Helenium Mardi Gras ENJOY!

Newton, MA

Today's most colorful bloom in my garden. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks,
James

Thumbnail by jep2075
Bay Village, OH

Rose campion is my bright spot today.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice! That helenium has been calling to me ever since I saw it on Bluestone's catalog cover. I think I need it. Nice bright colors from both of you to chase away all the drab cloudy weather of late. Here is a sunny happy bloom in my garden, gaillardia Oranges and Lemons.

Thumbnail by ngam
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretty pictures all.

How about a mixed jungle of annuals and perennials?

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

James,

Does it look as nice as the picture in Bluestone's cataloge?. I was seriously considering getting this flower this spring.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HEMGP.html

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

James, I live only a few miles from you, and my red heleniums don't usually bloom til August/September (though a lot of my plants seem to be blooming early this year). Do you know if "Mardi Gras" is an earlier blooming variety, or was yours greenhouse-grown and just planted this year?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

That Mardi Gras does just say "party" doesn't it? Great pic. I have Oranges and Lemons too; really nice.

Newton, MA

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your kind words.. considering we are the only ones who actually know how hard we work for those perfect flowers! kqcrna... I absolutely love your planting in the middle of the lawn! It's one of my favorite things to see and most of the time it does not even cross peoples minds to do it... it adds great depth and color.

As it all comes back to me I got them from a local nursery that specilizes in the harder to find things. I just thought it looked cool so I bought it. It had no blooms on it at all... this was early May and not until last week did it start blooming. It's all coming back to me now, I bought the Mardi Gras along with one Gaillardia Amber wheels which is supposedly new for this season. Both plants where about 4 ft tall with no blooms when I got them. The Amber Wheels bloomed first and I almost fell over because it was so beautiful!! For you local members (ngam & pennefeather) Mahoney's is where I got those... (big surprise huh?) The best part its that they where only about $12 each for a big plant that is producing outstanding blooms. Mahoney's is usually completely overpriced but sometimes you find things that are priced right or close to it. I know there are like 5 or 6 different Mahoney's in Boston area so you can check out the web site to find the closesest one to you. I go to the one in Brighton, which is actually the smallest of them all. The all have different stuff and you never know what you will find. http://www.mahoneysgarden.com/Locations.aspx I would call ahead first then go so you dont waste your time. Here is a picture of the Gallardia Amber Wheels I was telling you about. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by jep2075

Thanks for the info James. I rarely shop at Mahoney's because they ARE so pricey, and this year it seems they've gotten rid of the smaller sizes almost completely, and mostly sell giant pots of perennials in the $20 range. Not for me, thanks. Russell's in Wayland is one of my favorite sort of local places. They've gotten expensive too, but not as bad as Mahoney's and I can usually find a few unusual perennials I can't resist there. I like their assortment better, but then I haven't been to the largest Mahoney's in Winchester for quite a while.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Ah, I love Helenium. Thanks for the photo, and for all the other "bright spots" people have posted.

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I may have to invest in Mardi Gras. I absolutely love the colors. My only problem is that I don't have any room.

I'm going to have to rip out some coreopsis.

(Zone 7a)

I'm having a love affair with these flowers, too. Here's my newest. Fanfare.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Newton, MA

perenniallyme,

I agree Mahoney's is ridiculous..so ridiculous in fact that they were selling a pretty rare hybrid perennial that I have been keeping my eyes out for a couple of years, I was totally shocked to have found one.. actually they had 3 all in 1 gallon pots. I had done quite a bit of research on this plant so I know whats a reasonable price for it. They were selling each one for $149.99. I almost fell over laughing. Weston Nurseries has the same plant for $90 less!!

In the end I happened to get lucky, very very lucky..... about 2 weeks later I went to visit Allendale Nursery in Brookline. I Had never been there before so I thought it would be fun to check out a new place with no real intentions in my head about what or if I wanted anything... just felt like looking. Well to my surprise I found my plant pretty much the same size and everything just siting there looking pretty. So I said "do I even look at the price?" I can't handle the sticker shock anymore. Well I did anyway and instead of jumping up and down and screaming I kept my composure and put the only 2 they had in my cart! They were $ 32.99 each!!! A complete steal.. so I just had to get them both immediately. Can you give a guess as to what perennial I'm talking about? I bet you can figure it out... I have faith :)

I have been dying to go to Russell's. Never been there and have hear and read great things about them. They are definitely on my list of places to visit. I'm sooo excited to check it out. Thanks!

Thanks,

James

James,
I have no idea what perennial you're talking about - please do tell - you definitely aroused my curiosity! ( some exotic variety of lady's slipper? My one ventured guess)
Allandale Farm is my most local place, so I would like to give them my business, but I also find them extremely expensive. And their perennial selection is not very large. I occasionally will buy a bag of their lobster(?) compost or a bale of salt marsh hay for my community garden plot there, but not much else.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm with you perenniallyme -- I'm dying to know WHAT per. costs $150. Yikes.

Yikes is right! I just remembered though, that some intro daylilies cost that - I sure wouldn't be one of the buyers, though, no matter how gorgeous.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I had no luck with Fanfare which I planted this year, but here is my Mardi Gras. I think I need it in an area that gets more sun, and more drainage.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.