It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 4

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
Did you have a mind to drive 70?

Sharon: I'll never tell!! LOL (although I have been accused of having a lead foot!)

DGS Zachary and I are going to take in a movie this afternoon: "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian". We debated between that and "Up". We'll probably go see "Up" later in the week.

Still hot but not as hot as yesterday. Our high is forecast to be 92ºF today which is several degrees cooler!

By the way, Arkansas is one of the largest rice-producing states in the US. We export a large percentage of the rice grown here to oriental countries. When the rice matures around October, it turns a nice wheat color. That's when it's time to harvest it! Here's one more pic and this will conclude my "tour" of the Arkansas Delta. :o))

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Very interesting Mau :-)

Here's another photo from last night .... the Presidential residence, Bessastaðir ... I've posted so many photos where it can be seen in the distance, thought I'd take one where you can have a closer look, since I was driving by ;-) lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I could live there LOL!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

There was a farm that was in my family for probably 120 years. It was sold in the 1980s, I think. (No one in the family was interested in farming or had the money to buy an extra piece of property and I was too young to care.) As far as I know, it is still one complete piece of property, though the house burned down.

Nice sky pictures, Adina. It sounds like your area is going through what this area went through about 60 years ago. A hundred years ago, this area was all huge cattle ranches and a vast wheat farm (40,000 acres!). After the aqueduct was built, they were sold off and divided into smaller farms, usually of 5 to 10 acres and people grew stuff like lima beans, sugar beets, barley, and walnuts. Then in the early 1950s, the farms were sold off rapidly and divided into the suburban lots that they are now. Once in a while, you still come upon an odd piece of ground still being used for farming or keeping horses or is just a vacant lot. When we first moved here, there was a small farm about 2 miles from here, but it's gone now - about 8 to 10 houses in there now. A few miles from here, there are a couple of old houses from circa 100 years ago. They have larger yards than the modern houses and it's my guess that they were once part of farms that took up the whole block. Where I used to work they said used to be strawberry fields.

It's going to be beastly hot today. It's a good day to stay inside and watch baseball.
Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on June 28, 2009
82 °F
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 55 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.90 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

If I posted this before, sorry. The red ones come back every year. The others I just bought a few weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Next time I'm at the nursery, I think I'll get more.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Ohh Kelli I don't have any red MR's - yet. Maybe I'll get some next year!

Now
Through 345 PM...thunderstorms continue on the Northside of Jacksonville and heavy rainfall and lightning should be expected with these thunderstorms as they move into Amelia Island...Black Hammock Island and Arlington. The thunderstorms are moving southwest at 15 to 20 miles an hour.

The temps has droppe 7* in the last 30 minutes. It's still hot, but we're below 90!
89.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy

Goodness - it hasn't been this cool during the day in - well a long time LOL!!

83.5 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 67 °F
Wind: 7.0 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4500 ft
Overcast 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

I may have to go outside for a little bit :)

It's dark outside!
Now
Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect until 9pm... through 450 PM...thunderstorms continue to move into western Nassau County and will affect Callahan...Bryceville and the Airport area on the Northside of Jacksonville. Heavy rainfall and lightning should be expected with the thunderstorms as they move southeast at 20 miles an hour.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2009 4:44 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Blow some of that rain over my way, Sharon! 83ºF sounds mighty cool to me! LOL

Kelli: love the MR--that variegated version is pretty, too. I saw a lovely pink and white variegated phlox on the website of one of the internet nurseries yesterday. I thought about ordering one until I saw the price--It was a mere 18.98 per plant!

I'm trying Mau!

79.2 °F ------ huh????? This is awesome LOL!
Overcast
Humidity: 62%

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Kelli, I've heard on our field used to be eggplants all over. The peasants here had their own field , but they sold them for money. I can see only a few lots which are still cultivated, especially with sunflower. I have to make a trip and take some pics when they are in full bloom...the dogs will love it! Your portulacas are so pretty!
Sharon, yours too!
Mau, great pics, thanks for the tour!
Rann, what are you doing up at 3 a.m.? The sunrise is amasing!
Ric, what a tragedy for those people! The storm we had on Saturday was so powerful that a lightning hit one of the tallest building in Bucharest downtown and it burned all night. The firemen fought so hard ...it was live on TV. It happened at 11 p.m. and I stayed until 2 a.m to watch and the fire was still on, the building was burning like a torch.
I'm sending this link wher you can see some pics of the fire :

http://www.hotnews.ro/hotreporter-2009-06-5865782-incendiu-armeneasca.htm

It's raining again, started at 9 p.m and it's 12 a.m. and hasn't stopped yet...ugh! Lots of Ts and Ls again, but no pics!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

A video of the fire :

http://videonews.ro/action/viewvideo/17794/Incendiu-Armeneasca/

Adina - I hope no one was harmed in the fire. What are you doing up at 12:30am? LOL! I'd be fast asleep. Your baskets are pretty!

