Some plant bargains

Shenandoah Valley, VA

At Lowes today:

MONSTER and really healthy looking crepe myrtles for $9.98. They were very full and as tall as I am in 3 gallon pots.

Several perennials marked down from $3.33 to $2. Nice, big fuschias for $2.50 in big pots. I'm sure these were a lot more than the sale price originally. They looked very healthy. Annuals marked down to 98 cents. Some pretty mangy looking perennials in big pots marked down to $2.50. These were alive but going to need some TLC.

At Walmart:

Lots of 4-packs of begonias marked down to 84 cents. Purpleheart marked down to $2 from $4. Some nice May Night salvias marked down to $2. Very healthy looking "annual" dahlias marked down to $1.25. If you lift the tubers, those dahlias won't be annual.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Fuschias sound worth it for the pots. I'm so glad I spent one dolla for a bloomed out bromeliad so I could get the clay pot, and the pupping brom for fun. I just planted up the clay pot with- one 50 cent clearance kalanchoe, a rooted cutting of Chantell 's cup leaf jade, and a small pregnant onion--voila Father's Day gift , dirt cheap HAR HAR HAR

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I got several perennials at Lowes this week for $1...And their single pot annuals were .50.......I live close to 2 and I shopped both and had a cart full both times...Good buys now......

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL - Sally you crack me up!!!

For those that have signed up for HD's gardening club you should be rec'ing another buy one get one free coupon in the mail if you haven't already.
For those close to Betty's Azalea Ranch they've got some pretty swell coupons here: http://www.bettysazalearanch.com/specials.htm

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Our Walmart has apparently decided the planting season is over. All the stuff that was outside - mulch, soil, trees, paving stones, etc. are gone. Doesn't look like much is coming in new in plants. They had geraniums on sale for 37 cents but they looked so bad, they should pay you to take them home.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...now THAT'S simply depressing...

They SHOULD pay us to take them for the soil and pot and keep all that OUT OF THE LANDFILL!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amen sistah!! Amen!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

For those of you in MD Meadows Farms:

Central Avenue & Ruckersville Nurseries only

SEASON ENDING
SPECIAL

40% OFF All Purchases

Central Avenue
Located on Central Avenue, 9 miles east of the Beltway
18301 Central Avenue, Mitchelville, MD 20716
301-249-2933

Ruckersville/Charlottesville
Located on Route 29, 1/4 mile north of Rt. 33 intersection
217 Moore Road, Ruckersville, VA 22968
434-990-1237

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Annie's Annuals: Do not pass up our fabby online

20% off SALE* Every juicy thing your heart desires is on sale now thru July 5th!

*Sale does not extend to previous purchases and cannot be combined with other offers. Sale valid ONLINE only thru midnight July 5, 2009.

ONLINE ORDERS ONLY! ONLINE ORDERS ONLY!
http://www.anniesannuals.com/

On a side note: Great selection but warning ahead of time...shipping is expensive

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 4:47 PM

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Lowes in CArlisle had daylilies for $2 today.....H came home and told me but brought me none...So I guess I will go check it out tomorrow.....

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Lowes in Winchester today had a sign saying all trees were 75% off. I didn't have time to look and see what they had.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

FYI stopped by Southern States today while doing my Sat. job....this weekend ALL trees and shrubs 75% off!!! Picked up a Butterfly Bush and Jasmine - 3 gal size....maybe a tad smaller but larger then 1 gal size...for...ready?

!!! TWO DOLLARS EACH !!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Did you get to Webers? They had a highly scented yellow climbing rose. Scent from Above I think.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sadly Diane, when I mapped out the stores....Webers was way out of the way...they did ask me to do the Winchester stores this time. I knew I needed to get back in time to make dinner so we could watch Chloe with the fireworks so....*sniffle, sniffle* I didn't get up there. Wish I had time hearing you describe that one, though.

Monrovia, MD

Not where I usually look for plants - but the Giant Fod Store I stopped in the other day had a basket of clearance items in the flower dept. In it were four lovely african violets. There were a couple of broken leaves on each and the were past a recent bloom peak - but the leaves were bright and the plants looked otherwise healthy. I paid a dollar each for four of them. I've not had luck with AV before but I figure for that price I can experiment!

Thumbnail by yvgfjayne
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Great find there!! AV's aren't difficult...if you find a place they like - filtered light and don't over water they do well w/o any help!!!

