2009 Lily Blooms #7

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a sweet short lily
Tiny Yellow Kiss,I bot it for the name.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm really loving the Fellner seedlings. He really has an eye for the lilies.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

You see where Moby planted her royal sunset in place of the Eudoxia she took; right beside it is the fern peony which sets out bunches of little starts like in her picture; I'd keep it and see what it turns into; it's not fennel because I have never grown that. Let us know next year, Moby. I still think it is a fern peony start.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

The only other thing in there is a sedum ground cover and I know it's not that.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A ferny ~ how exciting! It does look like fennel but it's sure the same bluish color as the peony. Guess time will tell. :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Crushing a few of the leaves would tell you if it's fennel but it's not something you'd want to do to a fern peony!

Of course, you could bend way down and sniff it - let's hope no one has the digital camera while you do that!

I have several places where the fern peonies have sent new shoots up around my lilies so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, love those Fellner seedlings! Wonder if we'll be able to get those again.
Pard, nice seedling you have there, too.
Lol, yes, I"d forgotten that pot was sitting right in front there! There's always something to put in somewhere, and if there isn't, I always end up wanting to move something around... Wish I had only 5 pots needing planting,lol!
It's been fun playing with the cottage garden look. I finally figured out that's what looks best with my house, but it's a learning curve to get the softness and fullness balanced proportionately without feeling too chaotic. I'm not sure I'm there yet, but thanks for the nice compliments, it's good to hear that I'm on the right track. Luckily, this bed is in the back where no one else has to see it-perfect place for experimenting!
I think it's the undertones of orange and burgundy-or pink and orange, really, that are challenging to me, cool vs warmer, dark vs lighter. The right combinations can work together, and the wrong ones, well.....

Tiny yellow kiss is a cute name :)

Happy 4th everyone!

And it is a "double double" dark dark red; you'll love it.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

the fern peony is a double double dark red? Wow, sounds pretty!

It is. For some reason, they really like where they are growing. WandasFlowers told me they are hard to get them to put up new shoots but evidently mine are happy where they are. I have so many new ones each year that I have been able to bring them as door prizes to the Iowa R-U 4 years in a row.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sorry to but in but I was going over my lily pix and realize the double salmonyorange one somebody asked about, is not First Crown, even tho thats what I ordered.
First Crown is a single.

You're not butting in; this discussion is supposed to be about lilies; thanks for putting us back on track.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

GE, well, your "not first crown" is still very pretty! Losing its name doesn't change that! :)

Nice door prize! Lucky IA RU folks! :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I try to keep info accurate. I dont care if its not FirstC and now will investigate other double s

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Some of my Fred Fellner seedlings. I find these exceptionally nice. :)

And for the record, true Fern Leaf peonies will spread like Arlene's does if they like where they are.

Moby and Arlene, why don't you take this discussion over to Peonies. There is a guy there that is our resident expert on Fernies...

Now, my Fred Fellner seedling.

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Pink Tiger.. :) It's Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh, you are so bad..... ;)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

This was supposed to be Nettie's Pride, but I think we decided last year that it's more of a Nettie's Imposter. It's still nice.

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Heh, heh, I knew I could reel in one fish with that line. :) And I did figure it would be you! LOL

Stunning, simply Stunning. :)

This message was edited Jul 4, 2009 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Cecil, and no not the Sea Serpent. :)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Dazzle...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Spank..

Thumbnail by Ticker
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have spent too much time on the lily forum.
I will be ripping out a huge (inherited hosta) to make room for more lilies.
I am not very knowlegable so I have to ask about Fred Fellner.
Maybe not his life story but is he a hybridizer?
grower(with sales)?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Another look at the seedling Sue aka Lilyfan gave me at the '07 IARU. I really think it's very very nice. :)

Thumbnail by Ticker
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

So nice! Love that Fellner seedling. I'm still curious to know, from my color range of bulbs, just what color of bulb went with each lily. Of those seedlings, I tell you, I had some of the prettiest bulbs I have ever seen. They were pink, lavender, white. The set was striking. Before that, I had only noted bulb size. And on that note, some smaller asiatic bulbs were the same ones that put up two stems. So it really is true, what is large for one type of lily, may not be for another, even among asiatics.

Learn something new all the time ;)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Circus Crowd...

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah, Sue tells me that the seedling I have is really not one of hers. She identified it for me. It's Lilian. Ha! No wonder I really liked it, I have a couple more elsewhere in the gardens. Of course, this means that Sue owes me a seedling of hers now. :) LOL (Like the sneaky way I'm trying to get a seedling out of Sue? :) ) LOL

Ahem, Lilian from Sue!!

Thumbnail by Ticker
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I like Lilian's pale coloring. VEry nice. Here's American Spirit.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Some lilies I though died in a late freeze a few Springs back are reappearing. I think this is Royal Perfume.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

very nice.

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

We just had 5 inches of rain overnight, everything is a soggy mess, but I did have some pictures taken before the rain came.

Chocolate Soldier

Thumbnail by llilyfan
(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is Tropical Breeze, this one suprised me, I wasn't expecting the pink tones

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is Plum Peach and Phygelius Moonraker...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Anru...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Orange Asiatic seedling...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Yellow Asiatic seedling...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Purchased as "Harlequin Hybrid" from M-Z Bulb...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Pink Panther and lost label Phygelius...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Seedling...

Thumbnail by pardalinum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.