Amateur Hybridizers WantedMore Exactly, Their Flowers

Poland, ME

If you piddle around with the pollen and grow your seeds, and have been doing so for a while, here is an opportunity for you to a few days of fame. A good friend of mine shows lilies and goes to Chelsea Flower Show each year. By 2011 he would like to display hybrids grown by amatuers who would like to get their flowers out there to be seen. Pictures please! You would need to be able to supply four to five bulbs to be grown and shown. At this exact point in time, I don't have details but would like to see as many pretty faces as possible!

Thumbnail by Mainiac
Poland, ME

No takers yet? If this is something really nice there could be royalties down the road...

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I would love to participate; alas, no lilies from my efforts. . . . . YET!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

What a great opportunity!

But my hybridizing efforts started only last year. Of the seedlings that have come up so far, I think the most interesting might be Lilium 'Sweet Surrender' x Lilium michiganense.

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I'm in the same boat - It will be another 3 to 4 years before I see much in the way of results from my Ixia project. I hope this time round they get enough takers to keep making the opportunity available.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

My Alocasia hybrids, while numerous and at blooming-size maturity, are not grown for their blooms, but rather their tropical foliage look. So mine don't qualify . . .

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

Sanbornville, NH

I have one hybrid with many bulbs! Will have to hunt down my pictures. I pollinated the wild tiger lily with pollen from Asiatic lily "Enchantment". Got a great flower that produces bulbils on the stem, so very easy to propagate.

Sanbornville, NH

Here it is. Enchantment faces up. Tiger lily (Lilium tigrinum) faces down. My lily faces OUT. The petals curl back similar to tiger lily and it produces half as many bulbils as tiger lily.

How and who do I contact to join in on this?

Thumbnail by Andyrew
Sanbornville, NH

Here's a closeup

Thumbnail by Andyrew

Nice flower, Andy. Is that yellow blotching on the petals or just the sun hitting it strongly? Try to get a pic in the shade to better show its true colors. It looks as if the flower is waining already, due to the lengthwise "shrivel wrinkles" in the petals, especially the uppermost and lower right ones. Despite that, it seems the flower has more substance that L. lancifolium(tigrinum). Good job.

Is Enchantment a tetraploid (or triploid)? That would explain the success of your cross.

Sanbornville, NH

Thanks. Actually this picture was taken on the day that my lily flowered the first time. Those aren't "shrivel wrinkles," they are ridges that are part of the natural structure of the petals. The orange you see is the colour of the flower. The yellow is just a sunlight effect. I'll have to wait until next year for more pictures though. The plants are done flowering.

Sanbornville, NH

Oh, and "Enchantment" is a tetraploid. My cross can be selfed and produces seed but I haven't gotten any of them to grow yet. Am trying again this year.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 7:22 AM

I figured the "yellow" in the pic was due to the sun's angle. It is strange how certain lilies are just that way. It is very difficult for me to take a pic of my L. miquelianum without such an effect. Even on a cloudy day day I get that weird reflection. It has to be a really dreary day to get a good pic of my form of that species.

The "ridges" are an interesting effect. Perhaps it will "settle down" in future years, and you will be able to tell exactly what the trait is. I don't know; in the right flower it could be desireable.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

like most replies,im in the same boat,i only started last year and i dont know if any stuck............i have some unseen dr griesbach crosses,but they wont be out until nov-dec next year.............i have so many seedling boxes here,hopefully a massive show next year..........lets keep in touch,with your idea,thanks,anthony

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.