papaya trees

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

in the Philippines, we do not fry the chicken. the chicken soup is achieve by boiling the chicken in water, using 2-3 slices of quarter size ginger, 1 med. onion quartered. when chicken begin to boil, be sure to skim off any substance that come to surface. simmer between 30-45 mins.. depending on chicken's tenderness. once chicken is cooked or tender, add the green papaya to cook. personally i love to add tender pepper leaves [has the texture and taste of spinach] on this dish. be sure to season accdg to taste before serving. i do not season with salt, when we eat this dish we serve with fish sauce on the side for flavor.

both the onions and gingers are also eaten too. nothing is wasted in the orient. it is not a rule but solely dependent on personal preferences. i love eating both raw and cooked ginger, since my grandma told me the ginger fibers "sweeps and clean" our internal organs.

hope i simplified this recipe.

Kapaa, HI

To :ToucanOasis

I am so glad you liked it. Yes it is good.

Kapaa, HI

PAPAYA SALSA

dice
one slightly under ripe papaya
one ripe but not to soft papaya (it depends on how you like it)

chop one onion

chop two or three garlic cloves

add lime juice and a little lime zest

a couple of tsps of vinegar (to taste)

salt

a handful of cilantro leaves chopped

chopped hot pepper or some Sarachi Hot Sauce

mix it together in a bowl
adjust the flavor how you like it....

eat as a relish or a salsa
I like to put it on sandwiches as a relish
or add to different foods that require salsa

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

mmmm...we use to make this in Africa...with the habenero pepper..soo good..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some friends that live in Kekaha!

Wonga Beach, Australia

Going back earlier regarding chopping off the papaya leaves (called pawpaw in Australia too) I found the more leaves you chop off the taller it grows. If you put the papaya in a very sunny position it should only grow about 4meters maximum. Mine are in full sun, about 2-3meters tall, with a truckload off pawpaws on them and the leaves also help hide the fruit from the birds.

Keaau, HI

If you give them a potassium luxurious environment, they will get more flavor, and sweeter!
White wood ashes are excellent as a supplement.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I find the same, I take off all of the lower leaves and the tree grows very tall.
If only I can find white wood ashes..my Manini need some, I wonder then if I fertilize it with my high potasium Hibiscus fertilizer will work. The Papayas simply freak out over it.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Sylvain, did you find green papaya local yet? I think I saw them at Flamingo gardens out west of the saw grass mall Jim

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I want to try to grow a papaya. I don't like the fruit, I just want to grow the plant. Will they survive winter here? It does freeze a couple of times a year.

Huffman, TX

I live north and east of you in Huffman. Both of my papayas lived through last winter but we had a makeshift greenhouse around them. Right now they are both appx. 7 ft tall and the girl has 20 papayas.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Fireflywoods, I think I might give them a try.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have half a papaya (with the seeds) that has been sitting in the refrigerator for 5 or 6 days. I will put it in a pot with some soil, water it and stick it in the sun. If it works with compost heaps, maybe it will work that way. I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Sylvain.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

even if they do freeze, they can recover. If that happens, the tree is hollow, just plug up the hole when the top comes off - loosely...I use anything from wine cork to just stuffing paper towels or a rag. that keeps water from entering the tree which usually finishes them off after the frost damage.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, I think I will try them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It if helps, I wrote a papaya 101 in my journal
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/1993/
scroll down to
PAPAYA 101 START HERE

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 4:48 PM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh thank you, that's just what I needed. Thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you have any issues, I'll be happy to bring you a couple of tree's I started - they are still kind of small. My friend Kristi lives there in Sugar Land and she comes shopping in the Heights all the time, I can send it back with her or we can rendez-vous some where.
But it is fun growing them yourself!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey thanks! You're the best. I've already got the papaya so we'll try that, hey?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

good deal! have fun!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

One of the major uses for Papayas in the US is as a meat tenderizer. The papain enzyme breaks down the muscle and makes even tough cuts of meat more edible. Friends from Jamaica said it was used to tenderize older goat meat.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

In south Africa they also sometimes use it as a meat tenderiser, i think its the seeds they use.
Isaac

That sounds right Isaac, you can buy it pre-packaged as a powder here. Have seen articles that suggest using the powder for bug bites and stings. They say just make a paste of it and apply.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

I . but you can also use crushed seeds and sprinkle it over tough meat. my mom is wary checked my herb book, in SA we wrap the meat in the leaves and leave them overnightof trying anything new with herbs, but next time i cook i will try it!
i read an article that says the root, pounded and beaten and taken in hot water, is used to relieve kidney and bladder troubles.
i think i mentioned before that someone told us that you should drink pawpaw tea to prevent malaria, but its not true! i got malaria twice while drinking it. by the way, i have malaria at the moment, started this morning. i have been drinking prevention for 5 months everyday, but i got it anyway. can you believe it! its the sixth time i have malaria this year!
isaac

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh my... that must be horrible. Get better soon and keep in touch.

Sylvain.

Aw Isaac, I am so sorry you are ill again. I surely wish there were something I could do to help. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Jean/Moon

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Praying for you here also Issac, I can only imagine the stress your under, get well soon. Jim

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ah yes, Malaria..un-fun! The Dr. told me it stays with you for the rest of our lives. I've only had 2 re-recurrences though.
I'm sure you know the routine by now with keeping fluids!

Isaac, have you had the chloroquine followed by primaquine treatment for your illness? I was reading that the primaquine has been successful in killing the parasites that settle in the liver causing relapses. I do not know if it is available in Mozambique, but was amazed at the success rate. I found this link, I am sure you have most of this info already, but thought it might contain something useful for you.

http://www.anytestkits.com/malaria-symptoms.htm

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009 9:47 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

we use to take it every week, that and I think dariprim. It definitely helps, but seems like you still get it anyway.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

So sorry you are feeling so poorly again Isaac - hope by now you are on the mend ^_^

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hi everyone,
thanks, i am on the mend. i will check out that link, Jean. i am a malaria prone, have had it over 20 times. i have tried all kinds of treatments, though i am very wary of prevention. a lot have more serious side effects than getting malaria. this bout was a light one, i am already back to school. it just left me tired and drained. i am drink a herbal supplement now, it should help me build up my health again!
i got to go, schoolwork calls!
Isaac

Good to hear you are feeling better. Take care of yourself Isaac.

Jean/Moon

Virginia Beach, VA

Here s my recipe of papaya soup;
i prefer chicken wings:

cut up chicken wings and saute in olive oil till brown., add med onion and cut up ginger , low sodium soy and fish sauce, pepper and saute for few minutes.add water and simmer till chicken is tender. Add cubed/sliced papaya and cook till done. Serve with rice

VARIATIONS;
Add pepper leaves if you like. they are very edible and are bought in asian markets

substitute papaya with chayote

Add chicken gizzards but takes longer to cook so cook it first before the wings

I cook this few times a month. Yum--yum Belle

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hi Belle,
i presume green papaws?
Isaac

Virginia Beach, VA

I am not sure if papaws and papaya are the same. belle

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

we call them paw paws in Africa

Virginia Beach, VA

Thank you!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

sure, a little twist on things there sometimes...in Liberia we called termites
Bug a bugs

Xai Xai, Mozambique

ok, what i was actually asking was if they should be green?
Isaac

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.