When Is The Best Time To Plant Blueberries

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I would like to know when is the best time to plant Blueberries, in the Spring or Fall?

Where is the best Nursery to buy them from?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Spring

Steubenville, OH

I'm not sure about the best time to plant, but as far as nurseries go, I can't recommend Nourse farms highly enough. www.noursefarms.com I have ordered blueberries from other "popular" nurseries many times, and always gotten very small plants from them, most of which didn't make it. A friends dad, who owns a strawberry u pick it, recommended this place, and I couldn't believe the difference. The plants were HUGE compared to what I was used to and are doing very well. I don't think there is much of a price difference, but if there is, it is well worth it. (BTW, I don't work for them or have any connection with them, other than being a happy customer!) Any way, that is my two cents worth on this issue. Good luck!

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

I would say in the fall as it will give your plants the time to establish their root system and be ready for the spring.

Steubenville, OH

I actually called Norse today to see if they fall ship blueberries because I wanted to order more of them, and they said they only ship in the spring since that is the best time for the berries. Maybe it's different in SC?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

When I ordered my blueberry bushes, they would only ship here in the spring, but said they would ship in the fall to more southerly addresses.

BTW - starting today is DG Blueberry Week, and there will be a new blueberry-related article here every day.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

Where do you find this? After a year of being on here there is so much that I do not know about and how to get at these different places.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

It should be on the front page. On my front page, the articles are at the top of the right-hand sidebar.

Or you can look under Guides and Information, Articles.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

If I take a cutting from my 4 year old plant will it start producing the next year, or must I wait till it's 3 years old ?

Doniphan, MO

I have a small plant I just purchased at wal-mart I don't have a place ready for it yet. If I put it in a pot will sphagnum peat moss and potting soil mix be good for it?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

possum... maybe. I put mine (new this year) in large pots for the time being, since my soil is much too alkaline. I added lots of peat, but the plants are only doing so-so. I just bought some sulfur to add, but I also haven't sent for a pH test on the soil in the pots. Most potting soil is around 6.0-6.4 pH and blueberries need below 5 pH.

I'm getting ready to amend a plot just for blueberries, and will add sulfur 3 times before next spring.

Greensburg, PA

Rentman, Starting blueberries from cuttings can be difficult, with most people having success only during the spring when the plants are growing rapidly. When I propagate mine, I take a "division" of the roots, separating a shoot from the main plant that is already rooted. In those cases, the division can produce berries the next year.

Darius and Possum, I grow my blueberries in 100 % peat (in pots), with some sand mixed in to help keep the peat from compressing too much. Lately I've been using some porous silica or Peters Aquatic potting soil (another kind of porous "sand" like material) in the mix as well. The point is you do not need soil they do just fine in peat. I'm getting lots of delicious fruit as well.

Darius, most nurseries/greenhouses that are not mom/pop size will sell small meters that can measure the pH and cost under $20.00. They work quite well. Sulphur takes some time to work (as you indicated) so you might want to consider adding a generous amount of peat to you currently potted bb's. I hear that people in areas that have alkaline soil get good results by setting up a raised bed (big container) for their blueberries.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks krowten, I'll try that.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

krowten, thanks... maybe I'll repot mine in just peat until their bed is ready next spring; what they have now is about half peat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.