Bromeliads: for novices and serious addicts #3

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I'm moving us onto a new thread so it doesn't take as long to load, as we always have plenty of pics to show off! Mike, can you post a pic of the mystery plant again so we can carry on the guessing game?
Welcome, one and all, get your bromeliad fix here.
Pic is of a friends Vriesea 'Red Chestnut' a cultivar of V. fosteriana, I believe.
Sue
We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988866/

This message was edited Jul 2, 2009 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Sue for transporting us to the new thread! I have a pretty fast internet connection, so I don't notice the load times, but swapping at the start of the month is a good idea. The Red Chestnut looks wonderful!

Holy smoke it makes me dizzy just looking at it ...like looking into a whirlpool.
Fantastic!

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

It;s not a whirlpool, It's the TIME TUNNEL! Any one else remember that TV show?

PS: I WANT one!

tannum sands QLD, Australia

HI ALL!!!!!! lovely V red chestnut sue hope you have got your name down for a pup!! here's the mystery plant agian

Thumbnail by bromalong
barmera, Australia

Some nice Broms on e-bay at the moment but then again you Addicts might already have all of them. Did you see the line of water on e-bay. No it's not rain it was me drooling. Colleen

Hi all!!!! I was wandering whether you brom nuts are having the same problem as this brom nut ,and that is finding good books about broms I have a few books /Andrew Steens two books / a couple of Franscisco Oliva-Esteve's including his monster Bromeliads (the black book) but thats about it .does anyone have any suggestions as to titles and where to get them ??? the one I thoroughly recommend is a small soft cover of 39 pages cram full of fantastic and useful information down to earth and so easy to follow It is( Bromeliads Cultivation Notes) by Lynn Hudson for around $8, best $8 I ever spent,Lynn is the Australian director for the B.S.I. she is involved with the Cairns Bromeliad society ,her E.mail address is lynnie@ledanet.com.au
cheers picky is Neo Cliff Siverd

Thumbnail by bromalong
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Just another guess of the mystery brom is it Alcantarea Imperialis?

Alstonville, Australia

Hi Sue, this is a Brom I inherited with the rental. I know you can name it for me.
Beaut weather here in Ballina, move to Alstonville 17th.
You are probably wondering why I am on so early, hubby in hospital, pains in the gut, staying in for blood tests. Gallbladder was mentioned!! know more in the morning.
Take care, talk soon.
Hel

Thumbnail by hel
barmera, Australia

hel I hope that hubby will be okay. Colleen

se qld, Australia

Hel, check out Canistropsis bilbergioides for an id.

Pam

townsville, Australia

Sue thanks heaps for id, that is it.
Shell

Wow hel hope your hubby is ok ...gallbladder is keyhole op these days if worse comes to worse ...not like the old days ...my DIL has a huge long scar from the early 80's. Hopefully he does not need an op. Bad virus goes around at this time of the year that cause awful tummy pain ...aches around the ribs, kidneys etc ...it passes in a few days after scaring folk silly. Best wishes.

se qld, Australia

Sue (or anyone else who knows) how would you tell if a suspected Red Chestnut actually was, any tips?

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone. I have received my Hallelujah. It a lovely pup about 12" tall. He even puts some tips in there for me. will post a pic after. Colleen

se qld, Australia

12" is not a bad size. It sounds like you did well Colleen.

Alstonville, Australia

Thank's everyone I doubled up on my pic, I think Sue said the same as you Pam.
Hubby OK, has to watch his liver!!!! no wine tonight!!!!

Hel

Thumbnail by hel
se qld, Australia

The book that Bromalong suggests is very good. I was fortunate enough when I was in Cairns last year to visit Lyn's garden. My aunt had a copy of the book and it contains some very useful and practical information.

(scroll back up to 6.19am)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

So Mike, were any of my previous guesses close? Neomea? Parcel arrived today! Holy smokes! Big plants and didn't they hit you with postage? I definitely owe you one or two. Thanks ever so much. They'll have a good home here.
Books? I have the two Andrew Steens also, and one called 'The Book of Bromeliads and Hawaiian Tropical Flowers' by Ronald Parkhurst. Its more of a picture book, and has a number of spelling errors and quite basic info, more suited to an absolute novice, BUT, it has gorgeous foliage Vriesea pictures! Another is 'Bromeliads for modern living' which I bought on Ebay for 99 cents with 4 other books. It is from the 70's and not much has changed! All the broms look like they are grown in low light, as they are all dark green and long, strappy leaves. Last is 'Bromeliads for Home, Garden and Greenhouse' by Werner Rauh. I haven't had a chance to get into it, but it looks to be very botanically involved and I suspect you would like it. Theres not too many commonly available. Have you tried the library? I'll have to see if I can read a copy of Lynns book.
Hel, no wine? Thats the pits! Tell hubby we hope he feels better soon.
Pam, apparently 'Red Chestnut' is a cultivar of V. fosteriana, and thats about as much as I know! I have one, but it is much lighter than my friends one pictured. I'll take a snap tomorrow. I think there is alot of debate about it though.
Colleen, congratulations on your Billbergia 'Halelujah'. Have you got a good spot for it? I'm trying mine in a bit brighter light than previously, as I want it to go a bit redder/pinker.
Well all, I've stabbed myself in the thigh with a date palm spike and can hardly walk, so now I'm hobbling off to have a shower and a lie down. I love this thread
Sue

se qld, Australia

Do you think if I posted a pic of mine you'd be able to tell if it is Red Chestnut Sue? And is your tetanus immunisation up to date?