I hear thunder...

Now
Through 615 PM...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move south of the Georgia border with the heaviest thunderstorms moving into the Westside of Jacksonville...Jasper and northern Baker County. The thunderstorms are moving southeast at 20 miles an hour. Lightning and heavy rainfall should be expected with the thunderstorms.

78.4 °F
Thunderstorm

The temps keep dropping. If it gets much cooler I'll start getting concerned about tornadoes.

My "red" portulacas aren't true red. It's more of an orange red.

That's amazing about the building. You wouldn't think there would be enough wood in a modern building to start a fire, though I guees there must be more to them than steel and plaster board. The hook and ladder (type of fire truck that can reach heights) is amazing, too.

100F here at the house. There are probably a million people at the beach. (I don't know if that is an exageration or not.)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 28, 2009
99 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

A hard core beach friend of mine said today that it's too hot to go to the beach. I have marked this on the calendar. Next year she will deny saying those words LOL!

Here it is probably almost never too hot at the beach. Right now it is 67F at the beach that we usually go to (one of the beaches of Malibu). The ocean is always cold so it keeps the air cooler right at the beach. You don't have to go very far inland before it gets hot again.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice and cool today!! We had a great breeze and I spent most of the afternoon outside planting. I dug up some daffies and replanted only a few of each clump. I had almost a full plastic bag. A friend of mine is taking them off my hands.

Here is one of my Rudibeckias. 'Maya'

Thumbnail by pepper23
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

At 7:56 pm, it's still 96° here. I'm ready to go to either beach, Sharon and Kelli! LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper that's an interesting Rudi.

Pretty Geraniums Adina!
They had some damage here but there was no one hurt.
It was lightning as you can see the burn marks on the trees.
In a few weeks, except for the missing trees, no one will even know.....
Incredible Fire over there!
I hope everyone got out OK?

I can definitely vouch for the cool beaches in CA.
On the East coast the temps are almost always higher on the sand.
Out in Malibu as we went down from the cliffs it was like driving into a deep valley here.
From San Fran north it gets hotter the closer to the water you get.
But 18% Humidity? That's Death Valley dry!

Rann it's been Cool seeing the Sunset/Sunrise shots and video.
Just think in 6 months you can shoot the whole day in an hour.....lol!

Mau stay Cool!
Nice Geography lesson.
I've not seen much of the Delta there.

Sharon stay Safe!

The front came thru here this evening.
It's nice and cool w/ a NW breeze.
From a hot 88° w/ a Humidity of 79% to a nice 79 w/ Humidity of 34% in the last hour.
Supposed to go down to 60° tonight.

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Adina - LOL I was waiting for the sun to rise... ;-)

Sharon - can't imagine it being too hot on the beach ... WOW then it's REALLY hot!

LOL - Ric ... well 4 hours ;-) But it's pretty cool to think that the sun is rising and setting in the opposite direction that it was in December ;-)

Another one from last night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ha! Sharon: now I've heard everything--"too hot to go to the beach!" LOL
Adina, that was some fire!
Pepper: pretty rudbeckia. Enjoy your cooler weather!
Ric: those steppingstones look like wheels from a Stone Age cart! LOL (or did they have wheels in the Stone Age?)
Another great photo, Rann!

Marylyn: I'll stop complaining--we are a cool 81ºF at 9:51 p.m. It is also Dyson dark.
Good night all.
P.S. DGS and I enjoyed the movie--it had lots of noise and action but it was relatively harmless and the good guys won. :o)) I loved the tiny cowboy character! Although the evil Egyptian pharaoh was hilarious, still, he got his just reward in the end. :o)) There was only one very mild(by today's terms) swear word, which was refreshing! I rarely go to the movies because most of them are just plain trash, IMHO, but I'll have to admit that this one was fun.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Getting ready for the drive to work & it is dark.

