Will daughter strawberries plants root on their own?

Johnson City, TN(Zone 6b)

Yesterday I removed a number of baby strawberry plants from the mother plants in my stacker planters and since there wasn't a place for them to take root in the stackers I potted them up. They look sad this morning. I hope they will root. Has anyone had sucess in rooting these orphan rootless babies? Thanks. Devota

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

How developed were the babies? Did they have roots started?

No. They were on the trailers that hung down off the mamas. Some of them are fairly large with several leaves. Others are tiny. I did put rooting hormone in the water that I used to wet them down after I potted them up.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2009 1:09 PM

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

I have had success cutting the runners from my older strawberry plants in my garden. I decided to try puttin the runners in pots. I potted them in 16" pots (with potting soil not garden soil) that I had outside and for the first couple of hours they looked GREAT - then by nightfall they look like they had wilted and were dying. I was so disappointed as I had NO clue as to what I was doing - just going by instinct, something told me to let them be so I left them alone and it rained pretty hard over the next day or so. Lo and behold when the sun came out so did the plants. They've flowered and fruited like they were grown in the pots from day one. I rarely water them myself - I let nature take it's course. We've had a lot of rain this month and they are still doing quite well. That was late April that I did this and they are perfectly fine my back porch in partial sun.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2009 3:30 PM

Oh thank you Lovie. They do indeed look wilted but I hoped they might come around. The very tiny ones are as happy as larks in their little pots. It is the big ones that are complaining. Thanks again. I will be patient.

Greensburg, PA

Devota, You can limit the losses and help them along by putting a plastic bag over them that seals up against the pot. Put the pot in a tray and let a little water remain int he tray. This will help prevent the runner plants from drying out, which is why they wilt when disconnected from the parent plant. Ideally, this should be done immediately upon planting.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

In the future you could let them stay on Mama until you can see little roots developing. Then if you just firm them on top of moist soil they take off very quickly.

All good points and thanks all for your replies, Devota

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to show you my plants

This is my little "strawberry patch"

Thumbnail by LOVIE2
Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

This is one of the pots I posted about

Thumbnail by LOVIE2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.