Fall RU 09- Food

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Please post what you are bringing here. It is a potluck so we need everyone to chip in. Pizza is main food with whatever people bring after that. Drinks, side dishes, plates, napkins, etc, etc will be needed too. Condiments also.

pepper23- 2 folding tables, peaches and cream cake, lawn chairs, balloons, table cloths if I can find them

AuntB and joeswife- filler foods like desserts and chips, pizza

Gmk- I can bring ice in a cooler , Pepsi and a dessert. I can also bring a card table if needed and some lawn chairs

Happgarden- I am bringing paper plates, napkins, paper towels, plastic ware, saran wrap, seeds, plants, and gift thingy

ImaMes- salad or potato salad, folding table, Sierra Mist, Diet Coke

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 6:48 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Do they have electricity at the shelter? Not wanting to carry a dirty grill and charcoal, etc. in the van I am going to cook the chicken leg quarters at home on Friday. I have a nice big Rival BBQ crock pot that is really just a crock pot that is oblong, has a nice domed lid, and will hold a LOT of food. But it does need electricity to keep the meat warm. If there is no electricity I'll just have to get everything good and hot and wrap it all in a couple blankets to keep the heat in. I'll have loaves of Earth Grain bread with us too. I don't eat buns but will use those breads with hot dogs.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi EvaMae,
yes the gazebo has electricity. I am also gonna try to get one of the "first come, first serve shelters" that day, they do not have electricity but they have 2 picnic tables each and a grill.
Heres one of the 2 free shelters - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/English_Landing_Park_Parkville_MO_7_09/?action=view¤t=DSC08643.jpg
That stuff sounds delicious!
Will

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Good to hear there will be electricity.

I'm getting all the plastic table cloths the thrift store can't sell and will bring them to put on the tables. Also some nice foam chair cushions and lawn chairs.

I will bring the 18 qt roatster too so we can keep things hot/warm in it too. I have a 3 or 5 gallon water cooler I'll bring filled with mostly ice and some gallons of water to put in it if we want to and lemon juice to make real lemonaid.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

The table cloths would be great!! That way I don't have to worry about that.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have condiments, plates, etc. More than glad to donate them. Unlike here at home I will allow the plates to be pitched. I have over 100 of them I think. I also have 16 oz. glasses.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I've meant to get over here to post sooner.. Since I have a history (of shall I say running a bit behind) and Deb is coming up from Wichita so we can ride together.. we will bring some filler foods..dessert, chips, cookies etc... something that you guys won't miss when we're late. Everyone remember to bring your fav skeeter/chigger spray/lotion. Do we need an extension cord or a couple 3-way connector thingies? I'm really excited to visit old friends and meet new! The park is gorgeous! Thanks again for all the efforts! Great idea Leaflady, cooking the meat before hand... leaves more time for talkin' and tradein' The breads sound tasty!

I will also being bringing a cake (peaches n' cream) so with your desserts we will have plenty of that.

We do need other foods like side dishes so if anyone could bring some of those we should be rounded out pretty well.

I spoke to Joeswife (Debra) and she has volunteered to buy pizza for everybody at the RoundUp. I said "are you sure, thats a lot of pizza"? What does everyone think about that?
Hi AuntB! I'm not sure about the electrical setup in the gazebo, I could go to the park sometime and find that out.
My guess would be those things you mentioned would be used.
Better late than never! : ) That is a beautiful park, wish it were my back-yard!
Hi Pepper, I see you posted just before me, Peaches N' Cream sounds delightful!
Will

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 12:10 PM

Pizza works for me if that's what everyone wants.

We also will need more drinks if people don't want lemonade or water. I might be able to bring iced tea both sweetened and not if anyone wants that.

Pepper likes the pizza pies! I like them too!
Anybody else like the pizza idea? Like Joeswife (Debra) said it will make more time for visiting, swapping plants and talking plants and stuff. Feel free to chime in here Debra, after-all it is your moulah! : )
Will

I just figured the men would love to fight over the grill and show us they actually do know a thing or two about cooking. LOL. Has happened at a RU before!! LOL

Yes, I am a man and I do like manly sorts of things but I must confess, I haven't done a lot of grilling! lol
I think I could be a decent griller. Although, getting stuff "bloody" "rare" "medium rare" "medium" "medium well" and "well" does seem a bit daunting! I think practice makes perfect there and I don't really have that kind of practice! lol
Now, a tuna fish sandwich I can do!
Will

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Suits me if that is what everyone else wants. So I still need to do chicken then? For those who don't or for some reason can't eat pizza? I know very much of it can leave me with after effects I don't like but can live with. What about the side dishes? Will they still be wanted/needed?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

good morning everyone... it would be my pleasure to provide pizza for us all, and here we could discuss what kind even.. I am sure some people don't like pineapple and candian bacon like me.. I just think that since the time is so far in between and so short when we are there, that it would be nice to order in and use the time we are there to visit more. I am thinking Pizza Hut. they will provide plates, napkins, cheeses, cutlery and what ever we want as far as chicken wings, bread sticks etc.
If this works, then all we would need is what extra thing that we want to drink, and some desserts. Ice in the bag, a cooler. I am bringing plastic table cloths. Will have extras to set about on the ground in areas for what ever else we need. Put your order in now if this is what we can do, and then I can order it to be delivered no problem, no mess, no worrys and we can carry less, unload less, and have more room in our day for plants and laughter. mmmmm pineapple and canadian bacon! ;D

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Deb, you are such a giving person! I am in for pizza.. not picky on the kind, either. A couple pieces fills me up. It would make for less loading and unloading. Pizza and dessert.... Mmmmmm Pepper that cake sounds scrumptious!

