Brazosberry question

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I planted Brazosberries last year and they produced berries this year. Not very many but good looking ones. After producing, the canes look like they are dying. all the leaves turned brown and dropped off then the canes look like they are dying. What do I need to do? Any suggestions? They are planted in a raised bed in full sunlight. Is that too hot? Over 100 degrees for several days here so far this year. No rain, but I do water with well water on a daily basis. Is that too much water?
Susie

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.berryfarm.com/plantcare.html

Deadwooding When the fruiting season is over, the canes that bore the fruit this year will all die. By that time, there is a pretty full hedge of new canes so your row is all renewed. Then it's time for the pruning phase that we call "deadwooding." We take pruners and cut the old wood that just finished bearing fruit off at the ground, pull it out of the row, and haul it to the burn pile. Burning this deadwood is recommended for disease control.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much for the info, I have bookmarked the link.
This helps so much.
Susie

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

If that is Brazos Blackberry, there will, after a time, be new plants show up from underground runners connected to the mother plant.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Yes Linda, it is Brazos Blackberries and it does have runners showing up now but nothing from the original place I planted. The runners are looking good. I have cut down the dead canes. Now ,all it needs is some raaaiiinnn. Will probably be praying it will stop come October.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.