I confess: I have a new 'Sweet Heart"

Longboat Key, FL

So, I was walking through the local farmers market last weekend, and this little lady had a sign on a small box: $4.00 a pound. The stuff looked like large strawberries -- but darker.

Not being one to ignore a challenge, I asked her how to eat them.

They were Lychees she said -- and offered me one -- with instructions,

Nip the stem and start pulling back the skin. Pop it into your mouth, but watch out for the seed.

It came back to me like a flash. I hadn't eaten one of these things in over forty years, during a journey to Hong Kong and China. Then they came in long mesh sleeves -- and, as I recall, were every bit as delicious. Fantastic.

I persisted, back home -- and managed to get this "Sweet Heart" installed.

Does anyone else grow them? This variety is supposed to be much tastier than most others -- and is guaranteed to have the much smaller "chicken tongue" seeds.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I have one that I believe is a Brewster. They also sell them at the grocery store here and I planted the seeds with good success. I believe they were the large Taiwan Lychees from the store. They are hardy to about 24 degrees once they are bigger. If you are zone 9b and up you should be fine. If you are 9a or less, I would plant it within 10 feet of the house on the South facing portion of the house. They will produce leaf growth when temps are over 68 and they will produce flower growth when temps are under 68. They fruit better with two varieties. I really like the bark and the limb shape on the tree. Some people think the "rose" aroma when eating is not palatable. Not me. Good luck! I love those suckers!

Longboat Key, FL

juju~

I was thinking about that -- two varieties, that is.

Home Depot has some baby Mauritius.

I thought, maybe, I'd pop one in beside this one.

That thing about limb shape is wild. I think that it is a result of the "air layering" by which these babies are propagated. They tend to push out on one side. The experts seem to suggest that nipping the other side will instigate a flush of growth there -- but, who knows? I just double staked it -- for safety.

Be well

d-_-b

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

My fruit book says that a young tree, 5-10 years can produce 500 fruits annually. An adults tree, 20+ years can produce 4000+ fruits a year. Now all we need is a time machine. It also says that they should be planted 25 feet apart minimum in an orchard. I would guess that would be around 20 feet in a home setting. Good luck! I am jealous. Mine are in pots.

Longboat Key, FL

Frankly, I don't have that much time -- so Ilook for the closest thing to instant gratification.

I was a flyer in the Eighth Air Force in WWII -- so, you can understand.

But, it's magic, planting a tree.

Ray Bradbury, in his Fahrenheit 451, wrote:

"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, as long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn cutter might just as well not been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime."

It's true.

Be well

(^=_=^)

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Buy an air layered plant. Wll produce in 2-3 yrs. Seed grown take uo to 10 years and some never bloom.

Longboat Key, FL

Thanx Budgie:

Will do.

Be well -- and Happy Fourth

(o_O)

fort myers, FL

Air layered trees can produce fruit right away, as long as they are laryed from a mature tree, you can get fruit the following spring.
Lychee needs some cold to set fruit, they can take a very light frost but still need to be protected when they are young.
Sweetheart also known as Emperor Lychee have large fruit that can get the size of a golf ball, not much difference in taste between the varieties.
We have 14 different varieties growing with around 50 plants in the ground.
You can also grow Lychee from cuttings, these produce in 2-3 years if cut from mature trees.
They do very well as container trees as well, since the fruit grow on new growth pruning down to a managable size works well

That is interesting to know How do you root the cuttings. I'm getting ready to cut my larger one back.

Longboat Key, FL

Sounds good.

Thanks

Be well

(o_O)

Mulberry, FL

I have a brewster it is really putting some new growth on it now

Thumbnail by Danasplants
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine went crazy this year too. I hope to get fruit this year when it cools off.

Longboat Key, FL

Yours are ahead of mine. But I do see the little spikes of leaves along the tips of the bare branches.

Be well

(o_O)

Mulberry, FL

Flyboy just gave it dynamite fertlizer 2 weeks ago I think it liked it :)

Mulberry, FL

Check this out found it the other day www.plantogram.com the fruit trees are amazing here can't think of anything they don't have and alot I never heard of check it out

Longboat Key, FL

Mine came with strict instructions;

No fertilizer for six months. Water, only.

(o_O)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought a bunch of "Taiwan Lychee" from the grocery store and planted the seeds. I had about 90 percent germination. I have no idea what variety but they were large and sweet.
I planted them right after eating and I think that is important for germination.

Mulberry, FL

I still have the tag on mine didn't say anything about that and its been 4-5 since I planted it. I thought about planting the seeds but if it takes that long to get a fruit forget it. 10 years is too long to wait for anything.

Lychees are very susceptible to chemical fertilizer burn until they are well established. I have been using compost on mine but it's been in the ground 5 yrs.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Not if you plant it and ignore it. If it naturalizes then you know you have a good strong tree. That is what I plan on doing.

