King Sago with pups

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

I have a 15 year old Cycas Revoluta, male that has produced about 10 pups in the last year. The first one I cut out, as I liked the look of this plant as a single.
My question, is there a method to cutting these new plants out and is it best for the plant?
Thanks for any and all help with this.

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett
Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

Gard- I'm no expert, but several years I "dug" out 12 pups from around my sago. Potted them up with the same kind of dirt they were growing in. For a year, they sat there and didn't do much. I would fertilize them just like my other palms, about 4 times a year. 8 of the 12 made it and are now planted through out the yard. I couldn't find anyone close by who knew anything about how to do it. Being i tend to be impatient, I just got in therre with a shovel and a small hatchett and tried to make sure I got as much of the root as possible. The mother plant grew a lot more the following year. I guess she was ready for the "kids" to move out! I don't know if this helps, but my experience is it didn't hurt the mother( or father in your case), plant at all-in fact it liked it.

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the reply GG~ I like your comment about the kid's moving out...LOL!
My first "pup" transplant took a long time to do anything as well, but looks good now - took about 2 years!

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

They grow pretty slow--thats why they are so expensive when yo go to by one. My neighbor sold one out of his yard a few years ago, it was a good 15 feet tall and double tiered, about 40 years old and got 1800 dollars for it!

I also find that if you keep the lower fronds cut away so they dont touch the ground, it provides better air cuirculation, and just looks nicer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.