Advice on structures for clems

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

my clems (3) in the grouping are too close together to fit but only two of these supports.... I really like the vertical interest these supports would create in the garden almost more than the support they would be for the clems.... Winter is on its way so I like to have other object that stand out. We woke up to low 40's this morning. Can anyone say burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm not ready for this YET! LOL

Janet

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I'm not either. I had to put the heat on in the car going to work this morning. That was not a happy moment.

I have 4 clems on a 4 foot obelisk......2 too many :) At least I know I have some very healthy clems. (Chalk Hill close out specials)

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

venu my 3 are CH close outs too.. : ~ )

Janet

Baton Rouge, LA

How long ago did Chalk Hill close?

Last year, and it's a crying shame. Their stuff was great! I got one from there that I L-O-V-E and haven't seen elsewhere. Lucky I got it when I did.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Which one is that? WD---ha ha ha!

Which ones did you scoop up Janet?

Pirl, that would be lincolnshire lady or maybe it's lady lincolnshire or ladyshire lincoln ...

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Lali, Sue, and I went to Chalk Hill in April 2008, shortly before they closed. I loved their vines and I really miss having them as a source. They had such a huge selection and the prices were comparatively low.

Anyone who can get a clematis from Michigan Bulb Co. to grow deserves all the praise possible. That's our Zuzu!

Baton Rouge, LA

What size did Chalk Hill sell? Were they similar in size to SSV or to Brushwood?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never bought any from SSV. They came in bands, similar to the ones Vintage uses, but the bands were much taller. The roots were much longer than on Brushwood's vines.

Baton Rouge, LA

Everybody raves so much about Chalk Hill, so I was imagining gallon pots or something! I have had a very good experience with my band size clems... they've proved much easier than my band size roses, even planting as late as I did.

Appleton, WI

Chalk Hill used 4 inch extra tall pots - I think they were 7- 8 inches tall.

Baton Rouge, LA

Ah, thanks! Good to know, JuliaJayne. I'll have to search for those. I'm assuming the extra depth provided better water retention for the roots, and of course encouraged them to go deeper.

Appleton, WI

I got a bunch of clem books from a different library yesterday. In one of them, I think it was one of Barry Fretwell's books, he recommends the deeper pot too.

Did we ever come up with a list of the best Clem books? Maybe someone could start a thread on it. Seems it would be helpful to all of us clem lovers.

Appleton, WI

There was some talk about it one of the threads. I'm blanking on the thread title.

Blanking seems to be my hobby lately.

Appleton, WI

Me too. I had to get a planner to keep track of my life these days. Now I have to remember to write everything in it and to check it.

...and remember where you put it!

I missed two doctor's appointments in the last month and was an hour early for another one!

Baton Rouge, LA

Julia, I'll take a look for that. I have a BUNCH of clem books here now! LOL! I've really gotten into this and have been reading non-stop. I think the best "beginner" book I've found is still the one by AHS/RHS (it's the same book with a different banner depending on the country) called Practical Guides: Clematis. It was published by DK, but is out of print now. You can still pick up used copies on Amazon, and many libraries have it as well. Then there are two previous books by Raymond Evison that I like. They have a lot of overlap information, so I don't think I would have purchased both if I had been able to look through them ahead of time. One is "Making the Most of Clematis" and the other is "Clematis for Everyone" -- and they are both very well done IMO for cultural/practical information on clems. The newest book by Evison, "Clematis for Small Spaces," is a beautiful book and it has a LOT of pairing suggestions... not just with roses, but with many other plants in the garden. What I like about it is that it gives specific suggestions of what shrub or tree with what clematis, rather than just generalities, so that you can truly picture EXACTLY what the author is talking about with combinations. It's full of lots of beautiful pics as well. I have a Fretwell book and a Toomey book, and they are both quite complete and very authoritative, but I found the Evison books more "readable"... especially for a novice. The last book I found that I really liked was the new DK book "Clematis & Climbers," by David Gardener. I also saw this at my local library and I think it's on the recommended list for library purchasing agents, so you can probably find it easily throughout the country. It's inexpensive as well, so if your library doesn't have it, you could snap it up on Amazon. It has a lot of do-it-yourself tips on structures for clems and climbers as well. Very informative and helpful!

Appleton, WI

I have many of the books you mentioned sitting on the table next to the sofa right now, and the others from the last batch of library books. I read most of the books when I first started growing clematis, but I am getting much more from them now that I've had more experience raising clematis in my garden.

All the books give practical advice on cultivation, but did you notice that there isn't a lot of agreement on soil amendments in the planting hole and the planting depth varies somewhat?

If someone plans on growing a few clematis, then just about any book will be fine. Others give ideas for supports, focus on the habits of the plants, or are better plant reference books. That's why I usually recommend using the online catalog at your local library as a resource. I use the library catalogs for 2 counties, which gives me access to about 20 clematis books.

The one I like the most, not counting Mary Toomey's books, which are fantastic plant reference books, is Linda Beutler's book: Gardening with Clematis, Design and Cultivation. If I could have only one clematis book, Linda's book would be it.

Thanks for the recommendation, JJ.

I used to follow directions each nursery provided and they all did fine but the one that always grows the best is one Jackmanii that backs up to the compost pile. That was my big tip off. Now I no longer get myself crazed with concoctions and use mostly compost with manure and add a lot (a big barrel) of compost as mulch.

We prune this one twice during the growing season...by 9 feet each time. If we left it alone it would cross all three compost bins.

This photo just shows the back of it!

Thumbnail by pirl
Baton Rouge, LA

Yes, Julia, I did notice that there isn't a lot of agreement between the books on depth and planting hole size! However, both the ICS and BCS websites agree on planting hole or minimum container size at 18" x 18" so I feel safe going with that. I've now seen a tendency for references to list the depth as a range rather than an absolute, at 5 to 10 cm, which is roughly 2 to 4 inches.

There are many times when I can't get down 18" but it's where I want the clem to grow so I take the chance and do the best I can knowing they may not thrive. They generally do.

Appleton, WI

That is great info Pirl, we can all benefit from as it's hard to argue with that photo.

One thing that I keep reading about is to also add grit to heavy clay soils to help keep it loose. As a test, I mixed a little grit, which is limestone, into the top layer of a pot to make sure that it wouldn't negatively affect the clematis. I don't know if a month was enough time, but so far so good. The nice thing about mixing in a little grit was the potting soil didn't crust over.

I add little chunks of cement for clematis and for tall bearded irises. I've done it for years after having read about it long ago. I have a container filled with little chunks (from old sidewalks or steps - not necessarily my own!) for just that purpose. My soil does have good texture so I'm just adding it for the lime it releases slowly.

Appleton, WI

That's good to know, too Pirl.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.