Jack in the Beanstalk?? NOID vine - please help ID

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Or should it read the vines that ate Stafford?

Ok...between work...being gone and week and all this rain...a couple of vines that weren't marked have about taken over the lattice in the back. I swore I would grow no "thug" vines this year (except the passis) and keep the cypress vine in check (read yank up all but a few)....yet LOOK at these 2 vines!!! Ugh! Thought I'd try "here" first for an ID - then scoot over to the ID forum if ya'll didn't know.
Here's monster vine #1

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The manic vine from a distance

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My hand beside the leaf for size reference

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Meet #2 aka "Minnie Meee"

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hand for comparison, again....no comments about the cruddy nails..."sometimes" I don't plan on digging - so don't have gloves on....so nasty....ugh

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow - looks like a MG on steroids ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG....please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MG's...I didn't take pics of those little buggers cuz I knew what they were as I was yanking them up!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Don't know what to tell ya ^_^ but, it's a really nice and healthy sized vine...(minus the bug chews on the leaves)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Rather the buggies eat that then my tropicals on the deck...nasty beetles...found one last night grrrrrrr

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's probably bindweed. They get pretty lush. If it is, get it out of there or it will sow all over the place and you'll be pulling it up for the rest of your life.

http://bean-sprouts.blogspot.com/2007/09/weed-of-week-bindweed.html

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Are you sure it's not the vines I gave you? Runner beans?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Monster 1 the huge leaves make me think of moonflower vines. Any chance you planted that or got from a friend?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

ME! Along with the Red Runner Bean

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't plant the runner bean out there...wondering if a seed pod "migrated" from the other side of the yard last year - from the one I had growing out there...???? Moonvine is out front not in back yard so I'm safe knowing it's not that. I'd be ecstatic if I could get a huge moon vine going....even the one out from has remained small - but it's at least still alive...LOL I may just yank these up before they smother everything around them...ugh
Hart you may be correct re the bindweed...I'm going to post over on ID forum just in case but will more then likely eradicating it this weekend.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

No blooms on it, hidden under the leaves maybe? Bindweed has small white morning glory type blooms. If you see any of those, you'll know that's what it is.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I will certainly look...may even pull it up tonight...it's choking the life out of surrounding plants and I'm getting a bit "annoyed" with it

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

If it's choking out other plants it is definitely time to pull it out

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amen...last year I waited too long on a few of the vines and then UGHHHHH...trying to avoid that mess this year - as I have vines I'd like to actually enjoy

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I saw a few bindweed in bloom today, whereas moonvine will bloom later. Course, you couldn't confuse the two blooms LOL. I love moonvine but haven't made room for it this year. Oh Bec, my morning glories from you are growing great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.