Just a note on postage - making packages anything other than square or rectangular means that the post office can only charge on weight alone. Cubing can be a real killer. Satchels or tubes or padded bags go on weight alone.

I don't know why they're trialing them in Qld only but there is a 5 kg express satchel that costs around $15. It's a good size for broms and would hold a fair few if they're well packed, I'd say.

This is not my garden, but they sure had some lovely plants

Thumbnail by gardengal
Brisbane, Australia

Evening all,
I've just got home from my brithday dinner @a French restaurant with hubby - very nice - even had champagne!
Sue I had a scan on my thumb yesterday, to find a 3mm piece of a dwarf date palm spike that's stuck in there. I've got a nasty little sore bump, which I thought was just a reaction to me getting the prickle out of the inital wound. But there's still a bit about 5mm down!. I'll need a little bit of surgery to get it out. It's amazing what the ultra sound can see. I hope you don't having anything remaining in your leg!
Bromalong that Neo Cliff Siverd is beautiful. I'm still awed by your garden pics. I'll be interested in the answer to your mystery plant. Did you grow it from seed yourself?
Colleen sounds like you've scored well with your Hallelujah - the flowers are well worth waiting for!
I checked out the garden shop this morning but nothing new & still the generic tags! My hubby didn't get me anything for my birthday - so I think I'm entitled to buy something nice at the next BSQ meeting!

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Leisa
Happy Birthday to yyyoooouuu. *singing*

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Happy birthday Leisa, how come I didn't see it listed? I hope it was all you hoped for? I hope you find something nice at the BSQ meeting.
The leg is a little better, no redness, just a very bruised feeling and sharp pain if the muscle is tensed. I will keep an eye on it though, but I did check the spike after I walked into it, and it was still intact, so no bit broken off (me thinks) Thanks for your concern though. Hubby has no sympathy at all.
Pam, post a pic of your 'Red Chestnut' any way, surely they can't look too different. Here is mine. As you can see, its much lighter than my friends, but then again, it was sold as the "lighter form". Who's garden did you take the pics in? I can't wait to have broms as big as that!
Mike, intergeneric means in the one genus? I was thinking bigeneric. Did you not say it wasn't an Aechmea? I'm a bit confused. Could be A. 'Jesus christ superstar'? Or A. 'Flamingo' or another of the A. chantinii x ramosa seedlings?
Heres my new babies all potteds and resting
Top left, A 'Rodco x Rodco' seedling, A 'Rodco', A 'Alvarez'

Below left A 'Mend' and A lueddemanniana. (species)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hi brom nuts !!!! gardengal thanks for the tips on postage I think when next I post a plant I'll ship in a star shaped box or something as for your Vriesea fosteriana (Red Chestnut ) the only true way to tell is when the plant flowers {"the jury is still out as to wether red chest nut is just a form of fosteriana or a cultivar " if its a form then the flowers would be the same as fosteriana !!!!!! }confusing ?? I think if it walks like a duck and quacks then there's every chance that it is.That very good advice you gave about tetanus and thorns . Happy birthday Leisa the mystery plant is one I got at a garage sale for $5 took me about two years to find out what it is and only after it flowered, I'm posting a picky of the plant in flower as a clue the plant in the photo was growen in low light and does not show the striking pink and silver bands.Sue I hope the plants arrived in sound condition, the thorns on date palms are vicious thats why I pruned most of ours to below ground level 'the book by Werner Rauh sounds good I'll look for it on the net. cheers

Thumbnail by bromalong
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Marleneann & Sue for the birthday wishes. I got 2 lovely bunches of flowers. One with tiger lillies - I love their perfume!
There's definitely some tricks re posting parcels, but at least you can calculate it before hand: http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/aus_parcel.asp It saves any nasty surprises at the post office!
Sue, the pink, white & green pups at the bottom of your pic, is that Ae. Mend - it's very pretty!
I've been out this afternoon in the wind looking for pups that will be ready for separating, once the weather gets warm. I can just about start updating my available for swap list! Lots of neos popping up.
I'm waiting for this Billbergia to open up. I'm sure it won't flower for long, so I'd better not blink!

