How about a maypop???

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

First flower of the season,just shot out of the ground only 2 weeks ago and already flowering!!!
Is there a faster flowering vine than that????

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Is that passionflower? My mom grows a passionflower that looks like that, and while I was in Delaware visiting her last weekend, she dug up some babies for me to bring home and try. I have them in water in a sunny window to get better roots established before planting. I'm thinking of planting it by the front porch where it can gracefully vine up the wrought iron rails as a pretty welcoming specimen. She also gave me some of her baby hardy bananas and rice paper plants, which I'm excited to add to my tropical area in the back. :)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I just answered my own question reading the plantfiles. I didn't know it was called "maypop". ((duncehat))

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Don, I hope you have him/her contained! I planted one when I lived in Independence, and it came up through the cracks in the SIDEWALK!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Too late for me,but I'm glad you brought that to my attention and they will read this and put them a big plastic pot and plant pot and all in the ground,or they will be everywhere like mine are!!!!
Thanks Kay

Very nice! I was about to turn one loose on a big pine until I read this thread. I could plant a pot next to the tree though. Any negatives for that idea? They are sooooo pretty. :)

Seray, you will need to place your pot of Passiflora on a CONCRETE block and KEEP AN EYE ON IT - otherwise, it will grow out through the pot holes and SPREAD like wildfire!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Also these produce fruit,and the birds do like to eat the seeds and they will spread that way too!
Be sure you pick all the fruit pods when they turn yellow,or they will fall to the ground and spread that way also.

Teeheeee, Don - we know this stuff, huh - experience is a good teacher!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I know I'm probably biting off a lot when I say this, but with flowers so darn pretty, I think I'll be okay if it spreads all over my yard. :)

Check back in a year or so for the thread I post titled, "How do I get rid of this beautiful monster!?!?" LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yep,we learned the hard way!!!!!LOL

Thanks so much Kay and Don. I think I'll rethink the whole thing. LOL We have rampant Wisteria and grapes already to contend with. Don't need anything else however pretty.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
It's almost as bad as the wild morning glory that has lots of big leaves with little blue flowers!!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Here are pictures of the bare roots of the maypops I brought home from mom's this weekend. I've had them in water in the window since I got them home. What would be the best way to ensure they get a good start so I can plant them? Leave them in water till more root growth is apparent? Dip them in rooting hormone (and if so, please be specific, because I've never used it before, but do have some on hand)? Or just stick them in their new home and let nature take it's course? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thumbnail by jlj072174

If you have a way to keep it moist all the time, go ahead and plant it in a large pot now, place the pot on a concrete paver and it will take off. Watch it, as the roots will escape before you realize it. It's just fine to cut off any errant roots outside the pot - won't hurt the plant at all.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks much, Kay. I'll try that. I'm pretty good about getting out and watering my yard babies every day (unless we get rain) so keeping it moist won't be a problem for me.

So I guess this plant won't need rooting hormone?

No - it's a weed - and acts like one! LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

It's a flower until it grows in the wrong places!!!!LOL

It is a beautiful plant, to be sure - I'm just saying .............!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

It's not as bad as my red trumpet vine,but it runs a close second!
But my whole garden looks like a rain forest/ jungle,so it fits in really well!!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a cypress vine in a few places along my back fence. I believe it's similar to the trumpet vine, and I'll tell ya ... that stuff has a self-sowing Miracle Grow-like characteristic like no other!

I was afraid to plant the cypress vine lacking a machete LOL Here's what a red cardinal vine does to a bamboo teepee. I wish it would bloom more. The hummers do like it.

Thumbnail by
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

My sis grows that on a wood fence,well it grew over the fence down into the neighbors yard,and they ripped it out,not knowing it would pull it out of the ground on my sis's side,and she just loved that vine!!!!

I'll be happy to send her a few seeds. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL she has more and planted it in another location,thanks,this was quite a topic of conversation for a while!!!LOL
The funny thing the year before this took place the neighbor that lived in the house next door to her was the manager of the biggest greenhouse nursery in Wichita,and they were the greatest of friends,well he got a job in another city,and sold the house and these were new people,and they like the fence to look like a fence only,well thats ok when it on there side only,but you can't tell me they didn't know it wouldn't pull the plant out of the ground when you go to yanking!!!!
My sis why didn't you come talk to me and we could have cut it off the top of the fence!!!
Well they aren't talking today either!!LOL
Lets say you remember the Hatfields and McCoys!!!

LOL Those fences are a challenge sometimes that for sure. We put ours way inside the property line to avoid these issues. Not sure how they like all the cannas and bananas I planted on the other side. :) There's woods between us which is nice. The more privacy the better in my view. Being from KY I do remember the Hatfields and McCoys. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I saw the vines before they torn them down they were beautiful,and why would anyone mind looking at such beauty????
They must have know they would be gone in a couple months anyway as was fall coming on then winter!!!!
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!
Sad thing when we all can't enjoy the same things that bring beauty into the world!!!

Life is so precious that's for sure. There's so much that is missed just by not paying attention. If they'd seen a hummingbird on those vines early am you wonder if they still would've torn it down. I guess 'the fence' could be a thing of beauty to some. Dead wood has never held my interest too long. LOL Except to cover it with orchids. :)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I only wish I could keep a orchid long enough to put on a fence!!!LOL
Somebody keeps killing them!!!LOL

You know sometimes they just kill themselves. LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats my story and I'm sticking too it!!!!!!LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

TM - I have volunteers I'd be happy to mail your sis if you/she'd like.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

If I see her I'll ask her,she's a spring gardener,when summer hits she does nothing in the garden,but water,can't stand the heat!
Thanks for the offer!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh I hear that!! Believe me...pains me to go out there at times...LOL

Mount Airy, GA

Hello, new here.. I have one just this summer that just started growing up the side of my house. We didn't plant it or anything. Looks just like the picture OP posted. Now it looks like it has two huge green seed pods or something growing on the vine. Does anyone know if hummingbirds like the nectar or not? Thanks.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not sure about the hummers, Nega...but the bumbles love them!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell

This little guy's been busy. Nice photo Chantell!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh, thank you....yeah, he's just covered, isn't he??? They always are...and completely oblivious to someone snapping pics...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love seeing the pollen all over the bee.

Mount Airy, GA

Great picture, Chantell! Yes, that looks just like the one that started growing up the side of my house. So pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.