Dupont Hibiscus Pictures

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Starting a new thread for posting pictures of the Cajun Hibiscus from the Dupont Nursery Co-op.
Feel free to post your favorite pictures of your plants.

We are coming from this thread:
Co-ops: PAYMENTS & SHIPPING: Dupont Hibiscus co-op
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965912/

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's the first Red Beans and Rice pic. Unfortunately this was the only plant in my order that made it through shipping unbroken. The rest are still trying to recover.

It lasted only one day, was 6-7 inches in size. The colors are most vibrant in the morning and faded fast by evening.

Thumbnail by chuck7701
Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

She's a beauty Chuck! I've got the same one coming from that co-op too, can't wait to get my first bloom.

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

Very pretty chuck.

In the early spring and fall she will hold her colors much longer.

Robert

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new room, Saving my spot, for when I get my plants, then I can show them off!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice "Red Beans And Rice" Chuck. Oye oye.
Jon

Edisto Island, SC(Zone 8b)

oooo, i'm thrilled for you on that red beans and rice...i've got one coming too so i'm especially glad you posted that pic...thanks!!! virginia

Here is Hibiscus "Eye Of Kali" bloom from today (Wedn June 17) in Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's one of my photos of Hibiscus "Bon Temps" (translates to "good times" in French.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's a photo of mine of Hibiscus "Magic Moments"....a very large sized "double" bloom.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And my favorite photo of Hibiscus "Voodoo Magic" (twins).

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, lovely. I can't wait. Mine are going in the house anyway, so I've been in no hurry. I so appreciate what Debbie has had to do to finish up this co-op. It's been a trial for sure. She is a wondeful lady.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Jon, those are absolutely beautiful. Were those all from the hibiscus co-op with Debbie? I've hopefully got BonTemps & Magic Moments coming from her. I can't wait! Learning how to take pictures that look as great as yours will be something else I need to spend a bunch of time working on.

Here's a pic of a turkey that was walking around the yard this a.m.. I'm thinking I need to take lessons in photography. ;-)

Thumbnail by davis1676

Thanks, I like the turkey picture. Looks like he's a runnin and its nowhere near Thanksgiving!!! All the hibiscus photos I posted are currently offered in the co-op. I had previously purchased a few of them recently. The key, for me, at taking good pictures is to take them either early in the day or later in the evening when the sun is not directly over head. It's also helpful to take several shots at slightly different angles. If you take 3 or 4 photos you should find one you like best. Just experiment a little with the angles and you'll see what I mean. Taking the photo just slightly above center usually works the best for me. It tends to show off the coloration very well. Hope this makes sense.

Jon

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Jon.

Hey is that turkey the kind of thing Jaws looks for when she is on her walks? Looks more like a meal than an appetizer :-)

LOL. Neither "Jaws" (the leash trained alligator) or myself has ever seen any turkeys running wild on the streets on South Florida. She's most keen of just Purina Alligator Chow, mixed field greens and Hibiscus "Swamp Music". She's quite keen on Swamp Music cause the name reminds her of home.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

awww!!!

Here's another photo, from this morning, of Hibiscus "Voodoo Magic".
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, & thanks for the tips on taking pictures! I'll try them.

Thanks. As you can see in the last picture, it was taken from slightly above the plants and not horizontally.
Jon

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I do see that now, appreciate you pointing it out to me. I just happened to notice your pots this time too. What size are they? Also have you affixed something to the cement, to help keep your pots in place?

Most of mine are now in 8 or 10 or 12 inch pots with nothing affixed to the bottom of them. I do add extra holes around the bottom of the pots so that they won't hold extra water. You don't want these hibiscus to sit in water. If you receive a hibiscus in a 4 inch pot then, when it is necessary, pot it up to a 6 or 8 inch pot. I'll chose a 6 inch pot if the plant is smaller. If the plant you receive is a bit larger and looks like it will quickly outgrow the 6 inch pot, then I'll skip the 6 inch pot and repot into an 8 inch pot (to save some extra work). I will repot, an existing plant, up to the next size when one of two things happens. If the roots are starting to grow out of the bottom holes, then pot up a size. If the potted hibiscus is getting tall and is easily toppled over in wind, then pot up a size. I'm sure others may have various opinions. This is just what I find works best for me. Hope this information makes sense, and is helpful.

