New to CP but psyched!

Monrovia, MD

Well we went to the "festival" at Lilypons - our local aquatic plant center - and there was the nicest fellow there that raises CP's. They were all so beautiful I had to buy a little mini-bowl and two potted plants I will put in a beautiful big jar - a pitcher plant and a needle leaved sundew. WiIl try to send a photo. Here's the website - anyone ever heard of this guy? He was really nice and seems very knowedgable. http://carnivorousplantnursery.com/index.htm

Thumbnail by yvgfjayne
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Are these your first CPs? :) For me it quickly developed into an obsession.

If you are combining plants make sure they have the same dormancy requirements before you do so. For example, your pitcher plant, if it is a Sarracenia, will need to go dormant during winter. I grow mine outside year round, and where you are at, they can stay out too. But depending on the species of Sundew, you may need to bring it in in the winter. If it is a D. filiformis, then you could plant them together. For Sarracenias, it is much easier to grow them outside. They require a lot of sun.

A few good sources:

cobraplants.com

International Carnivorous Plant Society http://www.carnivorousplants.org/

-The Savage Garden- by Peter D'Amato

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Heard of the site. The pitcher plant belongs OUTSIDE in FULL Sun, no tap water. Rain or distilled or reverse osmosis water ONLY. The sundew we need a bit more info on.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Tommy is absolutely correct. I would also add Sundews are even more sensitive to the water. They absolutely need rain, distilled water or RO. No tap, no well.

However the type of sundew determines where you should be growing it. Most of mine are outside in full sun, but there are a few that would not appreciate those conditions.

Monrovia, MD

Well - I will have to see if I can figure out what kind I have...thanks for your replies!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Post a couple pictures, we might be able to help you. :)

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Pitcher plants in full sun here in Florida too?? Cause that's all I have...FULL SUN *S* I'd like to add some Pitcher Plants to my front landscaping bed, and also a couple out back near the BBQ area, (they are awsome to look at & something to help with the bugs when we're out there.)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

They need full sun, even in Florida. Anything less than full sun, they wither away eventually. The trick is to keep them wet. Keep in mind S. minor is native to Hillsborough County and much of Florida north of here. There are quite a few species native to Florida, and they live in open, boggy meadows -- in full sun. If you want to put your CPs in your landscaping, you must make a bog to contain the plants. They can't handle regular soil and must have rain or distilled water -- no tap/hose/ well/reclaimed. You have to keep them contained and plant in 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite or sand.

You can get plants at the fall plant festival at USF Botanical Garden and Bob McMorris is an excellent vendor. He grows all his plants outside so they don't go into shock when you bring them home. He lives in Oldsmar, so the plants are used to living in Florida. :) He also sells fantastic mini bogs that contain several plants. They are gorgeous.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

OH , I'd love to attend that festival, I have alot to learn about these lil buggers. Any other tips I should know? *S* Thanks a bunch, starsplitter7

north coast nsw, Australia

When you's say pitcher plants are you just talking about Sarracenias? As these do need full sun but Nepenthes are also called pitcher plants and they like half shade or greenhouse conditions.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am sorry I haven't been around. I got a job that takes up a lot of my free time. :(

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Well. Bree those are beautiful. USF Botanical garden is located where? I got to look it up.
That is a wonderful reason to go to Fla.
Thanks for info.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.cas.usf.edu/garden/
The next big show is probably in April. I go every year. I am a volunteer there, and if you go to the show in April, let me know. I would be happy to show you around the Carnivorous plant displays. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.