Critters Big and Small Vol 1

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Cool about the bear ...and very cool about the fox & pups!! DH saw a red fox last month dow the road a bit. He was so excited!!

Couple shots of our apple eating deer...trying to figure out if it may be a young buck or doe. It is getting more comfortable with us out there watching it.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Every year it is like one deer gets to claim this tree and the apples!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Time to go now....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I guess, he's getting comfortable with you, he's sticking his tongue out at you, in the first pic!!! :0)
They're beautiful animals.

Somebody's handsome Prince.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Groundhog at the marina.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A dragonfly hanging from a flower on my deck flower box.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great pictures.
Good markings on the skunk.
Those beavers are sure strong! It amazes me. The ponds they built here are finally drying up.

I am happy to say I have lillies in my yard for the first time in years. I can see what colors they are. We select cut some of our woods and it seems the deer now have all those baby trees to eat and have left my yard alone. It is amazing.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Cparts, I do marvel at how good engineers they are, for building strong dams.
As much as I love deers, I'm sure , if they came chowing on my plants, I'd be figuring ways to keep them away as well. I'm glad your on finally able, to see the colors of your lilies.

Had a visitor at my pond yesterday. My neighbor said, something been chomping his string beans. I thing I found who done it?

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

He saw me, and stood very still for a few minutes.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

First time, I've ever seen this bug. Anyone knows what it is?

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Cool!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This moth remind me of lace, with all his markings.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Neat pictures. Love the lacey moth.

I am liking the deer better too, this year. LOL

It is really amazing how changing the habitat in the woods have affected the deer movement in my yard. The forester said that the select cutting would be good for the woods and the deer. I thought losing cover would make the deer go elsewhere. It is just the opposite. I have tender trees growing (about 2 feet tall already) and that is a great food source for the deer.

The beaver were draggin the tree tops down over the ridge, to the river. I wonder what they thought when most of the work was already done for them? Sure heightened their presence as well.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That good to know, that the small tree are providing the necessary food for the deers. The beavers are tenacious workers aren't they?

I found this moth in the grass, struggling to stand strait. It was probably the wrong time of day for it, to be out in the open. I think they only come out at night. I set him up on my brug plant, and he hastily hid under the leaf.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Our Red Squirrel, haven't seen him all summer.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

The Chipmunk come once in a while to eat under the bird feeders.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

I took this photo back at the first part of June. I saw only the bee when I took the shot. But I was pleasantly surprised when I cropped the photo and saw more there hen what met the eye! You just never no what maybe lurking around. :0)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love catching little surprises like that Nanny. I've been collecting a few Caterpillars, to raise, so I can see, what they turn into. Lost 2 big ones one night, They were probably strong enough, to stretch the elastic, holding the screen on top, and escape. One other curled up in a leaf and turned into a dark brown moth. Almost missed it, it was upside down on the screen, when I was checking on the other ones. Took a picture of it, but lost it due to a faulty memory card.:(

Here's a tiny warps, in mid air.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A little Hummingbird, on a fushia bloom.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

An on guard Chipmunk.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

I found and hatched several Monarch Butterfly eggs. But they all died winthin days. The longest lived 5 days I think it was.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I now have 2 Black Swallowtail cats...a smaller one. I have had this one 5 days now.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I found this big one last night. It should pupate soon.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Well my big guy in the above post is going into his "J" today and in a day or two I will have a chrysalis. In 10-14 days hopefully a Black Swallowtail Butterfly! I have 3 more of various sizes also.

One of the twin fawns

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Go news, what type of setup did you make? You'll post of picture of it when it emerge, won't you?
I haven't seen much butterflies in my yard yet. Only some white one flying around.
.My setup must not be fool proof, some keep disappearing on me. I had 2 reddish ones, that I can't find anymore. I found those on my Sugar Maple.
This one is still feeding on birch leaves.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This one escaped, I was waiting for an ID on it, through email. Didn't get any news yet, and it's been a while.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

And this one too. I found both on my delpheniums

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This one snuggle in a curled leaf to pupate and emerge a dark brown moth, looks like the bark of a tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

I use a shoe box standing on end for now for the big cats. That net like material like they use to make on costumes taped on the front and a little door cut in the back. Put a paper on the bottome and put a stick or 2.

I just had to throw it together since I found the cat a brought it home. All I had so far were small ones in the gladware containers! LOL

Shoe box cage..the cat hasn't completely dropped down into the "J" but he is dropping! LOL

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Gladware conatainer...cut a hole in the lid and use a paper towel to keep them in. Paper towel in the bottm for easy clean up. This will do till they are ready to pupate. I was using cheesecloth at first and the little monarches went right thru it and I lost a couple of them...DUH!!!! LOL

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 6:55 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I love photographing wierd bugs when I find them. This one is really kind of pretty! Sorry but I don't know many bug ID's.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

These are all over the place....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Some little thing on thistle

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Some little butterfly or moth

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 4:37 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
PERTH, Australia

Hey Nanny, have you been taking lessons in critter ID from Mrs Ed?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

LOL Margaret, she doing a good job isn't she?
Great setup Nanny, anything around the house can do. Recycle is a "good thing". I'm using an old Aquarium. I find that first bug you posted very interesting. Love it's design.

Last fall, the Raccoons were regular visitors in my back yard. Still have to practice taking pictures at night.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A nice fat toad.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

and a tiny wittsy one.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

LOL at Margaret!! Mrs. Ed is the bestest teacher!!

Love your fat toad!!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

hey! Good IDing! Glad I could help teach.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.