Lost another Bradford Pear

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This just happened today, while I was out playing with Wall-e I hear the tell tale noise of a tree falling and peek around the corner of my shrubs......to see this.....

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We lost one last year and knew it was just a matter of time before we lost the other 2.

I'm calling around tomorrow for tree service to take the last one down, it's right against the house....noticed today it has a little crack so it'll be coming down real soon and I don't want it falling on the house.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The only thing that really stinks is the one near the house creates my shade garden I've been working on...I'll have to dig up all my stuff so it doesn't get trampled by their equipment.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Whoa, tough break Jen. (ugh bad pun was not intended.)
We saw some limbs break in a windy storm last week. But maybe yours was due to all the rain this spring causing the tree to put on leaves faster. Isn't it weird to see a tree just break on a still day? We had a sick old big willow come down like that. And once I saw a small dead tree fall in the woods edge with no wind at all.

You probably knew they'd come down eventually...but to wreck your shade garden plan stinks!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We were def thinking it was from all the rain.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's sad to lose a tree, much less several of them. :>(

Mechanicsville, MD

I hate losing trees too. All this crazy weather probably weakened the trees. If you want to get a tree in quick to save your shade plants, crepe mrytles can still be planted. In this area it is crepe mrytle month. All the nurseries get them in droves and have pretty good selections.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My hubby decided he is taking over that area. That area leads to the double gate to get into the backyard and he has always hated that tree, he's going to be putting down pavers and using it to store his trailer for work and maybe make an additional parking space(he said for his boat).

Here's the area fro my new shade garden(I do not have too many areas that have shade)

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A shade garden there would be beautiful, Jen. I think you came out the winner here.

Mechanicsville, MD

I like the new spot. You can plant taller shade plants along the fence line. I suggest you take up as much space as you want and make a really nice area to sit on your bench and relax.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen Sorry to hear about the trees. I hate losing trees although sometimes it does open up other different possibilities.

we do have to let the Others and their Non Plant needs get consideration sometimes. I shortened a bed this year to add backyard parking--it wasn't so painful. It wasn't such a nice area anyway.

Mechanicsville, MD

Sometimes we have to let them keep plants they want like the grass on the lawn. LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tree guys coming today to take the 2 trees down.

Laid down newpaper yesterday for the new garden.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tree guys never showed up today, I think the guy forgot to write it down, said he was stuck at another job, if it doesn't rain tomorrow they'll be out. I drove past where they said they were working and saw no one..hmmmm do ya think he was lying?

What, hired people lying? Oh my faith in humanity....LOL My friend had the worst time with a crew she hired for renovation. You'd swear they worked long enough to get drunk, or something, then got drunk until they needed the money again.
Wish you all saw the crew I saw in Ollies Outlet. One older guy obviously in his handyman clothes, saw me eyeballing some flooring and said 'we do that...and plumbing.. and..." He and his two associates then displayed very Keystone Remodeler Kops behavior for the next twenty minutes. They were unbelieveable.

But--good luck , hopefully they'll show up soon and be a good crew after all.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well it's pouring today so they obviously won't be coming today.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

My ex hired a couple of those work just long enough to get beer money guys to reroof our house one time, then paid them the entire fee at the end of the first day. Needless to say, we never saw them again but they had a heck of a toot.

I hope your tree guys show up today, Jen.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I see one fabulous shade garden in the making. I'll be thinking of some plants to share with you!! Do you have a fireplace? Can you use the wood? Don't forget all of the good uses for the sawdust.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They were able to get one tree down yesterday and a 1/2 of the other before it started pouring here. Guess I'll be seeing them again on Monday.
You know I''ll take anything you're willing to give me ^_^

I have a pellet stove so no good for me, but my neighbor has a firepit and he'll take anything I give him.

Oh yeah, I already have plans for all the sawdust.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm glad they finally got at part of the trees done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.