Less common but hardy fruit harvest

Greensburg, PA

Thought I share a pic showing a sampling of today's small fruit harvest. Shown are about 5 kinds of gooseberries, just now starting to ripen, white currents (Swedish White), pink currants, red currants, blueberries, white strawberries, white Nanking cherries and a couple of small red Nanking cherries.

The gooseberries are represented by Jewel, Glendale, Hinnomaki Red, Tixia and Black Velvet

Thumbnail by krowten
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Yum!
My bushes just went in this year..but it is so nice to see what I have to look forward too!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

your growing all the berries i want to eventaully start growing

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

looks delicious! how do you tell when gooseberries are ripe???

Greensburg, PA

re:gb ripeness. Generally I wait until I see some start to fall off. However, a gentle squeeze will reveal some "give" to the berry as it approaches optimum. I also pick a likely ripe berry and taste before harvesting the bush. GB's are edible on the plant for an extended period and slowly sweeten the longer on the plant, so there is generally no rush (unless you are fighting the various pests.)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Imzadi,
Our local vendor bought a bunch of Gooseberry in zone 8b and they melted in the heat. Of course, it was well over 100. Just letting you know they might not like it real hot.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

hmm thats bites. keep hearing how good they are and never had one guess if they hate heat they not good for her unless in shade maybe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.