No shortage of honey bees here.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have been noticing quite a few honey bees this year in my garden. This stand of monarda gets quit busy on a sunny day.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

About a month ago I noticed a lot of bees buzzing around the branches in my Norway Spruce, the sound caught my attention.

Several weeks later I was looking at my locus tree where the trumpet vine had grown and blooms way up at the top. A hole in the tree seemed to be busy with bees. I could not tell if they where Honey bees, so I got out the binoculars, still could not tell. Camera is better used the zoom and this is what I captured.

Here is todays picture. Sorry I could not center it better, wind blowing the trumpet vine leaves in the way, a lot of shots taken, this is the best one

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's pretty neat Lady. Hope it doesn't hurt the tree. I've had lots of all kinds of bees this year. I'm rather fond of the bees.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is so neat, your own pollinators. I thought we were pretty slim on honey bees this year, but after the monsoons ceased and things dried up a little, I started to see more. Right now the grass needs cut so we have quite a few since I have so much clover in the lawn, much to Holly's dissatisfaction. The clover was treated so it fixes nitrogen like a legume which results in a self feeding lawn and the root structure holds a good amount of water which improves drought tolerance. I rather like the bees till one sends me looking for the benadryl. I've become more reactive to stings over the years. Ric

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Very, very Chris!!

I think the tree will be fine, years ago there was a nest of baby squirrels in that hole. They were fun to watch as they were growing up.
Wonder if I'll see honey dripping down the side of the tree?
Bees and I get along fine, it's the darn wasps that set me screaming on a dead run. And the Yellow jackets in the late summer. UGH!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My raspberries are very tall this year, and blooming and humming with bees right now. Smallish wasps love my garden with all the catnip and fennel for pollen, and never mind me getting too close. I am glad to have them all except nests of hornets or yellow jackets. Too scary!
We have a fair amount of lawn clover too--I usually get stung once per year and then wear footwear more diligently.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We have a lot here too, esp on the clover.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I certainly have lots of butterflies this year, but still no hummers and thankfully, no Japanese Beetles or June bugs.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I was wrong, we don't have many honey bees, what we have is a bumper batch of bumble bees. Try saying that 3 times in a row,LOL!!! What we are seeing are smallish bumblers in numbers I've never seen. I may have to catch a few to see if I can ID them. Ric
P.S. Since the monsoon ended, we are seeing more hummers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.