I planted this last fall, no idea what it is.....

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Last fall, I planted this clem- it was labeled Dr. Ruppel and I planted one on each side of my deck- one resembles a Dr. Ruppel (although now I'm not so sure it is the correct ID either), this one clearly does not. This plant just began to bloom while my Dr. Ruppel's are nearly done. This photo is of the very first bloom- there are SO many buds I can't even believe it. I believe that the pink tone is a bit more muted than the photo depicts. This is only my second year gardening and I made a ton of mistakes last year- I was very stressed personally and became a bit gardening obsessed. My memory during that time is rather foggy and I didn't keep any records at all. So, I'm thankful to the plant ID forum for so much of their assistance. I have found though that the plant ID forum isn't necessarily clematis-saavy- hopefully this isn't the wrong forum to post for an ID. Please let me know if it is! Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by MTnic
Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Is it a Hagley Hybrid?

New Richmond, OH

Welcome MT, it looks like Hagley to me. I have only been "into" clems for a couple years and only "seriously" this year! This is a wonderful forum, many knowledgeable and friendly folks who are so helpful, who may have other suggestions. I had a Hagley where we lived before we moved here and yours looks like it to me. I have learned so much here and I think you will love it! Nancy

Delaware, OH

yes it is a hagley hybrid. the opening shape and color, the tiny bit of inky blue at the base of the anthers are tell tale identifyiers.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yup..It's "Hagley's Hybrid" aka "Pink Chiffon"...Jeanne

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=196

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your wisdom...

Delaware, OH

is your hagley in partial shade? the color will retain better if it is.

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

It has a southern exposure but is partially shaded by the our awning as well as large aspens on each side. Another bud opened this morning- it is much darker than the first one- do the colors vary? Also, I noticed this morning that the leaves near the bottom are turning yellow, as are the bottom leaves of my Dr. Ruppels (at least I THINK they are Dr. Ruppels, I wouldn't be surprised if every clematis I own was purchased as something else). Is there some way I can combat this or is it normal? It doesn't appear normal.

Delaware, OH

they are darker when they open and smaller as the bloom season wanes. depends on the amount of sun.
browning bottom leaves can be from too much water, not enough water or can be just normal.
i usually pick off brown leaves by hand if they are unsightly. darker clems almost always get browning at the bottom, it is usually normal, but sometimes exaggerated by our care, the location etc.

dr r notoroius for this in my garden

Red Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh that is good to hear. If I am indeed overwatering, it is due only to God because it just won't stop raining around here. I read somewhere it could be some mineral deficiency but if it is normal for Dr. Ruppel in your garden, I will take your word! Thanks so much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.