Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hopefully, it looks inviting.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Home at last! Is there a feeling of comfort? Ric

This message was edited Jul 9, 2009 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The fragrance of the bloom, and shadowy profiles, in the dark can be just as comforting. Now tap your ruby slippers and hold Toto tightly. You can be there! Slowing down to the speed of life is great. Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks wonderful Ric! Are the bull frogs croaking?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No! these cooler temperatures (currently 67F) have even silenced the tree frogs, although today's balmy 80 brought out the hummers, I saw 6 at once on the trumpet vine, which is now just past prime. Ric

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very prettiful!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

How pretty! I really like the lights on the pergola in the top photo. Good night shots too.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Very nice...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The lights wound thru the arbor are those small Christmas plastic crystal things, when the trumpet vine is in full foliage they give it an almost glowing warm appearance. They actually work well year round to light the entry, for the holidays we add fresh evergreens and red velvet bows extending down the top rail on either side. At halloween they are replaced by a string of lighted small skulls and jack-o-lanterns, which go well with the yard decor and the crazy old guy that dresses as who knows what this year to trick the kids before he treats them. LOL Ric

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks heavens this years crazy old guy is not complete with Hook Hand!!!! !!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, LOL Yep he is a crazy old guy.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I love crazy old guys!!!!

Monrovia, MD

Just beautiful and very inviting. What is the vine climbing up the corner fo the house in the last picture?
I have a nithg blooming, tropical waterlily in one of my barrel ponds - but it hasn't bloomed yet. It is supposed to be fragrant - can't wait!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, I fell madly in love with a crazy young guy and somehow he became a crazy old guy. Oh well, it has never been boring. LOL
yvgfjayne, That vine is a Morning Glory that is growing in a pot sitting on my porch step.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 3:09 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Anyone else have have any good night shots? Ric

I've never really tried--and I'm sorry I don't have any moonflower to look forward to this year, that would be a good subject.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Wonderful shots!! Looks so inviting!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ha! I have a night blooming daylily, but can't remember where I planted it. I'll try to locate it during the day light so that I can at least have some clue as to where to search for it in the dark. Don't know how the photos will turn out.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

A crazy Old Guy??? Besides, he is also a sensitive, poetic, emotional "Old Guy"....
Ilustrated HERE:
The fragrance of the bloom, and shadowy profiles, in the dark can be just as comforting. Now tap your ruby slippers and hold Toto tightly. You can be there! Slowing down to the speed of life is great. Ric

AAAAHHHHH........Be still my heart! Ahem.....ooops! Holly--cover your eyes and ears.....

Gita ...:o)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Gita, what a lovely sentiment. You are very right. I guess it was the crazy young man that got my attention but I fell in love with the sensitive, poetic, emotional wonderful young man. Your comments touched my heart. Holly

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, Holly......
Takes one to know one......Hope you don't mind my comments.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Gita, Never would I mind someone telling me what a great husband I have.
BTW, Ric has commented more than once on what an attractive woman you are. (wink,wink)

Ric's having a bad day, just his arthritis not his hand. Maybe he will be up posting tomorrow or even hopefully feel up to a planed outing with the Grandchildren.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, don't let him read this thread. That man is going to get swollen head syndrome from this gaggle of hens singing his well deserved praises. You lucky babe!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I found out which Daylily is night blooming. It's called "Lunar Mist". Now, I've got to locate it in the garden.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/23556/

Notice that the only photo in PF is the one provided by Darryl Apps. I guess nobody has gone out DL hunting at night to get a photo. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, Too late, I have seen this thread, fact is, I started it! I promise not to get a swollen head. I'll just try harder to live up to expectations. Ric
Saw a neat flick the other night "Constant Gardner".

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, What a neat flower. I keep thinking I will add a lot of night blooming flowers to the back yard when we finally get around to planting back there. I was planing in putting a few in the corner beds of the gazebo. I think it would look so nice looking out into my garden at night and seeing some pretty flowers.

Kitchen window, guessing green lacewing

Thumbnail by sallyg
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, definitely a lace wing! Good call. Ric

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Holly, this is a must have for your gazebo, Night Phlox. They open at night and have a great scent. Annual but easy to grow from seed.

Sally, like your bug picture.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, here's a nighttime fragrance picture - cigarette smoke and skunk ....mmm...

Thumbnail by claypa

Ok, these are better.

Thumbnail by claypa

ahh, nicotiana I thought I'd have self sown ones all over the place but have only found one- the rest of my fuzzy babies this year are giant wild mullein. I have a huge crop of them this year for some reason. Usually I have just a few ,1-2 token ones to keep the cycle going.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Ladyg, I have been thinking about a few fragrant flowers for out there, too. They would cover both night interest and fragrance.
Claypa, LOL What a great shot I can just see the smoke whirling around your head as you pinch your nose and click the shutter. LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh folks, I can't even think about nocturnal blooms until after I get the day time blossums filled in.

Neat pix, Claypa.

Lady, that Phlox looks very inviting.

Rick, I saw the "Constant Gardener" and really liked it. Course, I like anything with Rafe Fiennes in it. How handsome was he in "The English Patient"!

Sally, I love Mullein. I planted some nice white ones with purple eyes, but some of them came up looking like the species, which I also like. Just cut the last blooms off of them.

Speaking of Lacewings, I put 10,000 of them in the garden last month and another 5,000 this week. I haven't seen many of them about. Hope they didn't all fly away. I also put about 15,000 Ladybugs out there and they are still hanging around. They are doing a very good job keeping the thrips and mites off of the roses. Haven't had to spray much of anything this year.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2009 2:04 AM

When you buy lacewings, are they larvae or adults? I guess they're predators in either stage.

This was 45 minutes before sunrise on Sunday - Venus is just to the right of the top of the dawn redwood, Mars is in the upper right. Jupiter has been easy to see for a couple weeks now too, and four of its moons are visible with any telescope or good binoculars

Thumbnail by claypa
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Clay, great picture, I like the fade from light to dark.
On the lite side LOL........
Will Jupiter aline with Mars ? Is this the dawning of Aquarius? Ahhhh takes me back to my teen years.

Nice picture---and the tune for those words,, and more lyrics, come instantly to me Chris- you have company!
the age of Aquarius,
the age ...of Aquariussssssss.....Aquariussssssss.....(dah, dah DAH dah dah dadahhh!) Aquariussssssss

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Great shot Mike! I miss watching the sky at night from my hot tub. I gott'a get that thing fixed.
Sally and Chris, "Aquarius" brings to mind a movie Holly and I watched the other day. "Forty Year Old Virgin", I'm not quite sure why, but it ended with that song and was good for more than one belly laugh. Forty years of no sex doesn't sound funny, so I guess it was a dawning on his part. LOL Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Neat Shot Claypa. I got the lacewings in both forms. It was the recommended regimen and then 3 subsequent shipments 2 weeks apart. I also bought and applied the beneficial nematodes. I saw your post about not having any japanese beetles this year. I've only seen 1 and thought that the Milky Spore had done it's job. But maybe there just aren't any around this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.