It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June! Part 3

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Clear & Sunny w/ a nice breeze.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau try Achillea 'Pretty Belinda' for your Yarrow.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78449/

Ric

(Zone 7a)

It rained and now it's hot and humid. It will rain again later.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

82° (Heat Index 84°) at 9:30 PM.
ENOUGH of this late August stuff already!

Quiet here today!
We putzed around for a few hours this morning then headed for Dayton.
Stopped in to see Dad and drop off his gift.
We got there just as my Little Sis, BIL and Kids did so we all had a good visit.
Dad even knew we were his kids! Not our names but.... lol!
He's doing well for 90 years young.

Then did a pickup of some of the tools and stuff we left during the remodel.
Slid home about 5 and just vegged in front of the tube.
I went next door to check the veggies and set w/ the neighbors for a bit.
So my Father's Day was to just chill! lol

Sharon here's why I didn't have much trouble doing an ID on the Brug.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau here's our Yarrow.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We did have a little excitement,
A baby seal washed up on the beach....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Ric!!

Hot and very humid. No breeze tonight that we can tell. Planted the last of a bunch of plants to go in the ground and stayed inside in the air conditioning. Normally that don't come on til around the 4th of July but it has been too hot not to have it on.

Whiskers decided to destroy one of my catmints one day. Every time I got my hand near him he attacked. He was not leaving the mint and he wasn't allowing me near it either!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What fun to live in the north! It is 9:47 PM & still not entirely dark.
Another round of storms tonight. Almost in the same area as Wed. storms. Reports of 4" & more of rain. Reports of tornado, but not official yet or no damage reports.

I went to a neighbors to get some straw today. The guy likes to talk, so ended up taking 2½ hours. Should have been an hour, tops. Oh well, it's Sunday!
When I got home I worked on a flower bed. Weeded the whole thing & got the boundries back where they belong. Lawn sure likes to creep in.
Then I planted a couple Hostas & some plants from the Round Up. Also threw in some annuals to fill in large open areas.
I mulched the whole thing with cypress mulch. I love the stuff! I did some other beds 2 years ago & they are still not bad for weeds. It should be renewed every summer. I will be doing that from now on. Lots easier than pulling weeds.
I'll get a picture tomorrow.
Bernie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good evening! I did not mow the lawn Saturday morning. I decided Sally was right, and I wasn't ready. Thanks, Sally! :-) Charles got home just fine last night. Yayyy! He was exhausted, understandably enough. He was up for about 32 straight hours - and it was all Saturday! LOL He woke up at 6:30 Saturday morning there (which was 4:30 pm on Friday here) and went to bed at around midnight here. The girls and I got up and tiptoed out to church this morning so we wouldn't wake him up. Sleeping in was the best Father's Day present we could have given him. :-) Tomorrow morning we start vacation Bible school at church. That's always fun - and exhausting. :-)

The weather forecast hasn't changed a bit - highs in the upper 90s, lows in the mid 70s. Heat indexes of 100+. The humidity is starting to creep back up to normal, which makes the heat even more overbearing, but also gives me hope that maybe the weather pattern is starting to break up and we might get some rain again soon.

Charles took a lot of photos, including some at a national park that they visited. I'll post a few of them. There will probably be more later. I haven't seen the second half of them yet.

The national park was a kind of heritage park for buddhist temples from different times. They trucked a bunch of temples from various parts of South Korea there and restored them. Here is a tall one...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This one was pretty.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The details were amazing!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

To the side of the path leading to the temples was a pretty stream.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Another view of the stream.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This rock has a tree growing out of it!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Pretty tree shot...

In the cities, even the small-ish ones, the people are packed in SOOO tightly, that most people live in high rise apartments. It's a very mountainous country with not a lot of arable land, but they make the most of what they have. Tucked between buildings are lots of little gardens or rice patties. He had some photos of them... I'll try to find them tomorrow. Right now I need to get the bunnies to bed. They're still really excited about Daddy being home. :-) But we have to get up early tomorrow to get to church. Good night!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Celia – Cute bee pic!
Ric _ A nice way to spend the day – chillin’! That brug looks a tad familiar LOL! The yarrow is pretty and what a cute beached furry whale!
Pepper – “Stay away from the catmint”!
Bernie – I’m looking forward to the day I can enjoy staying outside and getting something done.
Marylyn – I’m so glad Charles made it home. Jet lag is no fun. The pictures turned out great. I’m looking forward to seeing more.

81.3 °F {{{whimper}}}
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 4.8 mphfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in(Steady)
Heat Index: 84 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 94. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

WX liars got it wrong. We are not back to normal, still in the 90's.

We had a "brown out" yesterday. The electricity went out at 3pm for almost 2 hours. It was 96*. The house got up to 85*. It finally came back on and I was able to start F-Day dinner. It was still 82* at 10pm in the house.

