It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 4

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1002809/

Everyone is welcome!

Marylyn – We got some rain too last night! We didn’t cool off after, just felt like a steam bath after. That’s a creepy looking fruit! Houston was also known for rice farms before becoming “cityfied”.
Se_eds – 80’s would feel like a cold wave here LOL!
Pepper- LOL cute “kitty”!

75.2 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 69 °F
Wind: 3.8 mph from the SW
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 29.68 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 °F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4400 ft
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 90. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

A storm moved through about 8:30 last night and steamed us a little. People are starting to mow their lawns around 8-9pm or 7-8am.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's raining and fairly calm ..... temperature was 46°F at 12 noon according to the weather service ..... it just keeps getting colder! lol I'm not complaining though ... the rain is just what the plants needed.

Sharon - beautiful sunset :-)

Sally - lucky the tornadoes didn't come close!

Marylyn - I've seen that fruit before ...... no idea what it's called though!

Marsue - pretty beebalm and your heart shaped flower bed is very pretty :-) Yes one can always hope ;-) lol I'm just hoping summer will return soon! lol I'm not asking for much .... just some high 50's - low 60's would be nice!

Kiska - wow that would be pretty unnerving! Lots of activity there yesterday! Has is calmed down or are things stilly "shaky"?

Celia - I don't know anyone here who doesn't love the daylight during summer .... I think if you'd experience it you'd love it too! :-) It really is pretty cool ;-) lol Right Kiska? Blinders for the windows keep the daylight out of the bedroom .... the only problem is getting to bed ..... you tend to loose track of time when it's bright out all the time ;-) lol

Wish you all a great day! If I could I'd blow a cool breeze down your way ...... :-)

Another midnight sunset two years ago .....

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is inside of veggie barn. New floor going in.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the flower garden I cleaned up & remulched Sunday.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Tomatoes are growing fast!
This is year 9 for tomatoes in this house.
Well back to washing veggies.
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marylyn that fruits is overripe Rambutan.
It comes from the Nephelium lappaceum.
It should be Red or Yellow depending on the variety.
I got some from a local market here in their Central American section as Mamón Chino.

Cool, relatively, last night.
I actually grabbed a blanket.
73° now but heading for 90°.
Off to plant late crop potatos.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Too much to catch up on. We're leaving for OR this afternoon and I need to pack.

64.8 °F with 83ş for the high.
Clear
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 47 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Two-headed coreopsis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

HEY YOU CAN SEND US SOME RAIN ANYTIME NOW!!! hahaha It is HOT HOT HOT today & our temps are not going to be below 100 for the rest of the week.. UGH. I tend to hibernate as soon as 11 am hits as it gets way ttoo hot for me. I lather on the sunscreen but noticed I still got burned!!! So Ric, send me some o that ice cream! hahaha Bernie, you can give me 70's temps anytime. Oh & Marylyn, that's not fair that you are getting rain & I'm not! hahahaha
However, I did see my first large butterfly this mornign while watering the garden, I am THRILLED!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It's HOT, HOT, HOT, here, too, Cindy. The Weather Channel is saying it's 97şF right now but the thermometer on my back porch (which is in the shade) says it is 100şF right now! Even my little dog doesn't like going outside any longer than he needs to.
Celia: have a great time in Oregon!
Marylyn: that's the wierdest looking fruit I have ever seen.
Ric: thanks for the ID on that fruit--that's very interesting.
Bernie: neat veggie barn; pretty flower bed; I love fresh tomatoes!
Rann and Sharon: nice sunset pics
Rann: Send some of those cooler temps over here! LOL
Sharon: I don't think it would be a good idea for you to send the lantana this week-end. It would probably die during transit in this heat. Just hold off--you can send me something when it cools off somewhat. Thanks, anyway. So sorry the ajuga didn't make it. We can try again in the fall, perhaps.

LOCAL WEATHER ALERT for Cabot, AR (72023)

Heat Advisory for Lonoke County, AR
until 7 pm CDT, Tue., Jun. 23, 2009
Prepare for Extreme Heat
Issued by The National Weather Service
Little Rock, AR
12:03 pm CDT, Tue., Jun. 23, 2009

... HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LITTLE ROCK HAS ISSUED A HEAT ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT THIS EVENING.

