Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Liner vs well rooted plant, 1 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

Subject: Liner vs well rooted plant

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Liner vs well rooted plant
ClematisGuru wrote:
For those of you wondering the side by side progress of the same cultivar......look at the photo. to the left is a pink fantasy from donahues, planted in may 09. to the left is a ssv pink fantasy planted 3 weeks after the donahues liner. the donahues liner was about 10$ , the ssv at normal ssv price.
when i realized i had ordered the same cultivar, i used the giant hole that the liner pink fantasy was in for both. i actually think the liner will do better planted this way, these giant holes for teeny roots are not the best. (it was my basic hole which is 18 inches deep and 12 inches around)
i really ordered a lot this year , liners and well rooted gallons and ssv roots. this shows the jump start. i imagine pink fantasy from ssv will be 4 ft and blooming within a month...i have already pinched it back several times and i am now letting it grow. the liner is in good hands in my garden, but i have not even pinched it yet.......those little roots take a while to establish and there are many risks along the way.

thought this to be an interesting comparison, especially as there has been interest in pink fantasy lately here on the forum.