First bloom on Red Mandevilla

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Got this as a tinyyyyyyyy cutting in a trade, noid- but it sure in pretty.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Central, VA(Zone 7b)

It is a beauty and your photography is great too.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Beautiful! Still waiting on mine to bloom!

X

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

That is so pretty. Mine is fixing to bloom any time and I can't wait. I have never had one before.

can anyone figure out the cultivar from the picture ?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

May I ask where you got it?

local gardening group and a plant swap. The gal I got it from didn't know the name of it only that it is Mandevilla.

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

I bought a red one in bloom, then all the blooms died off and it looked really sickly. My yellow one is alomost invasive but the white, pink and red are really hard. The red has survived but does not look great.....

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is the pic. of my first one with the first bloom.

Thumbnail by makshi

makshi, that's really pretty...looks similar to mine...what's the cultivar?

This message was edited Jul 13, 2009 3:37 PM

That is lovely...now it really makes mine look sick :(

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thank you. I am so happy with her and hope I can keep it alive through the winter. My Son
got her marked down from $39.00 to $3.00 and I thought that was wonderful. Sorry I am not sure about cultivar.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is the Cultivar: Sun Parasol Crimson

great! Thank You !

No words of wisdom for my sickish plant? Need a picture maybe?

cocoloba, this is my first attempt at growing these and don't really know their "quirks" but a picture probably would help. Maybe start a new thread for it that way you'll probably get a faster reply.

Thanks MJ

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Don't tell anybody that it's Sun Parasol. Those are patent protected and can't be propagated, I believe. I was just reading in a magazine that a nursery was fined big bucks because they were caught propagating Knock Out Roses. Not to say someone's going to come knocking on your door, but you never know! USDA came to my house and asked about some citrus seeds I bought on eBay! The agent was very nice but it was scary all the same.

Cocoloba, I have mine in pots and they weren't doing very well, not growing very fast- I moved them to where they are getting morning sun, and then afternoon shade. They weren't rootbound in their 1 gallon pots but I moved them to a 2 gallon and added some time release fertilizer. In just one week they went crazy, I have a lot of blooms on all of them and the blooms are bigger than ever. Not sure if it was the bigger pot, or rain, or fertilizer or shade!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Man that is beautiful, grrr just jealous!

pajonica

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have Giant Parasol Crimson along with Giant Pink on trellis, bought it in spring from one of the Big Box stores, so far, its doing really well.

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

and here is the yellow, that I keep pruning to keep from growing all over the place

Thumbnail by cue_chik

Lakeside...well, since I received it as a cutting in a trade, and it was not identified I can only say that it looks very similar to the Sun Parasol. Don't really know how that works tho. What about trades w/ plants that are patented? Does it mean you can't propagate for sale, or does trading count too ?

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Really, I don't know! They are probably more concerned with nurseries propagating it than backyard gardeners, but you never know.

Cue-chik don't you find the yellow almost invasive? Your pink is lovely I have bought so many without success, now only have yellow and red...seems the other colours apart from yellow are a bit high maintenance...

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

here's my red.. it's more a bush..than a vine though.. nothing grows quite like the pink one here for me though

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I dont think the yellow, at least for me, is invasive in that it isnt poppng up anywhere else int he yard. it did swallow up the trellis ina relatively short amount of time, but I just keep in place by trimming it back every now and then or tucking in vines back into the trellis. :)

But the other colours don't take off like the yellow, or is that only me?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

the other two (red and pink) grow a bit slower and are not quite a bushy as the yellow, however, what they lack in foliage and growth rate, they more than make up for in sheer quantity and beauty in blooms.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 7:22 PM

maybe I should tr again...right now I am on a Brug jag....

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

i did note that the red and pink did require a considerable amount more care than the yellow. I had to baby them for about a month to get them established. the yellow i just planted, watered well for about a week.. and that was it...lol... it was happy with the natural precipitation it gets from the short afternoon showers.

cue_chik, how much sun are you giving yours? I'm about 30 minutes south of you, so shouldn't be that much difference for growing conditions.
HOT.....HUMID....

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have mine planted ont he west side of the house.. they get sun from about 2 pm until about 7 right now.. and they love it

ok..mine is on the southwest side in a corner by the screened porch. Get's pretty much the same kind of sun as yours, since they have the protection of the over hang and the screened porch during the middle of the day.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

when i first planted the red and pink, I habd watered them twice daily the first week, then once a day the second week. every other day the third week, and by the fourth week, watered them only on twice a week on the scheduled watering day 9water restrictions here).. now, I dont water them at all.. they get what they need from the weather and all are doing just fine. i did add a few coffee grounds in the hole i planted them in tho

Coffee grounds ..thats more interesting than powdered milk:)

powdered milk ?????? oh...you can't just leave it at that............s'plain please..........;-)

Don't remember which thread but on one of these someone advocated 1 Tbls or Epsom salt and 1 tbls of powdered creamer in the hole before planting out...

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Milk adds calcium and helps against fungus. I
add epsom,powered milk, coffee grounds, banana peelings to a lot of things.

I've added everything but the powered milk. That's still a new one for me.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

i have read on several websites that milk is not good for plants.. it actually hinders them from taking up precious water and nutrients from the soul.. effectively suffocating plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.