THE COMBINATION OF AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN THE MID AND UPPER 90S... ALONG WITH HIGH HUMIDITY VALUES... WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUS HEAT INDICES THIS AFTERNOON. HEAT INDEX VALUES BETWEEN 105 AND 110 DEGREES WILL BE COMMON ALONG THE ARKANSAS RIVER VALLEY... AS WELL AS PARTS OF EAST CENTRAL ARKANSAS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN... AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND NEIGHBORS.

Ric: I think you had asked (or maybe it was EB) if the Minnie Pearl Phlox bloomed all summer. Judge for yourself. . .that's it in the center front

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 23, 2009 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the new thread, MySharona. The photo is so pretty.
45* the rain has let up.
Luckily we had summer for May and most of June; think it's one to be grateful for. There'd been a few days of up to the low 70's, but mostly in the 60's.
Except for container plants, it's rained enough not to have to water. We have no water hoses for yard or flowers, but keep one hooked up in case of fire.
The earthquakes continue.
4.1 at about 6:30 this morning was the latest.
The never-ending daylight is just as rann says; it's wonderful. Dinner time, play/sleep; all schedules are left behind.
Nice catching up; again, too far behind.

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Ric! :-)

Cindy, it rained for about half an hour, and then the sky cleared back up. I need to go refill the bird bath today - all of the water evaporated already.

Today is the little bunny's birthday. Katie is 6! I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and she thought for a moment and said "pink cupcakes and a red present!" Ok, I can do that... LOL

Here are both bunnies after a hair cut last week...

Oh, yeah, and it's hot and dry again. No surprise there. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

86° (Heat Index 87°) Dewpoint: 63° Wind: N 9 MPH Humidity: 46%

Not too bad out there.
The Sun just hit the bed as we finished the 'taters.
Now it's hitting me on the deck.

The new project is coming along fine.
It's design on the fly...... lol!
Putting stuff away now.
Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Have a safe trip , Celia! Great pics!
Sharon, thanks for the new thread! Hooray for the rain! I might need to borrow some of your hibiscus pics for a new article about hibiscus, they are awesome!
Mau , the garden looks great, doesn't look like you have such high temps!
Bernie, the tomatos are looking great! I just learned how to take care of them, it's my first year when I'm growing them as they should and they are already rippening here too, yiippeee!
Ric, the pics are great, love the white kitty, so sweet!
Kelli, amasing, your story is so similar to mine!
Rann, what is that about the ice mass?
Marylyn, great pics! Great you had some rain.
Sally, thank God the storm didn't make too much damage!
Mau, look I had some boys playing with the hose!LOL
We had a terrible storm yesterday and it rained a lot. Today it's warm again.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

I took this while it was raining.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Marylyn, those are interesting picture of Korea.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 23, 2009
77 °F
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 54 °F
Wind: 7 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.78 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

from the other day - yellow mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have a great trip, Celia! We'll miss you!! ^_^

(Zone 7a)

Okay...the house is clean, I'm all packed (except for the stuff I forgot), said goodbye to select neighbors who're going to help keep an eye on things and, now, I'm waiting for my ride.

Thanks, everybody! Going to be fun! I've made plans to meet with another DGer in OR. We're going to go to the Oregon Gardens and visit hers. Yippee!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Celia - have a great trip! :-)

Marylyn - Happy Birthday to Katie! :-) 6 is such a big leap ..... at least Hildur Eva feels she's very much grown up now that's she's 6 ;-) lol

Adina - I'm sorry I'm not following ... what ice mass?

The sun is out so there's actually a chance of a midnight video tonight (10 pm now) :-) Keeping my fingers crossed!

Rann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: hope the earthquakes stop soon!
Marylyn: the bunnies look so cute with their summer haircuts! Happy 6th Birthday to Katie! They grow up in a hurry, don't they?
Ric: 86şF with 46% humidity sounds great to me! Send it down here! LOL
Adina: Yes, I think the "boys" in your photos are somewhat older than the ones in my photos--LOL I surely did want to step right into that photo of your rain!
Kelli: that's a pretty yellow lily
Celia: take lots of photos to share with us!