Mulberry, FL

6 month 5 yrs Not even half a cap of the fertilizer did the job here gave it a little kick I don't think it hurt it any. Time will tell though so far so good :)

Longboat Key, FL

Four years -- and I am about to harvest some Lychees -- I hope.

The blossoms were abundant -- and the pollenaters were pollenating.

I hope -- I hope -- I hope.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

THANKS for the update Flyboy! I hope you immensely enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you are well too. Great thread, can't grow them but love them.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Flyboy!
I am going to "The Lychee Nursery with photos of my mango tree's trunk problem - I think it's a goner. Now that I have read your (and others) interesting Lychee comments, I can pick up a Lychee tree of my own as I get assistance with the mango tree. (See the sad situation in photo below - I will get good advice from this nursery and prob. buy a new mango tree.

Paul (aka B-17G fig grower)

Thumbnail by pbyrley
Longboat Key, FL

pb~

As regards your mango tree (?), repeat slowly after me.................

Yisgadal veyiskadash shemey rabo.....

The above is the start of a prayer in memory of the dead!

The cambium layer is gone -- that is "the end." With respect to what caused it -- start by realizing it is about a foot too high above the ground,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you decide on a new one -- try the "Carrie." Mine is magnificent -- and the most delicious I have ever tasted.

How are the B-17G's, Mine are almost golf-ball sized but still bright green. And bounteous.

Mipii. Wish you could taste them -- the Lychees, I mean!

Be well

(o_O)

Better Lychees than golf balls...to taste, I mean...lol!

Longboat Key, FL

Right!

Longboat Key, FL

Remember the story line about, "Someone been eating my porridge"?

Well, I was not the only one watching my lychees ripen. And -- they starting to be missing from the tree. And -- they weren't on the ground. And -- I started thinking.

We must have guests.

So I prepared a feast. And set it on the ground so that it would be easy to reach.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

I checked at crack of dawn.

Low and behold, we had a visitor. And -- it was so excited that it dashed to and fro to greet me. So, I decided to take it for as ride to a great park. Two islands away -- and full of its friends. I seemed so happy as it flicked its tail -- goodbye,

But I have reset the feast for its other friends, must still be around.

Don't touch that dial.

Be well

(o_O)

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Lol Flyboy, critters played in the wrong yard! I've been thinking about you since I first read this thread, this is quite a bit off-topic but here goes;
What and where did you fly? Just ignore the question if you find it too invasive...and know you have my apologies.

Longboat Key, FL

No -- I am very proud.

I served in the Eighth Air Force. We flew B-17G's (Flying Fortresses). I had 35 missions over the ETO during 1944. I have been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, four Air Medals and Bronze Battle Stars for four separate campaigns.

Our crew constituted ten of us. One was killed -- two resigned after a half-dozen missions --- seven of us successfully completed our tours of duty.

It was a long time ago. Forcefully reminded of it during this week.

Be well

(o_O)

Thanks for the details, you should be very proud...thank-you so much for service. From the bottom of my heart, thanks! 7 out of 10 is really good, you had some good buddies too. That's an amazing feat.

B-17G's must of been the work-horses in that war. I hope you found some exciting moments too.

Longboat Key, FL

Exciting moments -- sure. I even learned how to pray.

Interestingly -- I received the following e-mail from one of our cousins in Provence.

Pour cet anniversaire, je veux dire Merci à l'Amérique, aux Américains, à vous tous mes cousins-
Sans vous, que serions-nous devenus ? Je n'oublie pas !

Aussi - tout va bien.

Très affectueusement, Suzanne

If you are weak in French -- translation follows:

For this anniversary, I want to say thanks to America, Americans, you all my cousins​​,
Without you, we would become? I do not forget!

Also - all is well.

Very affectionately, Suzanne

Longboat Key, FL

Back here, the war still rages.

Behold -- this is Voyager 2 -- about to join his marauding friend.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Quote from flyboyFL :
Back here, the war still rages.

Lol! I've been in that kind of war...and won!

Très bien, merci pour le partage ...(very good, thanks for sharing).

As touching as the rose petals sprinkled on the Statue of Liberty was, your letter gave me goose-bumps. Its very nice they show gratitude.

Longboat Key, FL

Au partager

That is what, directed to the waiter - when my wife and I ordered a special dish - made eating in France much more comfortable.

Be well

(o_O)

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Good luck Brad,
In my experience, they reproduce faster than my one Hav-A-Hart would trap them.
Paul

Longboat Key, FL

I will be on guard.

No additional candidate today.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. North and South America (and all other Dave's Gardeners) and all the ships at sea ... let's go to press.

The beat goes on with the little varmints.

We had another visitor who took the loose peanuts but ignored the booby-trapped ones.

He (or she) was very smart but its appetite got the best of it. It obviously noticed a Contrac Blox which probably dropped out of my pocket next to the Hav-a-Hart. And, it ate most of it, leaving only some crumbs. Assuming its appetite may persist, albeit with a tummy ache, I accidentally dropped another Blox for it.

Keep posted.

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Vincero (From the opera Turandot)

Another voyager on his way.

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.