My new begonia that I haven't been able to plant because it's so dang hot...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

67.8º
High of 92º predicted today. But with a breeze. That will save us.
Humidity is supposed to be high.
We will work outside this morning, then inside the rest of the day.
My workers will be here early & go home at noon.

Off to trim tomatoes!
Bernie

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's cloudy and breezy, had a rainshower earlier this morning. Rained las night as well. Current temperature is around 48-50°F. Looks like more of the same for the rest of the week. Sunrise this morning was at 2:56 am, sunset at 12:04 am.

There was no break in the clouds around midnight last night so there was no sunset to photo .... hopefully someday soon the sun will come out ;-)

Marylyn - I know you were all happy to get your DH back home ..... great photos from his trip! :-)

Sorry most of you are so hot ...... I wouldn't want to switch places with you ....

Hope you all have a wonderful day and mangage to stay cool!

Rann

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep Bernie there's no sense killing anyone.

When I worked fence as a 20's we had three weeks over 100º.
And we worked mostly on Parking Lots for GM at that time.
We started work at 4 AM worked till Noon.
The Roofers started at Midnight.
We were still sinking into the asphalt .......

73° Dewpoint: 66° Wind: NE 3 MPH
Humidity: 79% at 9:45 AM.
Going for 86°
but the night time temps are supposed to drop into the low/mid 60's ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Our new 12" planters.
A TGIF Sale item. Only $5.99.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 7a)

Ric, sounds like you had a great father's Day. I love the new additions to the family! LOL And that cat...sorry...baby seal...looks familiar to ME!

Sharon, the begonia is very pretty. What's it's name?

Marylyn, I love those temples!!! So much history there. Thanks for sharing them.

Bernie, we have a neighbor who's a talker, too. Takes us a half an hour just to get out of our driveway sometimes. ^_^ I hope no one was hurt in your "tornado".

Pepper, Whiskers is defending his territory!

Rann, yes, you're lucky you don't get our hot temps. I don't know if I could handle as much daylight as you get.

55.4 °F with 76º for the high. I think we might be done with the rain for awhile. Yippee!
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 45 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Beebalm.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Earthquakes today~ the distance is from Palmer.
The one, at 11:28, happened while I was grocery shopping. Canned food was dropping off shelves to the floor and was a bit unnerving.
Been quite a swarm of them:
Skwentna, AK 55 miles 4.0 11:56 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 52 miles 3.1 11:46 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 62 miles 2.8 11:40 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 54 miles 3.2 11:35 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
Skwentna, AK 54 miles 5.4 11:28 AM AKDT 2009-06-22
A very nice 55* with storms moving across the mountaintops.
No darkess~but, a loss of a few seconds daylight now.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

That does sound unnerving. Once in a while I think of things like that when I'm in the store. Glad you're o.k.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: You said it was like your May and June had switched places. For us, it is like June and August have switched places. I hope that means that we'll have cooler temps in July and August--one can always hope!! Nice midnight sunset photo!
Ric: that's a pretty yarrow but I don't think it is the same as mine. Mine is not quite that pink. Kathy Ann knows the name of it--she is the DGer who gave it to me. I'll have to ask her what it is for sure. When I saw the words "a baby seal washed up on the beach", I thought: There are no beaches in Ohio!" LOLOL Nice bargain pots--I'm assuming they came with the plants in them?
Marylyn: Okay--I missed something--must have been while I was in Canada. Last I knew, Charles was in Maine working on the cabin and now you are sending us photos of Buddhist temples!? Where did he go? Love the pics, by the way. Your weather forecast sounds just like ours! :o((
Pepper: LOL! I guess that is why they call it "cat"mint! I have some Walker's Low Catmint but no outside cats around here--at least that I know of.
Bernie: sounds like you got a lot done yesterday. 92ºF is cooler? I thought that was HOT for MN. Our sunsets are later, too, but it is usually fairly dark by 9 p.m. here.
Celia: nice bee photo. Pretty bee balm, too. The bumblebees and other flying critters just love my beebalm blooms. There were at least half a dozen bees buzzing around them the other morning. Friday tries to catch them, silly pup! It will probably only take one sting on the nose or inside his mouth and that will be the last of his bee chasing efforts!
Sharon: love the Luna hib and the begonia How's the ajuga doing in the salt air?

Whew, it's HOT, HOT, HOT!! Currently 99ºF on my back porch (in the shade)--I have no idea what the heat index is but it feels like an oven out there! I had to water the flower beds this morning--they were beginning to suffer from the extremely hot temps and no rain in over a week. Actually, I didn't stand outside and hold the water hose--just moved the sprinkler around every so often. I managed to get some mowing done with the push mower while the shade was still in the backyard (before the sun got very high)--just did the areas I can't get to with the riding mower. Tomorrow night I need to mow again with the riding mower.