Deb, that is my absolute favorite kind of pizza!! LOL

Kansas City, MO

I can bring ice in a cooler , Pepsi and a dessert. I can also bring a card table if needed and some lawn chairs.

Sounds awsome!

Pizza sounds great, I love pizza too. The thing is we don't know exactly how many people are going to be there. I've done it before myself, I wouldn't know if I'd be able to make it that day so I wouldn't say beforehand if I was going. This year I'm pretty unemployed so I am pretty sure I'll be there, so I can say beforehand.
If we decide on pizza, I hope no one feels alienated and might not come. I will gladly eat less and save it for somebody thats not sure if they can come.
Will

we will have plenty... if we get 25 or 35 people that would be great.. if anyone is watching this but not speaking up, then come on .. come to the RU and lets have a great time!

Sounds great Debra. : )

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Maybe a veggie tray would be a snack.. in case some people don't have a sweet tooth.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

There are humans without a sweet tooth? Are you sure? ......LOL
Just kidding I know there are folks who have a sweet tooth but can't have sweets, thank goodness that isn't me! Poor DH would be in a world of hurt....LOL

So if we are doing pizza which is great with me, I rarely get pizza, don't care what toppings (love them all including ham and pineapple). That will give us lots of time to chat and mess around.

So what can I bring? Pepper can you edit your list at the top so I can see who is doing what or just tell me what to bring, I am easy.

Ok, post should be fully updated now.

We are full on desserts so no more desserts please. Side dishes like salad, veggie tray, potato salad or something like that is about all we need. Also if someone wants to bring saran wrap and a few extra bowls and plates in case there is leftovers and we are able to split it between us that will come in handy.

That's all I can think of right now. If you all have ideas please post them.

Sure I can't help leaflady on all the paper stuff? Sounds like alot of expense to me?

Remember the purpose of Pizza is to make things easy.. and less work! LOL gosh, I can't wait to see all of you!
;D

Thumbnail by joeswife

I remember.....LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

LOL, .... oh, right, Deb.. :) Socializing and plants.. Deb, do you have any seed heads on your dbl pink ROS, yet? I think I'd like to put one on each side of the dbl blue (it's really kinda lavender) I have (still in the nursery pot). (oops this is the food thread) So excited for the RU- it will be like a holiday! Joyce, I missed having an excursion with you this year.. can't wait to see everyone.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I already have the plates, napkins, silverware, drinking glasses, etc. but if you don't want them I won't bother to pack them.

Hi, I am thinking we will need some napkins and glasses and stuff.. ws just hoping to get the plates and cutlery from pizza hut.. but ya never know.. my luck would be they don't provide that like they do in Derby, Ks with a delivered order..

Deb, can you please have at least a half pizza that is all veggies? My friend Tracy is a vegetarian. Thanks!!

Lets get this list finalized so we can get the shopping done next week.

I am bringing Pizza, plants and fun.. ( I will order the pizza when I see how many we have there ) and a vege sounds great to me!

I am bringing paper plates, napkins, paper towels, plastic ware, saran wrap, seeds, plants, and gift thingy.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll bring a salad or potato salad. I can also bring a folding table if needed. Anything else I can bring? Soda, ice? It sounds like the condiments and paper plates, cups, plastic cutlery, etc. are covered.

Sounds great!! I'm not sure if we will need another folding table but go ahead and bring it if you want just in case. Ice Gmk is supposed to get. That can easily be picked up there in town. She is also bringing Pepsi but we could probably use a few other kinds.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok. I'll bring some Sierra Mist and maybe Diet Coke for those who prefer diet.

I am so happy I get to take that whole weekend off.. no hurrying yay!

It will be great to see you all, so looking forward to it.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thought I'd check in here... sounds wonderful.. I've been looking forward to the RU all summer! Deb, it's great, the WHOLE weekend! I think my Sis is coming with us.. I'm re-organizing plant stashes... shade/sun for specific persons and 2 "piles" for general swap shade/sun.. it will be fun to see it all laid out at the RU.. I'll throw in my seeds and bags, pens... I will have the fold out table that comes standard in Honda CRV's, so if we don't have enough we can use it. Lawn chairs, too... they are pretty compact.. not long to wait, now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.