible corner or not.

Sounds like I should start a new event thread? I can edit the top post with a schedule of upcoming events as I've done before, with links to any discussion/planning threads. That's worked out pretty well in the past.

Holly, we need a Longwood thread! The next couple weekends are free for us, and I can probably get Jim to go by pointing out how much Little Bit would enjoy the lights... we could do a weekday, too, although probably not a Monday (biggest meeting day for Jim).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

new "Events" thread is up! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061079/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

New Longwood thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061097/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Critter!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.