Best regards,
Jon

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Chuck7701, your "Red beans and Rice" is beautiful, hope the other ones you purchase recupperate soon so you can post more photos. Jon, like always, really gorgeous blooms and great photos, "Magic Moment" looks gigantic for the size of your plant, and the second photo of "Voodoo Magic" looks like one of the photos you would see on a gardening magazine cover, great shot.

OK!... first there was flying perlites and vermiculite,... than there's the pet gators on leashes named Jaws,... now we got runaway turkeys or is it, turkeys gone wild, whats next.......dancing fishes on rollers skates....LOL!....Hey Dave, great turkey pic, thanks.

Wilfred

Happy Fathers Day!..... to all dads on this forum.

Thanks Wilfred. That "Voodoo Magic" is blooming like magic lately. The bloom explosion is the result of a heavy pruning job to thin a "leggy" looking plant 2 months ago. It has really filled back in nicely.
Well today it is soooo hot here in South Florida the gecko lizards are wearing goggles and sunscreen and doing laps in the swimming pool. They just keep going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.
Jon

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

OK! OK!... we all know you what to tell us about your other pet gecko, so stop biting around the bush and out with it....what the name of your gecko lizards.LOL!
Robert, now besides the gator he has, he also has a gecko lizard. what do you think about that.

I think I'm going to do the same thing to my Voodoo Magic, it's kind of leggy also and hardly no blooms, thanks Jon.

Wilfred

p.s. you should really do an album of your hib photos and send it to a garden magazine company, I think they would really like them.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!....to all dads on this forum.

I would definitely recommend the heavy prune to large leggy hibiscus plants. You sacrifice a couple of months of blooms but the wait is well worth it. Most of the geckos come and go as they please. The only two that always hang out by the pool are named "Pete" and "Repeat". I've done a few flower photo albums, but just for my mom. A couple of nurseries in here area have looked at it. That much I do know.

Jon

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Would this happen to be Pete staring at me.

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

And this one be Repeat jumping

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I think Pete just got a little angry here.

Thumbnail by WQP

That does like Repeat when he was jumping off the diving board into the pool earlier.

Lol Pete, Repeat and Jaws...any other critters you'd like to tell us about Jon?

Hi Dee
Well there is a stray goat that's been living up the street at an intersection in some undeveloped land for a couple of years. I don't think she has a name yet though. She does direct the traffic when the street signals go out in a power loss. She likes to stand on the sidewalk and watch the traffic during her downtime.
Jon

Weatherford, TX(Zone 7b)

Officer Nanny is her name. She is a relative of my 14 year old goat Penelope. She says to tell her hello and toss her some oatmeal cookies for old times sake.

Got that Jon, Oatmeal cookies! Lol

Weedlady, seeing as you are a family member of sorts..do those need to be homemade? Jon needs to keep Officer Nanny happy :-)

d

Research says 4 out of 5 goats prefer homemade soft n chewy over the other leading brands.

Hey, if you're baking...send some my way! I love oatmeal cookies preferably without raisins :-)

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I ain't no goat but I sure love homemade oatmeal cookies, baaaaaaa! LOL!

Wilfred

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Jon, where DO you find all your info, must be some sort of research site, but what could it be? You're one smart hibster!

Anyone got pictures from today?

BTW Wilfred, I take my oatmeal cookies with raisins & a cold glass of milk (hey dee, :-p to you). LOL Hmmm...milk?

Hmm, it's a combination of a little bit fact, a little bit fiction with a sprinkling of a wild imagination. If you're referring to hibiscus "stuff" it's two years of trial and error and reading a lot of additional information about hibiscus on the online retailer websites that sell hibiscus. We all learn from each other also on this website which, I'm sure everyone agrees, is quite helpful. Correctamundo everyone?

Correctamundo Jon...but I'm still waiting for those oatmeal cookies! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.