Good find, I think I would have taken those too! I have one grocery nearby that sometimes lets some decent stuff go in a clearance cart.
My Lowes' had NO deals today. About all full price except a cart of dead stuff.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Deal Alert: Big Lots - 30% off gardening "stuff" - was hoping for higher % off but beggers can't be choosy - least that's what Grandma always says...and my roses NEED an arbor...yesterday...LOL. So plan is to clear MY car of car seats and put the seat down (mercy I miss my mini-van sometimes) then slide that big ole box in....whaaa whoooo!!

Hooray! I had a feeling I should be cruising Big lots et al about now...I just got a flier from Harbor freight tools and will not be able to resist the 20$solar fountain pump, and a few other tempting items...I have one of those nearby too. Had no idea the variety of stuff they sell

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

RUN!!! I went back over last Sat. night...and there was ONE left of the type I wanted. There had been - at least 6 when I went the first time...ugh

Eeks- after all a solar fountain pump can be justiied as a science experiment for the kids, and has engineer appeal too. I want to play with it.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Went to Lowe's late last night and got a really good sized cinquefoil for $4.00 (was marked $14) and some good sized red petunias for 1.00 each. These will fill in some empty spots nicely.

Sounds nice! My Lowes today didn't have any really tempting clearance. Well, I WAS tempted by the tiny teeny mini liriope- that stuff is cute but I have no spot for it offhand. But what I DID find was an employee who asked my feedback on the Bayer product I was buying CUZ HE WANTS TO EDUCATE HIMSELF AND BE A GOOD RESOURCE FOR HIS CUSTOMERS--WHAT a SHOCK to find!

on second thought I may sneak back for the mini liriope, never know when it may come in 'handy'. I saw a large planter of it at a botanical garden and it was really neat.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm I found more of those hard plastic (the short size) stakes at HD....weren't on sale but I hate when I don't buy enough early in the season and then I can't find them. These dang tropicals put on growth this time of year outside, I tell you!!!
Lots of ceramic pots (beautiful warm earth tones - nice and deep 6" - like "rose pots") clearanced at my Walmart 1/2 price...only $3. Needless to say I FINALLY planted up ALL my hoya cuttings that have been rooting for the last 2 months...ugh

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wish I could "cruise" Big Lots more often, I love that place! Nearest one is over a half hour away so all those bargains are going home with someone else :( I did pick up a nice Eucomis a couple of weeks ago at Lowes - my first "bargain" this year! It probably won't be hardy for us but it's a really cool plant and at $3.00 who could resist? LOL

ack--there is a WM close to me (like everybody in North America ?) and I love deep pots, esp at 3 $
I am liking the fiberglass pot I found at Ollies Bargain Outlet. Then there's DJ Liquidators which also usually has some garden stuff.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

God help me if I had all those around me...bad enough Walmart...ugh.
Debbie - 1/2 hour? No problem...think of all the goodies you could get. I'm still thinking about those big "wagon" wheels...just not sure where it would go and would it end up being termite food instead of a vine home?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

"1/2 hour? No problem..." You wouldn't think, would you? LOL I must be getting old, used to be I'd jump in the car and think nothing of an hour's drive to get something I wanted! Heck I have a hard enough time just finding time to drive 15 min. to the other side of town for Walmart and Lowes! These are the two bargains I found this summer when I DID find the time :) The $3.00 Eucomis that is questionable whether it will make it through our winter. The tag doesn't give a species so I'm not sure if it's hardy for us. We've had success with other Eucomis which are supposedly only hardy to Zone 7 so maybe I'll luck out with this one!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And this unique one, another $3.00 bargain :) I think there's a tag in it but I can't remember what it is right now. It's still sending up more flowers but even the blasted blooms are pretty and I love the foliage! For $3.00 it was definitely a bargain because even if it doesn't make it through the winter inside the attractive pot it was planted in is a bonus :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Oops, was driving me nuts not knowing what this plant is - just checked the label and it wasn't that great a bargain - $6.50 :( Regardless I still like the plant and now I finally know what it is! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55371/

When you think about buying a pot by itself--it makes sense to buy some of these cheap plants with the nice or semi-nice pots. The orchids never get really cheap but they are usually in cute little ceramic pots.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Tis true...tis true...like those plants Debbie...

Should add regarding Cannas which spent the summer in the nursery and then get clearnaced . I bought several pots one yr and they did not come back the next year at all like I'd hoped. Summer in the pot may not have been enough to renew the rhizome well. If you try those or similar, keep that in mind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.