Planting Time for Fall/Winter/Spring Crops?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I have a bunch of seeds that I intend to plant for a fall or winter crop but I've never done this before and am not sure when to plant what. There's a thread about this in the vegetable forum, but all the people discussing it are in Zones 8 and above, where the weather is very different from southern NJ. I'm interested in planting beets, maybe leeks, broccoli and cabbage. I just replanted my carrots using homemade toilet-paper seed tape, and that seems to be working better than just sowing them, so I already have some tiny shoots coming up in that row.

Advice/suggestions from those of you who do this, please!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That sounds like a clever way to plant those seeds, GG.
I'm no help for you though, sorry.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric and I were talking about doing that before his accident. Now I'm not so sure I want the extra work. We were thinking about some ornamental kale and pansies, too. Wonder if it is too late to start those? Also some seeds like the pansies need cold to germinate, so they might need some time in the refer, too. I'd love to fill the beds with fall pansies. I bet a couple of those growing in your garden would look nice.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was just wondering this, too... have some extra space cleared that I'd like to use for veggies next year, but better yet would be to put it to work now.

It's probably too late to start cukes, although I'd get a couple weeks of harvest still maybe.

Is garlic planted in fall? I think so, but I have to check. We always mean to grow garlic, then don't get to it. LOL

Peas like to grow in cooler spring weather... is there a good time to start them for a fall crop?

I could just plant more bush beans, I suppose.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Garlic is planted in the fall; around here a friend who does this annually says that his date to plant it is October 1st. They get a good start before frost and then resume their growth in the early spring.

I guess I could start the beets and cabbage and broccoli at the beginning of August, but it might still be a bit hot for them. That's what I'm not sure about.

And yes, I have some rows that I've cleared from peas and spinach that could take something, but since I'm using a four-year rotation I have to be careful what I plant where.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I found a fall planting thread in the Veggie forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1016527/

Stephanie posted a link to a fall planting schedule: http://www.heirloomseeds.com/schedule-2.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.