Had a Heart Attack (MI)

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Next season I have decided to grow everything in EBs as there will be no weeding as I must do now in my open cedar and plastic containers. Even though the open containers are heavily mulched the weeds still pop up. I completely cleared all weeds prior to my heart attack and my garden was perfectly free of all weeds but now because of all the rain that we have had the weeds are back. The cedar containers that I have are slowly rotting and the plastic ones are becoming brittle. Those containers cost as much as or close to the price of an EB? To bad my brain wasn't looking to the future as my EBs are not affected by the ultra violet. They are seven years old now and still look new.

I've been looking into an electric self propelled cart that costs $289. With that I can just sit in it and power myself around. The only problem is coming up with the money because I will still have a hospital bill to pay for even though I have excellent coverage I still have a co-payment of some sort.

I am feeling stronger as the days go by and am enjoying the rest. Today I have a visit with my Primary MD and next week three other appointments with my cardiologist and bariatric surgeon which are both in the same building and Thursday with my athritis doctor so I'll have a full and interesting schedule.

Just got back from my primary doctor's visit and much to my surprise it WAS NOT MY CHOLESTEROL as it was normal but the heat of the day, the weakness caused by my (Post-Polio Syndrome) PPS and the stress of pushing the lawn mower especially uphill? The stent was put in as an additional safeguard in case I'm foolish enough to try it again which I will not. I will never mow the lawn again unless it is in our fall - winter time and only with a power mower preferrably a sitting mower and that is final even if the grass grows a foot high! AMEN TO THAT---
Meanwhile I picked some nice ears of corn today..

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Well, good to hear your cholesterol is good, Tplant--at least activity is something you can completely control!

We just got back from a trip with Grandma and the kids to Disneyworld about a week ago. Grandma rented one of those little ECVs they had there and spent 2 days buzzing around Disneyworld--loved it! She can't walk well and tires easily, and this let her enjoy the special visit. Hope it works out that you can get one for yourself, so you can save your energies for the things you want to be doing, not just getting from poiint A to point B.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: Glad it isn't your cholesterol, now, all we got to do is hold you back a little bit, no sudden spurts of going out and working you rear off you hear? That electric cart sounds just like what you need also. Easy does it remember? If you gotta go outside do it in sprints, and take breaks, lots of them ok?
joy

Thank you guys but I don't intend to exert myself to the extent of using the moblie carts except at the stores. Everything in the future plantings as stated above will be grown in the real EBs.

Crestview, FL

TPlant: I'm saving up for 10 more of the EBs probably will get them in August or September and another used garage sale table to put them on, it makes it easier to water them and tend them. My daughter is going to make me an AWS system and hook it up also next time. I picked and ate the first red brandy boy tomato today, they are supposed to be kin to the brandy wine you like so well, and now I know why, they sure are meaty.
joy

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Glad you are okay...did they not monitor or have you on cholesterol meds?? I am a survivor of 2 heart attacks in 2001.

Take it easy...It has been in the 90's here in Indiana and I can only go out for short periods or very early in the day or after sundown!

It wasn't my cholesterol afterall but my attack was caused by the heat of the day and my stressing myself by mowing the lawn at that time. My HDL & LDL and triglycerides are normal. If it wasn't for all the weight I lost because of my Lap-Band surgery and the trenendous loss of weight I'd probably be planting with "Big Red " up in the weed free and bug free garden!

Thumbnail by Tplant
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

ahhhh...do take care!!

Hi Tplant

Just checking in to see how you're doing? Glad it's not your cholesterol. Hopefully that stress didn't do too much damage and you won't need the cart. I'm always pushing the envelope in the heat myself. I started to pay attention after your incident. Can't be careful enough sometimes.

Sherri

Just wish that the weather wasn't so hot. I can not recall in the 32 years living in Fl such high heat with the exception of Orlando in the summer. I used to work outside in the summer with my tent and fan setup but it is just to hot and humid even for that? Maybe there is something to this global warming? Going nuts just sitting around. My roses are and so all my plants are on BocaBobs auto watering system but the open containers need weeding and fertilizing. The EBs are doing fine as they are self caring. One of my better investments. We are getting hit with thunderstorms most every day now so their is little need for watering anyway and I've turned off my water for the rose garden as they are getting enough water just from the rain.

Ted, I'm glad you are getting some thunderstorms at least for the water. I hope you can find something to do while you are inside staying cool. Hope you are feeling well.

Just resting in my recliner as per orders till next week when I see my doctors!

Got the all clear from my cardiologist yesterday! Good News! He reduced my metroprolol because my heartbeat was to slow to one tab a day instead of two. Blood pressure was 110/72 which is normal for me. As I said before my attack was caused by the 95* heat and the stress of pushing my mower uphill plus my weak legs due to post polio, so no more mowing. Now if the rain would only let up as we have been having strong S. Florida thunderstorms everyday and who wants to work under those conditions. Weeds are enjoying it but my corn is ruined from all the water. The ears are not developing properly and those that do have developed a fungus. Same thing goes for the stringbeans but peppers are OK. Melons seem to be doing OK also and the coco coir is working out just fine as it drains very well and my roses are in good shape because of it. Oh well, August 15 starts my tomato seeds.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Glad to hear the good news from your cardiologist, Tplant! That's excellent.

Sorry, though, that the weather is wreaking so much havoc with your veggies. Frustrating to put all the time and effort in, to have it ruined by too much of a good thing. At least you will have some lovely roses to enjoy!

