Some pictures from the international folk art market

Santa Fe, NM

Got some practice taking pictures of people in a crowd today with the new camera. I should edit these some before I post more. Artist and crafts people from all over the world.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Lets see what else is viewable. This may be underexposed. I can fix it! But, anyway, I bought a beaded bracelet from this beautiful lady.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Well, now I see something I forgot to do! I have my work cut out for me. This is a fuzzy picture of my best friend, Susan. She is in constant motion so the blur is normal.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Hey, at least it was horizontal! This man is from Bhutan. What beautiful textiles and wood carvings they brought. The black "hair" is the fringe of his hat.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

One more before I go straighten things out! A woman, also from Bhutan.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Neat-o! ;-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great photos again. The portraits of the various women are excellent. Love the applique piece Susan is holding up and also the one behind her. That sounds like a fabulous show. Unfortunately, I am working on getting out of town on Tuesday to take DH for yet another step in his attempt to become the bionic man -- hip replacement in LA. Maybe I will catch next year. I have a friend who works as a volunteer in the show every year.

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, I was confused about when you were going and thought you had gone already and maybe gotten back. I wish him the Best and know all will be well. Next year I'm sure the festival will be excellent. It is too easy to spend money there, though! I forget where this woman is from, but I'm inclined to say Guatemala.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

It was very good practice for me to take pictures of people. These particular people knew, of course, that they would be photographed and dressed for the occasion. This basket of goodies was being offered in a drawing I entered! However, it looks like I didn't win. Darn.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

It was hot and hectic. The people exhibiting their work had the patience of saints, as did the volunteers helping everyone. A crowd shot!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

This festival was sponsored by the museum of folk art and held on the plaza up on museum hill. A friend bought a Fabulous embroidered Chinese jacket! (You don't want to know how much it cost.) But, it is exquisite.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

A detail of the jacket.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I have to admit that I love textiles. But, I also love cameras and also my D.H. so I had to show admirable restraint.

Thumbnail by roybird
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hope the surgery goes well paj. Wow roybird, that looks like it was an awesome time. There is color everywhere! I believe it would be difficult to not spend a lot of money there.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And correspondingly it might be difficult to be there without a lot of money to spend.

beautiful feasts for the vision, Roybird, thank you very much. What exactly DID you buy, I wonder?

;-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your jacket is magnificent! And it shows a tremendous amount of work. I have been a textile freak my entire life. My house is full of textiles I have collected around the world. I see the bug has bitten you as well. Your photographs are magnificent. The first lady is either from Guatemala or, to me, more likely from Southern Mexico Chiapas or Oaxaca both places I have long dreamed of visiting.
I love the photo of all the little statues of women. The details of each one are fascinating and colorful -- enhanced by excellent photography.
A friend of mine was a part of a class action suit against the LANL. She her very substantial settlement to this festival last year and bought a magnificent silk rug woven in one of the stans. Can't remember which one at the moment. She loved the rug and felt because of the way the festival is run, that the money would go to the people who actually made the rug.

Santa Fe, NM

The jacket was really special. I didn't buy it. Way out of my league. I bought two small block prints by Jose' Francisco Borges. He is Brazilian and has illustrated at least one book by Eduardo Galeano, who lives in Uruguay. I have a couple of prints by Borges' apprentice, J. Miguel. They are woodcuts and in rather large editions, inexpensive. I met the printmakers about 10 years ago when they did a workshop and sale at the museum. I also bought two beaded bracelets, also inexpensive, from two African women. The better beadwork being from the older woman., the one in the picture. I have her name on a photo but have spaced on it for now. She beads her initials, E.M., on to all her pieces. Which I think is cool. I also bought two tiny clay angel ornaments @ $3.00 ea. from a Guatemalan woman. There were as many inexpensive things as expensive ones. I thought if I gave the bracelets to people for Christmas I could include a photo of the artist who made it. I know there are plenty of folk artists in this country, etc. but I enjoy connecting in some small way with people from other places. Plus, in the case of the printmaker especially, I like the art work. I did not get to see the whole market because I was the guest of my friend and wanted to stay with her most of the time.

Santa Fe, NM

I forgot, I hadn't posted some of my fav. photos yet. This is the older woman I was talking about. I posted a picture of her on Daily Pic's.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And, Paja, that's right. The artists do get the money. They come a long way to do this. I took several pictures of this woman from India. Isn't she great!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

In Santa Fe we have a huge American Indian market in August and a Spanish market which may have come and gone already, I forget. These markets generate a great part of the income these artists/craftspeople make. The markets are all kind of exhausting, crowded, etc. but the quality of the work is excellent. Personally, I like the folk art best. These photos are very minimally edited, if at all, because I am excited to show you the event. Another good thing is that children get to be there and there is music, too.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Indian Market and Hispanic Market are in August. Your pictures are wonderful. Color, interesting people, great crafts. I guess some day, I am going to have to brave the crowds and go.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting this roybird. I would have enjoyed it too, but just as well me and my wallet stayed home. That jacket is great. Your friend looks very much like a friend of mine's wife. They live in California.

Santa Fe, NM

The one with the jacket? Interesting. She is a jewelry designer and does live in California but is not married. At least not currently. She is really a friend of my old buddy, Susan, with the curly hair, who is very married. I have forgotten where these pottery pieces were from. I think the man in the background is the artist.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

You can see how packed the crowd was by 9:00 a.m. It takes endurance to shop! I wish that more of my photos had come out better. I have some that need editing, mostly exposure problems. I think I got a couple of good ones, though. It was good practice.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great flag photo, roybird. Exposure vs. distance is the big problem in SLR's which is why I only kind of sort of covet one. I have other challenges right now, but I bet DH will have to have one eventually. He is skilled in that sort of photography. I am not. But if he buys one I can borrow it a lot! In the meanwhile, I love my point and shoot.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly pics roybird. Thanks for sharing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.