Gardenias, anyone???

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI - Betty's Azalea Ranch (12507 Lee Hwy. Fairfax VA) has NICE sized 'Frostproof' gardenias in 1 gal pots for only $9.99 - then could easily be potted up that's how big they are. 'Frostproof' is hardy to our area, btw http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?item_number=4409 .
Also, although tender, have 'First Love' aka Aimee 1 gal size for $12.99....I've heard amazing things about the scent on this one... http://www.monrovia.com/learn/plant_catalog/detail.php?item_number=3767

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the heads up - I'm off this week, so I may just take a ride down there. I bought my first hardy gardenia at Lowes last week - it is a dwarf variety called 'Radicans', and the scent is terrific. It was $16.98, so those at Betty's will be a bargain :-) Terri

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri - that 'Radicans' must have been 3 gal size then??? Only asking b/c in the past HD/Lowes both carried those, 'Daisy,' and "August Beauty' 1 gal size for around the $6 - $7 range. 'Radicans' won't stay alive for me...so if you keep that baby going please let me know the lighting she likes etc. ^_^

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Chantell - step away from the NOT hardy Gardenias....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

It's kinda a love/hate relationship...I love them...they hate me and die. I'm determined to figure out what I do wrong though...

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

We had one that survived the torture by neglect in the lobby of a nursing home for about ten years. My wife grabbed it out of the dumpster. We never repotted it and were able to keep it living on various teas for another ten years. It bloomed very nicely after two years in our care.
When it desided to die somewhere in the twenty year range it's mind was made up. We could do nothing but toss it after a few months of experimenting to possibly save it.

All of these plants in the big box stores including Lowe's in this area advertise nice plants in gallon pots. When I look at them they are not nice plants. They are five to seven rooted cuttings in a pot pushed by the growers into some kind of greenhouse early bloom for the mass and unaware shoppers. I have not seen a single offering of a single plant on a single growing stem.

I wrote to Wayside Gardens and ask the blunt question about their gallon pots. They did not respond.

I am willing to pay a premium for a nice gardenia plant that is a true single stem plant. Does anyone know where such a plant exists for sale?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Doc, we bought the "Gardenia tree's" at HD and I have seen them at places like Ikea as well :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Which reminds me - I do need to look at the trunk to see if I see "signs" of grafting...meant to do that before.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

They are grafted...already checked :)

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

O.K. Chantell, this old lady needs to know how I can tell if my Gardenia Tree is grafted.
About every four or five inches there are marks on the trunk, but how could they just put sticks together? WAAAAAAA! I want to do that. I hope my SIL soon gets finished working. He knows how to graft trees, but gardenias, I don't know.

I have about four little ones started and I would love to know how to make trees out of them. I know I am far from that, but they are just the most wonderful plant I have ever had.
I cut them for the house and they last for days and days. Even when I cut them when they start to brown, the fragrance lingers until they are all brown.

Hey doc, I hail from Lancaster Co. Pa prior to NJ. I could never grow gardenias in PA. Here I am doing so much better, thanks to this group. Here is a pic of my Gardenia Tree.
Most of you have already seen it. It was purchased at an Acme. You have Acmes in PA Good Luck.
Only problem, they do not have a name on their plants. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

JB - there'd be a mark outside of the ones you see where the green ties are holding the tree to the stakes. I've not tried grafting myself...but they say it's pretty easy.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I will check on that.
BTW, I saw on Proflowers.com they have a Gardenia Topiary that looks somewhat like our trees. Check it out and see what you think. Doc may also want to check out the Gardenia Taitensis....I have one I have had since it was small and it is growing very much like a tree. The leaves are beautiful and the blooms are different from the normal gardenia, but the fragrance is there. Do you have one? Mine almost died this year. I put it out too soon and it was so sad. I then put it in the direct sun and when it got warm and got all that sun, it just flurished and now it looks really good. Another few weeks it should be back to normal. JB

I only had one. It died............absolutely and all final for sure. It was about twenty years old. I still have not located a single stem or trunk plant in our area.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll have to travel to locate one. All we have is Lowe's and the independant greenhouses or nuseries. None huge as normally found near the large cities.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Doc - if you want me to pick you up one next year when they hit all the stores - I'm happy to do so (if we're having a get together soon there after, I am THE gardenia killer, after all) LOL

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Doc where are you located in Central PA? I know what it is like being in the country. I have to have all my things shipped in unless my daughter shops and finds something she wants to surprise me with. I have no choice but to pay the dad blasted shipping.
I hope you find what you want, and if Chantell can find you one, great! But, you should get a written health certificate from her if she keeps it for any length of time. According to her, she can kill them.....actually, killing gardenias is the easiest thing any of us can do. As much as I love them, they are so fragile in some instances. I had one die overnight.
Beat that Chantell!!!!!:( JB

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL JB - you "win" on THAT one!!! Mine (if brought inside) die a slow agonizing death - it's pitiful seriously. Thinking maybe lack of humidity indoors is the culprit. Might try the ole rocks in a saucer with water beneath this winter...

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am having a rip fit about what to do with my TREE over the winter. I would love to have it in the house, but the shower is too small for IT and ME both. That would be the only place it will be happy. That plant wants a drink everyday. I mean alot of water. Oh well, here is a pic of my 'fortuniana' still blooming. In fact I have two of them in the birds room and they seem really happy. Full of blooms and buds, the other day I noticed two buds fell off the one and I gave it another drink. It stopped anymore of them falling. I have never seen anything like it. I would think overwatering these is impossible, but if it can be done, I am sure I will do it. ................sigh..............

Thumbnail by JBerger

I would not call the specific area I live in country but it definately is not urban in nature. We are less than five hours from many major cities in the Northeast. ....including a few fine Canadian cities. One hour North of my home we have a hunting cabin in the mountains. From that cabin it is a mile as the crow flies to the nearest recreational cabin and five miles to an occupied home. That is sparcely populated. More bears than people occupy that area.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Doc, I think you made your point. I was born and raised in the Lancaster County Amish Coountry. JB

By 1946 my dad was dragging me along to Lancaster County to hunt pheasants. Not now! Is there any place in Lancaster where one can find a bird or even shoot if one did?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.