Oh, I see a rain cloud in the west--sure hope it makes it over to my house! I had a friend call me and tell me they had a rain shower where she was today which is about 20 miles south of me. Maybe there is hope! Today has been our hottest day so far--exceptionally hot even for June in Arkansas. It's still hot--94şF at 5:30 p.m.

Rio Samba

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006464/

????????

Dyson

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, I find I hate IE8. I hit the browse button to post a pic, my screen flashed and I lost my post. Too bad no other browsers work on my comp.

Ok, it's hot and humid with no breeze. Excessive heat warnings out for much of the midwest.

Not posting a pic. lol

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina that's SOME rain!

Celia have a GREAT Trip!

Mau we had that over the weekend.
Stay hydrated!

Hot and Dry here today.
Maybe 87 tops.
The new project is going well.
Tomorrow 'may' see it done...lol!

Definitely going to be watering.
The dry air and breeze have really parched the containers.
Great for us though! Seems all our weather is coming from the North.
Around 90 day/65 nights.
We had to take the saucers out from underneath them because we've had so MUCH rain.
Now it's Summer mode. The saucers are going back under.

Planted 5 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes today.
Late planted for storage.

Anyone recognize this?
About 3' tall.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We got watered about a ˝" during noon hour. A nice thunderstorm. I like it when the man above waters on schedule. It was 92ş & 5 minutes later it was 78ş. 71ş now. Supposed to stay decent the rest f the week.
Bernie

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy this morning, supposed to be dry today according to the forecast ... might even see some sun :-) Around 46°F at the moment ..... could see a high around 50°F today. The lowest recorded temperature in the country last night was 34°F.

Hildur Eva is going on a camping trip with her preschool today, they'll be back around noon tomorrow. They won't be going far, just up to the lake just outside of town we often visit. They will be sleeping in tents so that's very exciting for them. I think I'll miss her terribly! lol In case anyone's interested how to pack when camping in Iceland, this is among the things we packed for her: soft wool pajamas, snowsuit (she thought that was very funny!), mittens, wool socks, warm hat, rain suit and rain boots, fleece jacket and pants. As you can see from last night's low it can get pretty cold at night! And it isn't particularily warm during the day either ;-) lol

Mau - did you get some rain? Rio Samba is gorgeous :-)

Ric - sorry I have no idea what that is .. .hopefully someone will recongnize it.

The girls at the lake last summer, they'll be camping close to the cabin on the other side of the lake.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rusty – Good to hear from you!
Bernie – The tomatoes are looking good!
Celia – Have fun in Oregon!
Cindy – Break out those fans! Too hot! Stay safe in that heat.
Mau – Ok. Let me know what plant you want and I’ll get cuttings started. This heat is a bear! Your gardens have filled out beautifully!
Kiksa – Your area sure has been active this year. A volcano and earthquakes. How is Mt. Redoubt doing?
Marylyn – The girls are growing up! Look how big they are LOL!
Adina- You got it! The grass looks good! “This is the way we water the grass” LOL!
Celia – Pretty rose! I would have been packed 3 days ago! I can be so OC about some things LOL!
Kelli – Love that mariposa lily!
Mau – Rio Samba!
Pepper – I love IE8! Esp the part where you can go “in private” at work LOL!
Ric – Yes, but I can’t remember the name. Sure is pretty!
Bernie – I like it when the big guy waters on schedule here too!
Rann- Hildur Eva is going to have so much fun, but I bet she is going to miss you as much as you will miss her!

75.6 °F
Clear
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 69 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.77 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 °F
Visibility: 6.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 90. Light winds becoming east 10 to 15 mph.

I had to move some of my sun annuals yesterday. They are cooking!

Ric - I found a beached whale too!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Catching up again. June is beginning to sound like Goldilocks and the three bears. It's too hot, too cold and not very many just right days. The Farmers Almanac said the Midwest would be hotter this year.

