Thumbnail by crazy4plants
Laguna Niguel, CA(Zone 10a)

Chocolate Ruffles

Crimson curls buried in the coreopsis

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

crazy4plants, When I looked at your pictures, all I could say is WOW. You have one of the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. I truly mean it. I'm very jealous. I love Brunneras too-have an old yard with many large trees thus shade. I have Jack Frost also and one the tag said Brunnera macrophylla.
Debbie

Debbie,

Thanks so much. I wish I had more variety as far as heuchs go. I am too cheap to pay the top dollar for many of the new ones. I have tried three marmalades and they all died. So I stick with the red ones and when I can't resist a yellow one, I get one or two. I don't even know the names of many of mine but I tend to get what is one sale and looks good. I just snapped a couple more pics of some of them because they are blooming and standing out more. I also really like my combo of Obsidian with yellow bleeding heart and lime green hosta.

Here are the Jack Frosts today with various heuchs and other stuff.

Here is miracle with some astibles I got from Ace last year. They seem to like the same conditions with heuchs.

Here are the astibles with Miracle again.

red astible

Shenandoah in moss

crimson curls

crimson curls in moss

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

crazy4plants, Your gardens illustrate a great sense of color-and how to put the plants together. The obisdian-combo is wonderful. Buying plants cheap I consider quite a reasonable way to go-I love to go to end of season sales when stores, etc. want to dump the plants. In fact astilbes are a favorite of mine. I've used them on two shaded hills I have in my yard. I've picked them up through the years-have over 30 different kinds-trying never to pay over 4.00 for one. I keep dividing them to fill in the spaces. Below are some pictures of the hills.
Debbie
Astilbes

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Astilbes 2

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Astibles 3

Thumbnail by dlefferts

I love your astibles, the way the flowers dangle above the greenery all around. II brought the big one from my previous backyard because it was in a spot that had to be hand watered and I knew it would die. It is closer to a sprinkler and has grown too large for the spot. How do you divide them? I tried to dig into the big one and it was solid as a rock. It is about three feet wide. I like the heucheras a lot and the yellow bleeding heart is lasting through the summer. It is bright and nice size. The flowers are done, but I want the color of the foliage.

I would like more red astilbes. Of the ones I have, I am in love with it. I only have the one though.

Crazy

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

C4P, what gorgeous gardens you have! Your pond is just beautiful and you've done such a great job with the arrangement of your plants. Very nice!

Debbie, your astilbes look really nice on the hill. Wonderful assortment. I only have a few but really like them.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Crazy, Just a magnificent garden you have there! What an eye ... and what a view!

Debbie, your astilbes look beautiful all massed such as you have them there. Finding them under $4 would be challenge enough! I don't have many , but my favourite astilbe combo is with Astilbe 'Glut' in front of a 'Goldheart' bleeding heart.

Sandy

The gold bleeding heart is a gem, perfect for hostas and heucheras, a great contast. Just clip the flowers when done. It is tall, elegant and dramatic.

Crazy

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Crazy, When I divide my astilbes-I dig the whole plant up-cut it into portions-with a garden saw (big serrated tool) & replant them. The only problem I've ever seemed to have is to remember to water repeatly when I've done the division. Astilbes seem to need more water then I lot of plants when transplanted. I would have trouble with dividing your huge astilbe. My personal favorite astilbes are Pumila (Pink), Hennie Graaland (Pink) & Visions in Red (you guessed it Red). If you are looking for red astilbes check out Amerika, Drum & Brass, Fanal (very nice) Koeln, Montgomery & Red Sentinel. I have all of them and they produce a nice color. Their sizes vary greatly from big to very small.

I also like dramtic colors in my gardens. One of my favorite colors is also yellow. I have put in Sedum reflesium 'Angelina' & Sedum erythrostictum 'Mediovariegatum'. I think they have pictures of them in Plant Files. I can't send pictures today due to once again rain in New England. I'll check, if not I'll send pictures when it isn't raining.

I also love different leaf strutures in my garden from a prickly pear cactus to giant dill to some of the crazy ferns they seem to have available now.
Debbie

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Stopped raining, picture Angelina.

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Deadnettle-Lamium maculatum 'Aureum'

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

'Mediovariegatum'

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I "rescued" this poor little Mars from the clearance rack at Meijer last summer. It is so pretty this year! Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

My favorite row of huecheras... Mars, silver scroll, and color dream. Along with Squash Casserole hosta...love the name!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Venus and a small green spice with my sum and substance hosta. He is getting sun scorched... poor baby. Ronna

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

gardenlady123, Great Heucheras, lost Green Spice - over winter - I'm going to look for her again.
Debbie

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Crazy!!! I love the photos of your yard. Wow it looks like you have been working on it for a long time. Geourgeous. Debbie I like the Auream deadneddle! Pretty. Beautiful Goldfinch... love the gardens. Everyone has such lovely yards. Ronna

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Ronna, your garden looks pretty too! Did you make your red tinmen? Very cute!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks. Don't I only wish. I got them about six years ago from Jackson/Perkins half price online. I love them they stay in that spot all year around. Look great in the snow also. Ronna

Just bought two Southern Comforts for 7.99 each. I saw them last year but didn't want to spend the money. They were more expensive. Anyone with these? Where are they best, sun or shade? I have two spots for them. The first spot is in the extreme right under the path light. This hardy geranium has always bugged me. I had three of them and ripped the other two out. This is the only survivor and it is going in the garbage. It always has dead and moldy leaves on it. The flowers are very disappointing. Everything around it is thriving. It gets a fair amount of late day sun and the heucheras around there are doing great.. These new heucheras are nice and full with large leaves. As soon as it cools down, I'll plant them

Crazy

Second location is the far right of this, right of where the daffodils are at. I have a lungwort (sp) that also has never done well. I had three of them. One died, one got moved and looks wimpy and this one is wimpy. Not worthy of the space. So out it goes. The orange Southern Comfort should look nice in with the Jack Frosts and other heuchs.

Crazy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a southern comfort mine is in shade all day. It is very nice. Big=== 24 in across and 13 in. high. Nice colors.Mine does very weel in the shade... Good buy for 7.99. Ronna

Thanks, Ronna. Yours is lovely. Mine are nice size plants and the price seemed good to me. I planted them yesterday since we are now getting cool temps in the 60's and it is raining. Should help them adjust before we blast back in to the 80's. My only concern is that when I dug up the geranium, the soil was dry so I am going to have to hand water this until I can divide the astilbe that is blocking the sprinkler. The other local is shady and gets plenty of water. Both look great. Love the large leaves and under coloring.

Crazy

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Sure wish we would get some rain! Everytime its on the way over the "Lake" it fizzles out.. Cool weather we do have. Hope you enjoy your new huerchera. Ronna

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The rain isn't falling on this side of the Lake either gardenlady. Doppler radar looked promising today but nothing was hitting the ground. Have only had 1/10 in of rain for all July and not much more than that in June. Grass is brown and crispy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.