Tplant ... so sorry I've not seen this earlier. Guess I've been too busy in my garden and haven't been keeping up. I'm glad to see it wasn't your cholesterol after all, but please do take it easy in this heat! It's been horrid here this summer. My tomatoes are producing well, along with the cucumbers, but the peppers haven't done too much. I'll never garden without my EB's again. Will try to get some pics to post later. Maybe this will make you feel better, though. evil grin ...

Thumbnail by

Great news Ted!!

Thanks gang! That sandwich looks real good. I grew all beefsteaks last season and I think I'll do it again this August when I get started.

Corte Madera, CA

Ted, I hope you continue to take it easy. I'm so happy your cardiologist cleared you. We shall continue to watch your progress. I will take cues from my two dogs!

Sincerely,

Annapet

This attack has changed me! I am actually afraid of the heat we are having as it was the primary cause of my attack so I am avoiding the gardening for now.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm glad to know all we have 2 do is apply a little "heat" to keep the big man in line! Paw are you hydrating yourself properly? Linda

Ted, it's a good thing to be careful in this hot and humid weather. I wonder if those ties that you put around your head and/or neck would help? They've got something in them that makes them cool when you put them in water. Just a thought.

Corte Madera, CA

Ted, we're all checking up on you. I even added Pembroke Pines to my iPhone weather.

Thanks but I don't go out during the heat of the day or even if we have a warm evening. The earthboxes take care of themselves with the irrigation hook-up and the roses will have to wait to be weeded although they are also irrigated and heavily mulched but they are in open 20 gal containers.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't been by this forum in a while (June was fun-busy!), so I just found this thread... T, I'm so relieved you're doing OK! I hope you can see part of your garden in order to enjoy it while you sit inside, in air-conditioned comfort. Plants grow even if they share their space with weeds! :-)

I've got a table that I used for seedlings and plants in flats this spring, but I can't imagine how high I'd have to reach if I put tomatoes in EB's on a table! Maybe Joy just does that for her shorter plants, like peppers...

Hope the rest of your summer is much better, with you continuing to feel stronger each day!

Thanks critter. Can't recall such a hot summer? My cardiologist said that I may resume my gardening just do not lift heavy articles which is OK because my EBs are set in place and DO NOT WORK IN HOT WEATHER so I'm forever inside for now.

Crestview, FL

Critteroligist: I don't have to reach all that high, I reach higher watering the topsy turvy's and revolutionary planters than I do watering the EBs on the tables, the tables are waist high. I manage to pick them though without too much trouble too. They are over my head; but I can reach pretty high. LOL
joy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I guess I'd be pretty motivated to get up there for picking ripe tomatoes also! LOL

Crestview, FL

Critterologist: Trying to get in gear for my fall garden.
joy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya, TPlant, how are you doing?

Critter -- Doing fine! It is just that I tire by early afternoon. Yesterday I slept a good part of the day in my recliner and retired early. I get up about 6:30am feeling peppy and by noon or so I'm tired and usually fall asleep for two or three hours. My legs have become weaker which I was very concerned that this would happen because stress, especially a heart attack, increases the paralyzing affects of the good muscles. This happened to me in 98 after my first attack. That is when my neurologist diagnosed me with Post Polio Syndrome but I will still be able to do my EB gardening with the help of the light coco coir next to it and will not have to lug the 60lb Jungle Growth which I also love but now it is strictly coco coir because of weight. I set the EB in place and place the tub next to it and hydrate.
Must stay out of the heat so that is no problem at this time of year because the watermelon basically take care of themselves as do the okra and peppers with the self watering system. Don't know what I would have done if BocaBob had not introduced me to his irrigation system? I owe you big time Bob.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm glad to hear a good report! Hopefully your energy and mobility will improve as you continue to recover. Good to know you can continue gardening, too!

:-)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

TPlant, I'm joining Critterologist in wishing you good health and good gardening! Glad to know you're feeling better. Take care of yourself and enjoy those naps!

I was able to do some weeding awhile ago as it got cloudy for an hour or so and then the clap of thunder told me it was time to go inside but it was nice and cool out there. Too bad the storm came by? It was fun to be out there for the first time in over two months not counting the one day of my attack.

Goodland, FL

Glad you are doing well. You are on my prayer list.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Uh, this thread is two years old...

Yes, two years have gone by and I'm still here following doctors orders. All five of them. I planted my seeds 8/1 and will transplant them into containers today. My main garden is loaded with weeds as my DIL took off the weed cloth that I had on the garden so I will briefly mow that area today and spray a strong weed killer to kill all and in a few days spread new cloth. My grandson promised to help me because he said he loves me and doesn't want me to get sick again? Boy am I blessed with such a wonderful grandson. I now know why God has let me live when I actually died and was brought back in 98 when I did not want to come back but that was before he was born but that death scene is another true story that belongs elsewhere but not on this thread.

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

So glad you are getting help from your grandson, TPlant. How are you doing with your shoulder?

Well I have about 80% use of my right shoulder which is a lot more than I had prior to surgery but still waiting on my left shoulder although it is not as bad as it used to be but time will tell. Mean while enjoying our puppy. She is a German Shepard but I would still like a Shih-Tzu also as they would be so good for each other.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2011 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

She looks like a sweetie! I bet she's a good cuddler, and she'll never believe she's "too big" to be a lap dog.

I'm glad you're doing better. If you've been doing PT exercises, keep them up.. it's amazing how much range of motion you can recover if you're persistent. 80% sounds pretty good, but I'll pray for 100%!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.