Liner vs well rooted plant

Delaware, OH

For those of you wondering the side by side progress of the same cultivar......look at the photo. to the left is a pink fantasy from donahues, planted in may 09. to the left is a ssv pink fantasy planted 3 weeks after the donahues liner. the donahues liner was about 10$ , the ssv at normal ssv price.
when i realized i had ordered the same cultivar, i used the giant hole that the liner pink fantasy was in for both. i actually think the liner will do better planted this way, these giant holes for teeny roots are not the best. (it was my basic hole which is 18 inches deep and 12 inches around)
i really ordered a lot this year , liners and well rooted gallons and ssv roots. this shows the jump start. i imagine pink fantasy from ssv will be 4 ft and blooming within a month...i have already pinched it back several times and i am now letting it grow. the liner is in good hands in my garden, but i have not even pinched it yet.......those little roots take a while to establish and there are many risks along the way.

thought this to be an interesting comparison, especially as there has been interest in pink fantasy lately here on the forum.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

CG:

You mean the tiny thing on the left of the picture???? Oh my that looks like it will take several winters before it comes any where near the SSV clem.

Thanks for showing and proving that it is worth the extra money cause you are ahead of the game by doing so.

Janet

Parkersburg, WV

In spring of 2008 I ordered several Clems from a Mail order company, They arrived in excellent shape but were in 4 inch pots. Took the advice of a few like CG and Jeane from TX and planted in gallon containers buried in ground for the summer and keep pinched back and no blooms. I did and this year they are doing wonderfully.

It really does pay to order from ssv or such place and pay more.

Thanks cg for showing difference in plants. I have learned alot from this sight.

Tim

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, that is quite a difference. Thanks for sharing the results.

Delaware, OH

it amazed me too when i realized it was a great demonstration of the difference. the liner has been in almost a month longer. i need to sling some fertilizer on all the liners now, have gotten off track with that the last few weeks. i need to get them big enough to survive the winter as they are mostly in the ground.
by the time you fertilize, worry, pray and other wise fret, it is probably less expensive to get the ssv or brushwood or well rotted gallon from anywhere you can.
brushwood clems are nicely rooted, the selection is amazing and they a have all come along very fast. he does not prune off before shipping so you really need to but they are great plants and he runs a first class business in terms of ethics and credibility.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.