Rain and wind again last night. We have had rain Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday. Over an inch most of the time. I don't know where we're putting all of it. Funnels were spotted north and east of us in the next towns over. We had wind, but no branches down. I still need to mow.

It was 67 ş when I got up at 5:00 am. The rain guage is condensed over so I can't read it with binoculars. It's a bit less than an inch I think. Another hot day coming.

Thanks for the new thread Sharon. I missed the post on the last page in my haste. I usually look for it. That's a beautiful golden sunset!

Rann, another beautiful sunset!

Bernie, nice floor going in! I have 4 bags of mulch from last year stacked in the garden. DH keeps asking if I'm going to use it. Well of course I am! As soon as I get a bed finished so I can lay it down. Nice rock garden! Gorgeous tomato plants!!!

Ric, I watched a show that said more fruits and vegetables are being sold at specialty spots in markets. Pretty cool, but you can't beat watermelon!!!

~ ~ Have a great time Celia!! Twice the pretty for the coreopsis! What a gorgeous rose!!

Cindylove. I just turned the fan on and it's pointed south. Hope to blow our rain out of here!

Mau, nice flowerbed. I love the sun hitting the coneflowers. The phlox and gaura make it look cool. A beautiful rose!

Kiska, interesting sign. Is there a story to it? Glad the earthquakes aren't a danger to you!

Marylyn, A big Happy Birthday to Baby bunny Katie! I love the pink and red request. Two sweeties!! I love their haircuts!

Ric, taters sound so good. Ours, I planted Norland this year, are looking good.

Adina, no one is too old to play in the water. I waded in the ditch water yesterdday LOL! I hope your rain soaked in fast! That's wet, but sure mops the floor nice!

Kelli, love the detail on the inside of the lily. Beautiful! And you have a bee, yaaayyy!!

Dyson, I've never seen that happen, but it was a good one!

Ric, sage or hyssop?

Bernie, the man is delivering too much rain to us. I think someone wrote down the wrong address.

Rann, a camping trip! It is funny to pack all that, but what a great experience for her! 34 ş, I'm not ready for that even if it is hot! The lake looks very inviting! The cabins too!

Sharon, LOL on the second beached whale!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Already 75° at 9 AM. Going for 92° .
Calling for 95° by Saturday. But still those cooler nights..... I can seriously handle that! lol!

Rann I hope Hildur Eva has a GREAT time!
LOL at the gear.
That's Late FallWinter gear here!

Sharon as the temps climb the Beached Whales will appear more frequently I think.

It's definitely a Sage/Salvia.
Definitely not Salvia azurea but close.

A close up. Lower lip not elongated. Top (central lip) is notched and forms a spur.
The bloom is about 1/3" wide.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - thanks :-) Maybe she'll miss me little bit, but I think she'll be having too much fun to miss us much. Selma's a bit lonely without her sister today ......

We got a list from the school of what to pack .... Hildur Eva couldn't get over the fact that she was supposed to pack her snowsuit ... we'd put those away for the summer! lol There were also shorts on the list ..... I'm pretty sure the shorts won't be used, but she'll definately be wearing the snowsuit tonight to keep warm! lol They'll sit outside singing songs before they go to sleep, I doubt they'll have a campfire, not sure they're allowed there ...... so I think the snowsuits are actually a pretty good idea. They'll probably be nice and toasty before they crawl in the sleeping bags that way ;-)

Ric and Sharon - LOL at the beached whales! lol

Here's another photo from the lake last summer (sorry if I'm repeating myself). Neither the rose nor any of the trees are natural vegetation ... they're all planted. The rose club has a "wild rose garden" in the southward facing slope ... that's some rugosa rose in the foreground. The "forest soceity" of my town has planted all the trees around the lake ..... I think all "forests" in Iceland (except maybe one or two) are man made.

