Rudbeckia Sonora

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Have any of you grew this plant?? I got one yesterday and now reading it could up and die before finish blooming...But in some cases it will reseed.......What has been your experiences with it???

Mechanicsville, MD

I have never grown this particular variety but I have grown three types of rudbeckia; native, goldstrum and irish eyes. irish eyes did not come back but the other two have come back in droves especially goldstrum. As long as they go to seed I believe they should come back.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I also have 2 different varieties, but they are unbelievable reseeders.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

There both annual and perennial rudbeckias. Some of the hirtas like Green Eyes are annual. Sonora is another hirta annual. Goldstrum (fulgida I think) is a perennial. It's a good one and has been coming back in my garden for years. Self sows a bit too and the seeds are true to the parent.

I suspect Sonora is a hybrid and even if you save seeds and sow them, you won't get plants that are Sonora again. You can probably buy seeds that are true, though. I won't hurt to try and sow some from your plants and see what you get. But if you want one that reliably comes back, try Goldstrum.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with Hart -- Goldstrum is terrific.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I like the big flowers on Goldstrum. Some of mine have flowers 5-6 inches across.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.