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

Bromalong, the flower reminds me of the Alcanterea glaziouana flower pics on http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm ie they're silvery & pink, but I'm certain it's not right! What a bargain for $5!! Mystery plants are great especially when they're cheap!
Re Werner Rauh, my husband & I have just booked a trip to Germany for August & the Botanic Gardens attached to Heidelberg Uni where Rauh worked are on my must see list!! Hopefully they'll have an impressive brom collection - no doubt all in green houses! I'll take plenty of pics if it's good! I'm really looking forward to it.

Hi Sue sorry to confuse you, my understanding of intergeneric is a plant produced by cross pollination from different genera. the mystery plant is a cross between a Aechmea and Hohenbergia thats a big clue. glad to hear you are feeling better (I had typed my last posting before you had sent yours but posted mine after yours even more confusion) your plants look good Cheers

Is it 'Betsy McCrory'?

barmera, Australia

A pic of my new Bilbergia Halalujah. He's in a 6" pot so you can see how big he is. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Doh! Meant to post a pic of my Red Chestnut and then forgot and put the Aechmeas on! Jeesh!
Hi Mike, yes, my post answered your question about the plants I guess, and I understand about posting before and answering after. Sometimes it takes me an hour to compose a post before actually submitting it, (what with making a cup of tea or hubbys dinner or researching the net, e.t.c)
Yes, thats the first time I've copped a thorn of the larger date palms. i've stabbed myself a couple of times on the dwarf ones, and they're not so bad, but I'm still limpng about today! Its ridiculous how long its taking to stop hurting. Its not red, and has no heat in it, and the swelling is going down, so all will be well I'm sure! I was pruning the dead fronds off and piling them on a trailer, and walked into one that was hanging off the side of said trailer. Totally my own fault! I think I learned my lesson!
I started reading that Werner Rauh book, and realised I have used it for seed sowing e.t.c. It has alot of information on Tillandsias if anyone is into that field. Leisa, you're trip over sounds like it will be great! Lucky duck! Yes, that is mends pups in the bottom of the pic. She already had 2, which I removed, then grew these next 4, and they have much better colouring than the first 2! Poor old mama hasn't got a whole lotta life left in her, but she's coping. Best post this before I lose it and start a new post

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Forgot the pic again. *sigh*
Colleen your Billy looks great! I love foliage plants better than flowering ones I think! It is a good size, what a bargain.
I went to the markets this morning and picked up a Vriesea hieroglyphica for $25. It was there last month, and I didn't buy it for lack of money and thought I'd leave it for some other bargain hunter, but as it was still there waiting for me today, well i had to bring it home! I put it in a huge pot and into the garden where it can grow to its hearts content. Its quite a large plant, not much smaller than the one I've had for a couple of years, which I paid $10 for (it was quite a bit smaller then), also a bargain.
I guess I should go feed the man! I hate cooking!
Sue
my Red Chestnut

This message was edited Jul 5, 2009 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Nice Red Chestnut Sue.

Colleen...you must be happy with your purchase.

Must go have my sister visiting from Brisbane.

barmera, Australia

Yes everyone I'm very happy with the B. he was so prompt and even put alittle note in the box with some tips as well. Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

Colleen your Hallelujah is a nice buy - they are so different with their (mission?) brown leaves & then the bright flower is a real contrast. The broms you sent me are doing well. They'll be ready to "take off" once the warm weather comes. Here's a pic of my "nursery area", where I've got them. I don't have a green/shade house, but this is my protected spot between some palms & behind my gardens bench, wgere they get some sun .

Thumbnail by LeisaD

Hi brom nuts, ten out of ten Marleneann !! one up for Queensland he he must be your turn to post a mystery brom!!!!!!!! have been playing around with growing broms from seeds for just a little while so I'll post a picky of a com. pot of Neo kautskyi

Thumbnail by bromalong
townsville, Australia

Good morning all, I do not like this site my must have list is getting longer by the day lol.
Here is another mystery plant from my next door neighbours mum, can any one help please there are 2 different ones in the pot, sorry I am a pain I know.
there will be more once they flower, Jan gave me about 10 when her mum passed away last year.
have a great day
shell

Thumbnail by shelly61
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Shelly, we don't mind at all! The pink flowering one is Aechmea recurvata Var. benrathii, but I'm not sure about the one to the right, at the back? Feel free to ask away. It makes me feel smart if i know the answer! tee hee.
Mike, I looked at the Hohenmeas, but was fooled by the grey colouring. I've been looking for the pink of your plant. Nevermind, well done marlene!
I've got a batch of Neo. kautskyi going too, but they don't look extremely happy to me. Could be that is getting a bit on the cool side?

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Also, there is these little flies that are always hanging about. Do you know what these could be, and are they a bad thing? If so, how do I get rid of them?

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

These are Alcantarea glazouiana. Apparently they grow like a weed, and I've got at least 100! I think a fenceline of them will look a treat! Mmmm, those back ones are looking a bit dry, time to mist!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Here is my lovely new B. hallelujah. Looks really good among the others. I always put a small stake in to hold the bigger ones up until they settle in.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.