Dang ground squirrels are digging up my bulbs!!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6a)

I went out to check my front flower bed this morning and found that the local ground squirrel (no longer nicknamed Sammy, now referred to as Satan) had been digging up my bulbs. I have one of those battery operated mole chaser things from Lowes in the bed already. It went in last Fall after we planted 350 bulbs in that bed. This is the first pilfering I've seen. Any suggestions (other than renting a squirrel dog) on how to get rid of the dang thing or things? Thanks

Marilyn

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Not too sure what you are calling ground squirrels. Here they might be the same as our moles??? I plant caster beans (very poisonous, but then what isn't) and they don't like those so they go elsewhere. This after I put down chicken wire and newspapers over the entire bed. That didn't stop them so I got some Mole Away or whatever they call it from Garden's Alive and I broadcast that stuff across my entire bed and never saw them again all summer.

I looked at the ingredients and there it was: Like hardly any caster bean oil and the rest was all inert ingredients.

Then someone asked me why I didn't just plant the beans so I did and that has worked so far. 3 years.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6a)

Ground squirrels here are brownish with skinny tails. We don't have many tree squirrels here, I can only remember seeing one. Our ground squirrels seem to be the California ground squirrel. I'll look into the Mole Away, it's worth a try. Thanks

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I tried Mole Away on my gophers and it didn't phase them. I know what ground squirrels are but our robbers are pocket gophers. Devilish little things that burrow underground. I don't want to grow castor beans in my veggie beds. I want to grow vegetables there.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6a)

Nasty nasty gophers! I remeber those from living in California. My mom has to plant her roses (and about everything else) in pots because of them. I'll take dang ground squirrels any day.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well I had a Rudbeckia go down into the ground like it was water. That little devil must have had a good tunnel because it was the whole plant.

Since I have done so much work to not have them, my plants have really begun to grow.

Jeanette

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey myezek, if you want to trap them Benson's Feed on Hwy 50 near Lompa has some nice traps or we have an old one you could borrow. Watch out for fleas when you catch one, they're usually covered. My MIL in Dayton has to completely enclose her tomatoes in chicken wire, top and bottom too, because the rotten squirrels will eat all of the tomatoes otherwise. DH prefers the air rifle method because it's quick and quiet

Carson City, NV(Zone 6a)

Katlian, you're not going to believe this but since my post they've left my bulbs alone. Do you think they're members of DG? Psychic squirrels?

Marilyn

PS Thanks for the info about Bensons. Before the demise of the Great Labrador (squirrel chaser extraordinnaire) we used to buy her food and treats there.

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Psychic Squirrels!

Lord have mercy! LOL!

It must be Secret Squirrel & Morroco Mole.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Check out the Bad Manors Squirrel Diner:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/Bad-Manors-Squirrel-Diner-LIVE

make sure to watch a few of the short video clips and then scroll down, look to the right for the slide show.

Squirrel Underpants is NTBM.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

myezek, I expect that squirrels eat things that are "in season" and that taste best to them. It isn't surprising that the bulbs are the tastiest things around at one time of year but not another.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.