Here's a pic of my front yard's heart-shaped flower bed. Ric: see how big the Illustris EE's are now? They were mostly the size of the pups I sent you not too long ago.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: we crossed--that is unnerving, to say the least!

Here is a bee on the beebalm--Imagine that--LOL!!!

Thumbnail by marsue
Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Marsue that bee balm is certainly pretty.

Do you need to dig up those elephant ears or are they hardy where you live?

Greta

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, petra! The Illustris and the other EE (noid) made it through our winter this past season, but they had about 6 inches of mulch on top of them. Some folks say their EE's didn't make it. I do have a lime zinger which was in a pot and I brought it inside this past winter.

I thought it had died but here is what it looks like now.

Thumbnail by marsue

Rann – I felt better just reading your temps!
Celia – No tag on the begonia. I have to get it ID’d.
Kiska – Wow – you guys got whammy’ed today. Glad you didn’t get hurt. Your temps sound wonderful too!
Mau – I’m with you. I hope our temps “chill”, but I have a feeling the temps are going to get worse. I hate to tell you, but neither of the ajuga’s made it. It was worth a try though. I’m going to get the lantana sent this weekend. I was going to mail last weekend, but figured it wouldn’t make it in the heat wave. Pretty flowerbed!
Celia and Mau – Love that beebalm!

86.0 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 61 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.71 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 86 °F
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be strong through the evening. Low 74. East winds 5 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyy!! It's raining! What a wonderful sound! ^_^

Marilyn, Charles did go to Maine, the first week of June. He was there for a week, came home for 4 days, and then took off again for a business trip in South Korea. Hopefully that was his last trip for a while! He had a great time while he was there, though. He took some training classes on a new device that the company he is working for is going to be carrying and servicing. When they weren't taking the classes, they were shuttled around the country to several different plants to see the products, and got to do quite a bit of sightseeing, too. And they ate some great food! He says that kim chi is pretty good - he doesn't like cabbage and isn't particularly fond of pickles, so he found it quite a surprise that he would like pickled (well, fermented) cabbage. LOL He tried quite a few other new things, and liked most of it. He didn't know what these fruits were.... Does anyone here know? He said they taste a lot like melon, but with a different texture.

Awww... the rain stopped. I hope we get more! A week or so ago we had one of those survey companies call us on the phone. I don't mind doing most of them, so I let the guy ask his questions. The point of the call was obviously to gauge/raise public disfavor with the way the city government was handling flooding and drainage issues. The questions were VERY leading. One of the things he asked was "Why do you think Houston has so many flooding problems?" Well, let's see... Downtown Houston is only about 50 feet above sea level. (We're a little higher here on the northwest side.) It was built on a huge swamp that used to filter our 50+ inches of annual rainfall into the Gulf. Now that the swamps are covered with 600+ square miles of pavement, there is nowhere for the water to go. It doesn't matter what the political opinions of any of the current members of city government are - there' only so much they can do about all of that water!

In the end, I don't think my participation helped his numbers at all. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Sunshine and 83 degrees with a gentle breeze - Now you can't beat that! It was a little odd to have no rain today. Daylilies are starting t bloom all over the place. A lot have white speckles on them ( thrip damage) and I have not been able to spray in the past month because of rain.

Mornings here are breaking cool and calm - heavenly!! We are bothin good health and are richly blessed.

HOT and HUMID!! We hit 93 with a heat index of 110. We had a small breeze at work but it really wasn't enough to keep me cool on my last day outside.

Squirrel eating our cat food. They just love Meow Mix!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Just in. Decided it was better to work outside after dark. A little cooler.
I am putting a wood floor over the dirt in the veggie washing room. I got enough done to use it tomorrow. Veggies are coming fast in this heat.
92º today, although one bank showed 98º.
Cooling off fast, down to 80º right now. Humidity is high.
I took a couple hours off for supper & then watched "Bachelorette."
Son went & helped his sister & hubby lay blocks for their house addition. Another project for us, like we need more.
Bernie

we've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006249/

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

72 º and humid right now. I have to find a decent time to mow.

Yesterday was oppressive, but I was out most of the day puttering.

Sunday night, two tornados were spotted west and south of us in other counties. They didn't continue on, so we were lucky again. We got 2 1/10'' rain out of the storm, and the power was off a few hours. We had standing water all over town, but most was soaking in by mid morning. I live on the ''high'' end and only had ditch water.

I'll catch up when I can. DH just woke up and will want to read the newspaper on the computer.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Hello,

I still kick and alive well, it darn hotter for last now 3 days I stay home last 2 days to keep me cool... This is what I was living in California but not humid just very dry...

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/088.html#HEA

New thread: www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006249/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.