why two different seeds??

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

I've got a question for someone who knows about palms-- About 6 years ago I bought and planted 4 queen palms, from the same place at the same time. All are doing very well. About a year ago, they started blooming , but Im getting two different kinds of seeds. Any ideas?? I've tried planting the smaller of the two, as per instructions from our local Ag center, but have had no luck. Thanks for any help-Jim

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN
Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

close-up of one

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN
Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

and one of the other

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

The ones in the first photo, are mature, but not ripe, have to wait for them to turn gold first, then dry them, the ones in the second photo are not mature, it may take another year or two for that tree, Ed

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

edric- thanks for the info-I cut the"mature" ones off the tree. Is that alright?? Should I hang the cluster up somewhere and let them dry? Inside or out? I've read that you must soak them in water for about a week, and remove the hard outer shell before planting, and germination could take up to 2 months. I'd like to try my hand at growing some of these queens. There seems to be a lot of "unknowns" about this procedure according to papers from the U of F.

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

You were supposed to let them turn gold on the tree, they won't germinate now, when they start to fall on the ground you'll know they are ready to dry for a week or two, and then soak for a few days, change the soak water every six hours min., Ed

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

Ed-Thank you so much--now I know. I've got another palm that is presently in the "flower" stage. Next time I will be ready-thanks again

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

Ed- one more question--when they turn gold ON the tree, and start to fall, do I then cut off the whole cluster and dry, or just pick up the ones on the ground to dry as they fall?? Thanks again

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

here's the next bunch

Thumbnail by GOODGREEN
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice, If you're planing on germinating them, they have to stay on the tree until they're gold colored, only pick off the ones that are a gold color, the green ones must turn gold first, Ed

Deland, FL(Zone 9a)

ed-10-4

Newbury Park, CA(Zone 10a)

Actually green unripened seed have much better germination rates on queens alone (just when the stalk begins to start showing some orange seeds).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.