Kelli – 67*? Is that the water temp or air temp? If it’s air temp…I’m moving to your beach LOL!
Ric – 60*? Y’all are killin’ me! Cool stepping stones.
Rann – It’s been too hot to go to the beach for me. Laying on hot sand baking in the hot sun then “cooling off” in warm water??? No not for me LOL! Your pics are just gorgeous!
Mau – Fred Flintstone had wheels on his car! The beaches aren’t as jam-packed as they usually are. It’s a tad more hot this year…even the tourists are whining. I don’t go to the movies much either for the same reasons.

77.5 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 71 °F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 7.5 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 °F
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 94. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Heat index readings 101 to 105.

No rain last night. Lots of thunder and lightening though. I don't know where the rain went, but it completely skipped us.

I start the July on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: pretty flower--is that e.hookerii?

Today: Mostly Sunny
High 93°F
Precip 10%
Wind: N 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 43%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:57 AM CT
Avg. High: 90°F
Record High: 103°F (1988)
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 68°F
Precip 0%
Wind: W 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
Sunset: 8:26 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68°F
Record Low: 56°F (2006

Phlox--it doesn't seem to mind the heat

Thumbnail by marsue

Sharon, that's a 67F air temperature, with a water temperature of about 62F.

It will be hot again today. I'll check in later.

(Zone 3b)

68*F~thunderstorm in the works. More thunder in the past days than in years.
Had a good time RVing w/grandkids the past few days; today we went to the reindeer farm where you can wander out into the herd and hand feed them. Was a good day, as well.
Celia's in Oregon- not Marsue:)) Need to be more careful of thinking one way, and typing the other:)0
Happy Anniversary, Rann. Nice seeing you on Facebook now. Love being able to see at a glance friends' there, too.
MySharona~the rhubarb is very good all season. The leaves are not edible. The new haircut must be great in that hot weather.
Adina~your lightning photos are beautiful.
hi all~getting back on is great seeing you all.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pretty Phlox!

kiska a little squirrel stew?
He looks fat enough....lol!

Another hot low humidity day.
Maybe 84.
We worked on the flowers all day.... well our 'next' project is in the works too.... but mostly the garden.

Mau here's 'Coffee Cups' or 'Tea Cups' depending on who you ask.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We thinned out the herd today.
EE's are now scattered everywhere around the yard and I was able to sell a few also.

Here's the last herd shot until Fall.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and sunny today with the occasional breeze. Probably mid 80s.

Another daylily.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome back, Kiska!! :-)

That's a beautiful daylily, pepper!

It rained this evening!!! Yayyy! It was pouring for a long time, which was wonderful. Charles went to the library to drop off some books and a video that was due today ("Lars and the Real Girl"... a very different sort of movie! Good, but.... well, different. LOL). He called to say that it was going to be a while before he got home because the thunderstorm we could hear in the distance from here was right over the library and the lightning was all around him. As he was talking I could hear the sirens from several fire trucks, so a building nearby might have been hit.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (765 min ago)
Temperature 82 °F 28 °C (That's almost a 20 degree difference from just a few hours ago!)
Dew Point 75 °F 24 °C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 29.85 in 1011 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir W 270°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 90 °F 32 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0°F / 25.0°C

There's still a chance of more rain tonight, and a chance of some tomorrow, too. I'm praying we get some nice steady showers for several hours... It would make SUCH a difference!

It didn't get as hot today as they were calling for. It probably got somewhere between 85 and 90.

colorful sunset tonight

Thumbnail by Kelli

last of the sun reflecting off one of the Warner Center highrises

Thumbnail by Kelli

The place where I used to work is near these buildings. It is too short to be visible from this distance.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Mau – Yes it is! It’s been blooming pretty regular this summer.
Kelli – I want to move to your beach LOL! 67* in the summer? Perfect for me…although I probably wouldn’t be able to afford to live there!
Kiska – A reindeer farm sounds like fun! I just had to get my gray roots tuned up LOL! I started going gray at 25 (thanks Dad!). I keep my hair at a bob length, just above my shoulders or a little shorter in the summer. That is the cutest squirrel feeder I’ve ever seen!
Ric – That’s a nice big gulp of coffee there! Those are cool looking!
Pepper – Love that daylily!
Marylyn – Congrats on the rain! We got some too :)
Kelli – That’s a pretty sunset!

