Biostack bins on sale

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Smith and Hawkin is having a going out of business sale. Everything in their retail stores is 20 to 30% off. The online store has already closed.

Karen

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

O, dear, what a shame!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

That's sad news Karen, but thanks for letting us know. I am going to stop by my store on the way home.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2009 3:35 PM

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I did stop by on the way home. As of 3:00 EDT, there were about 250 left in their inventory. I bought six, although I only need one.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow, I can not believe my eyes. I just purchased one biostack over the internet and received it about a week ago and love it, boy I am glad I purchased it before they close, it is too bad I was hoping to use my 20% off coupon I received from them and purchase some more from them.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I received an e-mail from Smith & Hawken this morning about this. I had no idea! I guess I figured that their prices were so high that they must be making money hand-over-fist. Anyway, I Googled it and came across the following story.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_12798190

I was pretty surprised to learn that 1. Scotts Miracle Gro owned Smith & Hawken, 2. That the founders of the company wanted people to boycott it after Scotts had managed make S&H "a ghost of itself" and 3. That they only had 56 retail stores.

Hopefully some of their better products, like the Biostack, will find new life with a different company.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Holy cow, pennefeather! You bought 6 more Biostacks? What are you going to do with them?

Biostacks are popular. I wouldn't be surprised if another company ends up with the patent and design.

Karen

Huntersville, NC

ok
- youve got me
- what are Bio-Stacks??

any links to info??

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Karen,

I don't need 6 biostacks. I'm going to sell 5 of them. They are supposed to arrive this week at the store, and I will pick them up. I didn't want to take the chance that I couldn't get one later.

I just emptied my original one last night.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That's a lot of $$$ to lay out . Do you know people who will buy them from you?

Karen

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

not yet.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I love my Biostack, I am sure you will find people that will see the benefits of having one. By the way I heard somewhere that Biostack is a Consummer Reports winner, so you might be able to advertise it like that as well.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

What's your asking price?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

The biostacks finally arrived today. I have already posted them on Ebay.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Do you still have any of your biostacks left that you were wanting to sell? I had just been reading on the composting forum and tried to log onto SMith and Hawken website to order and it informed me the online store was unavailable.

Please dmail if you still have them.
Thanks
Genna

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I stopped in at my local Smith and Hawkins today to see what was happening with the Biostacks. The manager checked the computer and said that the warehouse had no biostacks left. According to her, the only ones in the system now are either already in the local stores or on trucks to be delivered to stores.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

I saw some in a local nursery earlier this summer. I wonder if this item will be continued by Scott's.... If no, then maybe they will start showing up in other outlets.

~Sharon

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, they sold out really fast. I was at my local store about a week ago and they still had quite a few there.

I keep checking back at the store. They keep getting new stuff and there are a lot of bargains to be had. I hope Scott's keeps making the Biostack- it would be a shame to let such a good design die.

Karen

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have 2 biostacks and am looking for 2 more.
I have tried my local nurseries with no luck yet.

Does anyone know if Biostack is manufactured by someone else,
and just marketed by Smith & Hawken?
Maybe available from the manufacturer?

Or does anyone have a recommendation of a composter w/ similar design?
I want to buy a couple more in time for the autumn leaf deluge.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Your very welcome. :o)

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

The website says that you have to be a member of alameda county, so does this mean that not everybody can buy from this web site?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I found what looks like the same thing online at 'Do It Best' Hardware stores.
It's branded as a 'Miracle-Gro' compost bin.
But the item number is the same as the item number for the Biostack from Smith & Hawken.
Looks like it's made by Scott, who I believe is the owner of Smith & Hawken.
It's cheaper than the Biostack price.
And free shipping if it's shipped to a Do It Best Hardware store.
I ordered two. Should be here this week.
I'll see if it turns out to be the same Biostack I have now.
I hope it's not a flimsy imitation...

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I hope it is the same. We never know who owns who anymore. :o) let us know what they are like.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - please let us know how they look when they arrive........... never heard of a "do it best" hardware store. Guess we don't have any of those in this area.............

Genna

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow, it does look the same please let us know how yours turns out. I really love my Smith & Hawken composter. I had my DH build me a cheapo one out of wire fencing and I am hoping as soon as the Smith & Hawken has finish composting that I can tranfer the material from the fencing composter to the Smith & Hawken one. My next thing to buy on my list is a rain barrell.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My Miracle Gro composters arrived yesterday.
They look identical to my 2 Biostacks.
In fact, the box says 'Biostack' on the outside.
The boxes are smaller, so at first, I though they weren't going to be the same.
But to my relief on opening them up, they look identical.
So now I have 4 Biostacks.
I'm ready for fall.
Bring it on!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

That is great. I looked it up on the net and the name of the company is Scott Miracle Grow. They must have merged. And I noticed on the picture of the box of the one you bought says the Scott co. So good to know they are still out there.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I found Biostacks at Amazon - they are called: Scotts Company Compost Bin Mg Orange 100164

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RUMDCK/ref=asc_df_B001RUMDCK885485?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=priceg56-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001RUMDCK

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Honeybee, THANKS for this link. I had been feeling bereft because I thought Biostacks were a thing of the past. These bins from Scotts look identical and I ordered two--and they are cheaper than at Smith & Hawkin!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

You're welcome. I need to order a couple more, too.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes, thank you so much for all this links they are of great help, I might order some in the futurea as well! :)

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Any idea where I can get another biostack composter, the one in amazon is unavailable so I am wondering if i can get it anywhere else.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much puddle pirate.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Y'welcome.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

How long does it take to make compost in a biostacker on average?? 3 mos? 6 mos? I am just wondering once you get it full how long it takes..... I am assuming most people have more than one to rotate thru the year.....

thanks for the new links.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

How long from start to finish depends on a lot of things- the right C:N ratio or close, the right moisture, the right temperature, how often you flip it.

I have 2 Biostacks and I usually get two nice batches a year- one each in spring and fall. Sometimes I do use it before it's quite finished. I'll top dress with it when it gets that nice aroma even if there's still some chunky stuff left.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.