Dwarf Peppercress

Nevada City, CA(Zone 8b)

I am new to this forum but recently saw Lepidium nanum growing in a very extreme location in Nevada. Does anyone cultivate this plant? thanks, carri

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I bought one this year at the local annual alpine club plant sale, so I don't have any experience of actually growing it yet to speak of.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ooh, was it on top of Diana's Punchbowl? I love that spot.

Nevada City, CA(Zone 8b)

Katilan Yes, it was on top of Diana's Punchbowl. We were not prepared for the surrealness of that spot. We didn't know it was a little blown volcanic hot spot or that the water comes from hot springs or how big it was, plus I'd never seen the Lepidium. It was pure luck that I even ID'd it but there is a picture on the Nevada Native plant page of it at the punchbowl. So anyway it seems like Lepidium needs a fairly special enviorment.
Anyone have a clue? thanks, carri

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Alplains has seeds but no growing info. I think you would need a very well drained bed ammended with lots of crushed rock, lime, and manganese. I guess that sowing directly in the ground in the fall would work the best.

It's a shame that an outlet was blasted in the the side of the dome so the water could be diverted for irrigation easier. It used to come out of the top of the mound. There are a few similar mounds scattered across the state and they always have an unusual plant community associated with them.

Nevada City, CA(Zone 8b)

Katlian I didn't realize an outlet had been made in the dome. I'm sure it looked even stranger with water spilling over the top.
Thanks for the info and I'll try the seeds. carri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.