77.4 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 74 °F
Wind: 3.8 mph
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 29.71 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 600 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 92. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

We had a thunderstorm move through last night. Jeff was also late getting home due to the heavy rain and winds. I shut down the computer due to all the lightening. We have surge suppressors, but I like to shut it down...just in case. We received 1" of rain, temps dropped to 74, so I went out on the porch after the worst had passed. It was pleasant out without humidity.

Justin modeling Jeff's dorky hat! We tease each other about out summer hats :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

58*F Sunny, bright, and beautiful.
ric~gorgeous plants; the "coffee-teacups" looks great with such a pretty bowl shape. The squirrel is really putting away the seeds now and getting plumper by the day.
kelli~the sunset/city is so nice, too. Great seeing more of your area.
Marylyn~what a storm-must have made quite a racket.
MySharona~cute pic of Justin~~the 74* sounds quite nice.
Pepper~that's so pretty; love the soft color.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Too much to catch up on or comment on, so...

92.7 °F with 98º for the high. We came from 75º 800 miles away, to this.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 14.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 88 °F
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

No pics yet. I have to review, crop, and delete.

(Zone 5a)

Celia - welcome back! :-)

Kiska - looks like the reindeer farm was a lot of fun. My girls would LOVE that! :-)
Marylyn - so glad I don't have to deal with thunderstorms ..... seems the cool weather here takes care of a lot things I don't have to deal with as a result! lol
Kelli - very pretty sunset .... and nice view!
Ric - those coffee cups are really cool looking :-)

It was mosty cloudy today, very short sunny spell around noon but otherwise overcast. Pretty calm and still relatively warm ..... a high of 61°F today! Yesterday was even better .... there were more sunny spells so it must have been a bit warmer .... felt warmer at least. I really need to get a new thermometer ......

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuuu! :D What a gorgeous day today. At the moment we have a temp of 76, w/ clouds & sun, intermittently. And a great breeze to go w/ it. :)
At Dublin....
Mostly Cloudy79°F
Feels like: 79°F
Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 61°
Humidity: 53%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 10 mph W
Sunrise: 6:06 AM
Sunset: 8:48 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Mau. I've been so busy that I need to clean the bed that my Amaryllis is in before I take a pic. But it's doing very well! :D
Sharon...Where's your hat!? :D
Kelli! Great article & very informative! :D And LOVE that sunset!
Ric, Looks like both RU's went well. I really like those wooden shingles! Is that what they call shakers?
Kiska, Looks like fun was had by all! :D Have the earth quakes subsided? I certainly hope so! :-O
Rann, Such a pretty face!

Me & JW picked black raspberries yesterday....LOL! He had 6 in his bucket before he tried one. When he did...he had the look of "Hey, That's what's in my bucket!" He ate them all! LOL! Luckily, there weren't too many of them, otherwise he may have had a burnt rear. :) And it won't be much longer & the blackberries will be ready. :)

Have a good evening!
Joey

Stella Dora is blooming! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

This is my DBIL's new addition....

Yeager

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

JW (or as he says....Joe) on the move.

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 3b)

"our" little JW/Joe is as cute as ever. Glad to see you again, too. Yeager is pretty darn cute, as well.
69*F~ sunny and as nice a day as I've seen. There was a 3.2 quake today, but I didn't notice. The volcanco has been downgraded today~that's good, too.
rann~glad you're getting nice weather, too~the Reindeer can't bite, nor do they kick backwards and are a wonderful way for the kids to see them up close.
grandkids meeting us at the airport last week. They flew up alone and did very well.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey let's watch the 'Dorky Hat' cracks I have one just like that! LOL!

Joey that would be Shakes.
Split Red Cedar

Looks like someone's missing some teethes!
Does the Tooth Fairy visit Iceland?

Yeager looks like a no nonsense kinda dog!

Cool Reindeer!
I love those guys... and girls as I see there.... we have them at the zoo here.
Still stop in to pet them when we're there.
Glad the Grans had a good trip.
That's a scary at any age. Looks like they handled it well.

Never broke 75 degrees here today.
Nice breeze.... ahhhhh.....

Well the north side Shaking is done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.