how many from Africa?

Atenas, Costa Rica

I call Ornamental plants those that you can grow in gardens, or that they are very common in gardens, because its beauty, size or easy way to reproduce and acclimate to different conditions than those from the original area where the plant came. Hope everybody understand what I am trying to say!

Ah! Have you try tamarindo jugo. ! It is very popular here. I guess a lot of vitamin C amongst others.

Bignonia

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yes Bignonia, fresh fruit and veges are not staples of Marshallese diets, but we are working on better nutritional information, and gardening supplies so that is slowly changing.

I love the differences in what surprises us all...we share Jenny's thrill when a seal is spotted, Westraad gets hippos on the beach...Sylvain threatens us with a purple thong dance on the roof...Randy has a mysterious and beautiful tree fern that defies classification (hmmm, is her name Greta or Kathryn by any chance), if we all did a shift left and spent a day in another's home what wonders would we behold? Wouldn't that be a kick? Out here we tried to watch the solar eclipse yesterday, but Mother Nature refused to cooperate. Guess she was fighting with Father Time and the resultant rain storm made viewing a bit soggy.

Yokwe,
Shari

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Question, Shari. i was wondering, why do you always sign off with "yokwe," does that mean something?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yokwe is Marshallese. The traditional meaning is "you are as the rainbow"...meaning beautiful inside and out, from all points of view. The more modern meaning is "hello", "goodbye", "I love you"...whatever, much like the Hawaiian "Aloha". I use it in the traditional sense, and it has become a part of me. I even wear a gold "Yokwe Yuk" (meaning "to everyone") charm. It reminds me to see the beauty in all things...well, almost all. :-)

Hope that clears it up.

Yokwe,
Shari

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Our internet was down for a day and a half, so i finally get to respond now.
i understand now what you mean by ornamental plants, Bignonia. i would say hibiscuses, bougainvilleas, palms and coconut trees, cannas, petunias, spider lilies, and citrus fruit. there is another one, but i have absolutely no idea what you call it. i'l post a picture, so you all can see if you can identify it. Daisies also do well here, but not too many people have them. i have gerbera daisies and michaelmas daisies. Agapanthuses also do well, and i have couple. as you can see on the picture i posted of our house, our small front yard is completely shaded. i have quite a number of impatiens growing there, and they are thriving!
Ah, now i understand, Shari. thanks for the explanation! something similar in Portuguese would be 'tudo bom para si' which means may everything be good for you.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Tudo bom para si... I like that! I will incorporate it into my extremely eclectic patois. Thank you!

Yokwe y tudo bom para si,
Shari

Atenas, Costa Rica

En espanol es "todo bien para ti" , very similar to spanish.
Very busy organizing my future butterfly business

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Butterfly business?
sounds interesting, much more fun than school i am sure!
would you mind telling us about it more?
butterflies are such pretty little creatures, drifting from one flower to the next.
westraad

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.