The Icelandic sagas say that when the first settlers arrived here there were trees (birch) growing from the coast up to the mountains ..... I find that pretty hard to believe .... but if it's true all the trees were chopped down to build houses/boats and for firewood a very long time ago. The sheep that the settlers brought with them made sure no trees grew back! lol And for centuries people believed that trees could not be grown here. When I was growing up there were no "forests" just thickets of natural birch trees that didn't grow taller than 3 - 5 feet at the most. So we had this saying: "If you get lost in the forest, just stand up to find your way!" lol For the past 50 - 60 years there's been a great effort to grow some new forests around the country. Now there are actually a few areas with a gathering of trees tall enough to be called a forest .... no one's big enough to get lost in longer than for about 5-10 min though. lol

The sun is out ... feels warmer while it is shining ....cools considerably when the clouds move in. One of these off and on kind of days.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

38*F this morning~and,
there's ice on the deck~rained last night and now there's a thin layer of clear/black ice and thicker ice on the rain drops.
Adina~what a heavy rainfall you had. The boys looked like they were loving it.
Have a great time in Oregon, marsue.
kelli~love the pretty, bright flower.
Marylyn~ pink cupcakes and a red present sounds like Katie knows her mind~happy birthday to her. Cute pic of the bunnies.
Dyson~what a strange veggie.
ric~the blossom looks a bit like lupine to me.
rann~the overnight camping trip will bring wonderful memories for her. Sounds like a great time. Interesting about the trees; the dwarf birch grow north of Palmer; cute little trees:))
MySharona~love your beached whale~Redoubt continues to simmer.
pepper~the weather there certainly is never boring~
The sign posted earlier is at the Eklutna Native Village near Palmer. I'd gone to visit the Russian Orthodox Church and Native cemetary a few days ago.
Ice on the deck this morning.
The black ice doesn't show up,well, but there's a thin, bumpy layer on the deck and railing.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The Russian Orthodox chuch at the nearby Native Village of Eklutna.
The gravesites are covered w/Spirit Houses built by the the family of the deceased. They are built 40 days after the burial using family colors/clan colors. Personal belongings are place inside.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska,the Russians have similar customs to us. We also have Spirit houses.
Rann, it was about "the ICESAVE mess "...I didn't remember well,sorry!
Ric, our field is full of those sage. I have to take a picture
Sorry I won't comment about all posts, I hope to cattch up with all tomorrow, I have a day off. Last night it rained again and I managed to take some pics of the lightnings.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot but not quite as humid today. Storms last night and tonight.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

92° here today.
But we managed to get the containers watered, saucers replaced and some drip hose in.
And just about have the new deck Canopy finished.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Sally – Send that extra rain to the South!
Rann- Let us know how Hildur Eva did last night! That’s interesting about the trees. I had no idea.
Kiska- A little too early for ice, huh? The Spirit Houses are so bright and colorful.
Adina – Great pic of the lightening!

76.8 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 67 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 79 °F
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 93. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's so hot my roses are sweating LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

46*F ~ low clouds but some blue sky in places.
I'll be gone a few days ~ today our 8 and 9 year old grandkids are flying up, alone, to spend 10 days w/us and "the cousins", as my gdaughter says.
Adina~great pic~interesting to learn of the customs there, too.
ric~looks so nice there; beautiful job.
MySharona~poor little rose:)

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

My 6'3" grandson w/rhubarb.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I see the rhubarb Kiska.....lol!

86° (Heat Index 93°) and we're getting popup showers.
Just enough to start moving inside then........

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!

It's been cloudy today, it rained for a while this afternoon, fairly calm and about 53°F.

Hildur Eva had a great time on the camping trip .... her teacher said that she and her friend wanted to stay another night! lol She said she slept well in the tent ... but when she got home she fell asleep and slept for almost 2 hours so she was pretty exhausted! lol

Today is my and DH's anniversary - we've been married 15 years if you can belive that! How time flies. We're going out to dinner tonight :-)

Kiska - love all your photos :-)

Ric- I love how your project is turning out!

Sharon - pretty rose :-)

Adina - interesting about the spirit houses over there too :-)

Hope you're all having a great day!

Last night was a beautiful sunset .... I haven't downloaded the photos and video yet .... I'll do it as soon as I can! :-)

Rann

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Anniversary, Rann!!! ^_^

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hot Dry & Hot taking a short break from watering the veggie garden & it is HOT

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.