Can you help with an ID?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I saw this at the Denver Botanic Gardens. That would make it hardy to around Zone 5. It is growing in a rock or alpine bed there. I believe the foliage reached 6". I don't think it was receiving full sun either.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It would probably be best to post this on the ID forum, given that no one here has responded.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I did post it on the ID Forum, naturally. However the folks there recommended that I post it here since I wasn't getting any responses over there. One person did offer a guess as some type of Senecio.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh, sorry. I missed that one!

EDIT: It appears the DBG is set up to answer ID queries, if you send the photo and the garden section it was in:
http://www.botanicgardens.org/content/living-collections

There is also an on-line search of their living collection... but the ease of using that relies on having some sense of what it is already.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 9:19 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Jonna, it has been ID'd by the Denver Botanic Garden as Hieracium lanatum, in the ID forum.

PS. I do love the furry leaves on H. villosum!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, sorry Jonna. I had forgotten I had multiple threads regarding this plant. Thanks for that link for the DBG altagardener.

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I love Hieracium. I have H. aurantiaca, H. pilosella, H. intybacum and H. bauhinii. Although they all have a bit furry leaves, the H. villosum is a real beauty. I will try to get seeds of that one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Jonna, I can send you seeds of H. villosum.

Altagardener, you will make me very happy with those seeds. Please have a look at my have list to see if you can find something interesting for you. If you can't find something, have a look later, I'll be adding seeds every week.
Jonna

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I was at the Denver Botanic Gardens today and I found another Hieracium species you guys might find interesting. The ID stated on the sign is Hieracium tardans, Asteraceae, Switzerland. However, I am not so sure that it is a valid species. It is listed on ZipcodeZoo but isn't recognized by USDA's GRIN.

I took a couple of photos which are not good at all but I think you will get a general idea of how they look. The leaves form an attractive mat.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is the other photo. I was tempted to collect seeds but didn't.

Thumbnail by plutodrive

That's also a beautiful one. Why didn't you collect the seeds?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Jonna, I saw that at the botanic garden and wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette to pick seeds from their plants.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

GRIN is not a complete botanical listing, nor does it claim to be. It is mainly agricultural plants, so I would never expect Hieracium to be included.

Gathering seed from botanical gardens is most likely forbidden without special permission. That said, some places might simply say "go ahead". Others may want you to give them a list of everything you harvest. It just depends on the individual gardens. The DBG does harvest a lot of seed from their rock gardens, and distributes them via several rock garden societies and other botanical gardens, etc. throughout the world.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009 2:31 AM

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

What references do you use for identification purposes? There are a number of Hieracium species listed in GRIN but not as many listed in USDA's NRCS. http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch?keywordquery=Hieracium+&mode=sciname&submit.x=0&submit.y=0 Would you consider that to be a complete botanical listing?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I always assumed (correct me if I am wrong) that the USDA data base was only for what grows in the US natively or as an alien, since mapping is only for the US.

Frankly, I don't think any one site can be completely complete. Names are constantly changing, and there are always debates as to the validity of certain latin names and whether they warrant species/subspecies/variety/etc. status. I guess my favorite is zipcode zoo for that, since it is quite user friendly, and includes many footnotes in the chronology of naming the particular plant.

For identification, boy, I use many sources, and sometimes I still get no answers. I might look and see if it is listed or can be keyed in the eflora.org sites. I have many bookmarks for genus sites (although once again none are all encompassing), like penstemon, crocus, fritillaria, Lilium, saxifraga, sedums, etc. Maybe we should start a new thread regarding this, and probably best on the ID forum?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you Leftwood, I have been searching many sites as well.Sites for wildflowers, sedums, South African plants, certain nurseries, etc.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.